Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
Slippycurb

Re: Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Post by Slippycurb » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks Mots, I will look into this at the weekend, I have a ton of assignments due and haven't had a chance to look at the python file properly yet....
Thanks

Verylofi

Post by Verylofi » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi

I would like to know if this cool script will work for the launchpad mini?

Slippycurb

Post by Slippycurb » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:33 pm

So Mr Mots,
If i want the 1st 5 midi channels available to synths controlled from my oxygenv8, I could open "MainSelectorComponent.py" thats installed in my ableton folder into Notepad++ and do a search for say "new_channel = 1" and change it to "new_channel = 6" and then do the same for "new_channel = 2" and change it to "new_channel = 7" and basically make sure that no channels =< 5 are being used by the launchpad, this would allow me to use the LP?
Is this the only file I need to edit?
thanks!! :mrgreen:

mots

Post by mots » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Slippycurb wrote:So Mr Mots,
If i want the 1st 5 midi channels available to synths controlled from my oxygenv8, I could open "MainSelectorComponent.py" thats installed in my ableton folder into Notepad++ and do a search for say "new_channel = 1" and change it to "new_channel = 6" and then do the same for "new_channel = 2" and change it to "new_channel = 7" and basically make sure that no channels =< 5 are being used by the launchpad, this would allow me to use the LP?
Is this the only file I need to edit?
thanks!! :mrgreen:
hello ! yes that should be about it !
but keep in mind that instrument mode uses 4 channels (3 above the one you specified). and also channel number in the script starts at 0, not 1. (so from 0 to 15 instead of 1 to 16)

also i posted a small update on Launchpad95 :
- updated instrument controller colours
- added some new scales modes.
- minor bug in step seq.

as usual available on http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/ and github.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Oh boy. You're just full of surprises. I'll definitely be giving this a try!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:58 am

I really get INTO it when I use this.

The feel of it seemed more solid. Ran very smoothly. And tampering with the modes was inspiring. I totally strummed a 'tuning' chord in E haha

Step sequencing was also exciting.

And I had fun automating the shit out of some rack knobs, and then watching them bounce up and down.

I don't recall offhand. But do you have the record and automation buttons on the parameter control page?? I reached to my computer to turn the automation on, because I have it off by default.

If you can't tell, I love this script. And I beat the shit out of my launchpad so much better than my Push haha

dengelman

Post by dengelman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:29 am

Q about pad color, for colorblind users.

I have previously used script with LaunchpadColor, which is also very easy to modify the .py (for me all the colors are fairly ambiguous, so I set playing clips as blinking as that is very obvious).

However this only applies to the clip launch page.
Can similar color mods be applied to other pages/functions of LP95?

For example, scale and note modes are very attractive but I simply cant see the differnt colors like I could on a Push.
Similarly with the submenus denoted by different colous. Could I modify, for example so the root note was flashing, or change the colors used in submenus??

Any suggestions most appreciated, and would allow the MANY colorblind users out there to utilise this amazing script.
Thanks!!

mots

Post by mots » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:51 pm

dengelman wrote:Q about pad color, for colorblind users.

I have previously used script with LaunchpadColor, which is also very easy to modify the .py (for me all the colors are fairly ambiguous, so I set playing clips as blinking as that is very obvious).

However this only applies to the clip launch page.
Can similar color mods be applied to other pages/functions of LP95?

For example, scale and note modes are very attractive but I simply cant see the different colours like I could on a Push.
Similarly with the submenus denoted by different colours. Could I modify, for example so the root note was flashing, or change the colours used in submenus??

Any suggestions most appreciated, and would allow the MANY color blind users out there to utilise this amazing script.
Thanks!!
hello

i worked on integrating launchpad95 with Launchpad95Colour a little more.
for now we have custom colours for stepseq note editor and in instrument controller. still missing : mixer mode (not easy one), and note selector+loop selector in stepseq. but i guess that will help you a lot already !

you can get them at the usual place !
http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/

For now i left the colours to the default in Launchpad95Colour script. i let you change them, as i am not colourblind myself i dont really know what would be the best for you. if you provide me with updated script i will happily update it on my site.

have fun !

edit: did some googling... 8% of men are colour blind, and 0.5% of women. did not know that !

aschneider

Post by aschneider » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Hey there, mots.

Lost visual feedback in 9.1/64/mini since commit fdf33c7b0e. Is this intended ?

Greetings.

mots

Post by mots » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:28 am

Panclasta wrote:Hey there, mots.

Lost visual feedback in 9.1/64/mini since commit fdf33c7b0e. Is this intended ?

Greetings.
hi
it works on my mac with same configuration.
i had a problem with non working feedback too, but one thing i noticed is that in the preferences the launchpad "output" for "track" was not active.
as shown there : http://www.m-audio.com/images/Image/X%2 ... 0prefs.jpg (but in this example it is the input port that is highlighted.)

aschneider

Post by aschneider » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Yup, I forgot the MIDI outputs. :oops:

insomniaLab

Post by insomniaLab » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Made another set of modified files branched from the 2013-12-11 Launchpad95 files.

This time I added an "advanced mode" to the instrument mode, which allows you to actively transpose the note placement rather than always having the base note of the scale in the bottom left corner.

You can access this mode by toggling the new green button just below the drumrack button in scale edit mode.

Once this mode is toggled, the top two rows will be replaced with buttons that allows you to transpose the notes on the fly. The reason I added this was once again to make this somewhat more playable like a guitar, so for those familiar with the guitar (or other similar stringed instrument), these buttons are akin to sliding up and down the neck to different fret positions. For example, you can play a transposable chord shape like a power chord, then just use the transpose buttons to simulate moving the chord up and down the neck.

There's also a green button in the top right that allows you to switch between two separate levels of transpose. The reason for this second layer of transpose can be best described as having a capo attached. In other words, one non-active transpose layer (capo), and another active transpose layer (sliding up and down the neck).

This advanced mode also works with the diatonic scale modes as well, but you're still limited to the chosen scale notes, so it simply shifts the buttons by the corresponding scale degree. What's nice is that using the transpose mode buttons as a guide, you can tell what notes belong in the chosen scale.

Thanks to mots for incorporating the additional scales modes into the master branch. I'm really happy with how this modification turned out, since now Launchpad95 feels like a fully playable instrument. The only things missing are velocity (which can be controlled through a separate controller or footpedal), and sustain (which I might look into adding a button for later if I can't figure out how to use my nanoKontrol2 to simulate this). Haven't bothered to reintegrate the button color modification from last time, since it's not really a priority, and not really worth it for me to add unless people really want it.

Also, I finally managed to fix the LED feedback bug, so if you enable output to launchpad95 the buttons will light up bright amber when played in instrument mode. Thanks to mots who has also been working to try and fix this bug behind the scenes. I think you'll all really dig this fix, since it's quite amazing to play the instrument mode with this visual feedback. As a guitar player, I also appreciate how using this with chromatic guitar mode enabled gives you instant visual alternatives for chord shapes, which you can bring back to the guitar.

You can find the modified python files here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7cadw ... ntMode.zip

Like previously, simply install the 2013-12-11 files first, then drop and replace those files with the files included in this zip.
Last edited by insomniaLab on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mots

Post by mots » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:44 pm

woot ! thank you so much for looking into this !!

i integrated the fix for the led feedback and committed the change. is is available at usual spot and on github :

about the transpose modifications, i will look into it and if i can integrate them too. i had the idea for sometime to use the top rows like you do, but for transpose, but more scale navigation, around the circle of fifth. but my musical knowledge stopped me right there :)

edit: small note : due to api change launchpad95 is only working with live 9.1 (and not live 9.0).

manysounds

Post by manysounds » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Some scale modes not present I'd like to see:
Hicaz - 1, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7
Hicaskur - 1, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, 7

"Technically" they'd only be in the key of D and the 6th would be 2/3 flat but hey, this is for the bellydancers :)

dengelman

Post by dengelman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:38 am

hello

i worked on integrating launchpad95 with Launchpad95Colour a little more.
for now we have custom colours for stepseq note editor and in instrument controller. still missing : mixer mode (not easy one), and note selector+loop selector in stepseq. but i guess that will help you a lot already !

you can get them at the usual place !

For now i left the colours to the default in Launchpad95Colour script. i let you change them, as i am not colourblind myself i dont really know what would be the best for you. if you provide me with updated script i will happily update it on my site.

have fun !

edit: did some googling... 8% of men are colour blind, and 0.5% of women. did not know that !
[/quote]

thanks, you rock!!
will have a play and see how it goes.
if i change the colours in the Launchpad95Colour script will it transfer to the other pages? or is it all programmed into the LP95 script?

Yes, there are MANY, many colorblind users, this is going to make a lot of people happy! :)