Feature someone who isn't minimal techno, pls.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
regretfullySaid

Re: Feature someone who isn't minimal techno, pls.

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21 pm

The hippy thing has no relation to what you posted, I was using them as an example of pre-judging someone else for doing something they think goes against what something is supposed to stand for, like if I had short hair then that means I'm part of the 'the man'. Like you'd think if you're going to a hippy-esque festival then you'd think most people would be open-minded and friendly but if you aren't dressed like one, you get the evil-eye and treated like an outsider, it doesn't seem very hippy-esque, does it?

So when you said hotels go against what a festival is supposed to be then that would lead one to think that the person going to the hotel is not a real/true/proper festival-goer or something, whatever.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:37 pm

shadx312 wrote:The hippy thing has no relation to what you posted, I was using them as an example of pre-judging someone else for doing something they think goes against what something is supposed to stand for, like if I had short hair then that means I'm part of the 'the man'. Like you'd think if you're going to a hippy-esque festival then you'd think most people would be open-minded and friendly but if you aren't dressed like one, you get the evil-eye and treated like an outsider, it doesn't seem very hippy-esque, does it?

So when you said hotels go against what a festival is supposed to be then that would lead one to think that the person going to the hotel is not a real/true/proper festival-goer or something, whatever.
I see what you mean. But I'm sure nothing of that kind would happen. To many people are "hippies" on the week-end and suite wearing young professionals during the week for that.
Could it be that the people you base your judgement on, just take their lifestyle choice a littly to serious?
I thought in this post modern world nobody takes anything serious anymore?
(Feminists and Vegans not withstanding ;-)) (And I say that as a Vegetarian 8O )

Why I was so much opposed to the hotel thing was more because of the dynamics that I was affraid of. If too many people disappear into hotels at the festivals, the whole festival atmosphere would suffer IMO. So I'm glad that it is not custom here.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:39 pm

beats me wrote:So basically your vision of “festival” depends on where you live and what the common ones are. At Coachella the festival takes place in a huge open field and the camping takes place on what otherwise would be a parking lot. There’s no “getting back to nature” about it. That’s what my vision of a large campout festival looks like, and I think we can agree, fuck that!
Absolutely agreed!
Maybe you should think about doing a festival summer in Germany one of these years to find out how it is really done :mrgreen:

Galt

Post by Galt » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:06 am

TomViolenz wrote:And please tell me you are not that taintlick guy? :x
I wish. That guy rocks.

:x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:20 am

If too many people disappear into hotels at the festivals, the whole festival atmosphere would suffer IMO.
Ah but it wouldn't you see, for is not the festival where the people be?
I wish. That guy rocks.
Not as much as So Solid Poo imo.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:46 am

shadx312 wrote:
If too many people disappear into hotels at the festivals, the whole festival atmosphere would suffer IMO.
I don't know this whole thing with people being together for three days, without outside interference, all partying like there is no tommorrow, just has something magic for me. Call it archaic. Like the Shaman gathers the warriors to dance to a constant drum beat around the fire before the big hunt. Disturb this with too many people saying "see you tommorrow, I'll go to the room" and the whole magic may vanish...

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:59 am

If you're worried about that then you will not have the strength or focus to ascend, I'm afraid.
Anxiety from uncertainty is unnecassary. :wink:
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:00 am

shadx312 wrote:If you're worried about that then you will not have the strength or focus to ascend, I'm afraid.
Anxiety from uncertainty is unecassary. :wink:
Oh wisdom, ShadX be thy name!
:mrgreen:
Last edited by TomViolenz on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:01 am

TomViolenz wrote:
shadx312 wrote:
I don't know this whole thing with people being together for three days, without outside interference, all partying like there is no tommorrow, just has something magic for me. Call it archaic. Like the Shaman gathers the warriors to dance to a constant drum beat around the fire before the big hunt. Disturb this with too many people saying "see you tommorrow, I'll go to the room" and the whole magic may vanish...

After a full day of standing and dancing don't underestimate the magical power of a hotel hot tub. It's glorious!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:05 am

beats me wrote: After a full day of standing and dancing don't underestimate the magical power of a hotel hot tub. It's glorious!
Just because I really like "my" way of festivals, doesn't mean I could not enjoy yours. It would be quite a different experience though. Much closer to going to a regular concert.

BTW. I like my hot tubs best, after skiing! :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:14 am

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote: After a full day of standing and dancing don't underestimate the magical power of a hotel hot tub. It's glorious!
Just because I really like "my" way of festivals, doesn't mean I could not enjoy yours. It would be quite a different experience though. Much closer to going to a regular concert.

BTW. I like my hot tubs best, after skiing! :)

Truth be told I've almost always been the last man standing. When at a bar or club I'm usually there when they pop on the house lights and I'm seriously bummed by it. "The night just got started!" Then we go to somebody's house where I try to convince them to stay up and I lose that battle at some point. So I'd probably dig a true camping festival, but the few ones around here usually just have the hippy jam bands or reggae and that shit doesn't get me pumped AT ALL.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:26 am

Heh, I think I've just been starting to not be the last man standing. It's such a bummer when you're pumped and everyone becomes an old fart. :evil:

I would definitely love to see a band playing right next to me while I'm skiing, though. Brownie points just for the coordination.
ImageImage

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:44 am

TomViolenz wrote:
The Finn wrote:In SA the median age at the festivals is about 30 as far as I can make out. I and my posse raise that number some. And our camp tends to be very comfortable 8)
Tent or hotel at your festivals?

(I find that hotels go against everything that I asociate with festivals!)
Depends on the festival. For example Vortex, which is 5 days in the deep countryside, is kind of a total immersion thing. There are hot showers & so on but it is still roughing it - living in tents, music going through the night, dust, etc, but it is kind of part of the experience. There no hotels for 100 km anyway, but even going to a b & b would kinda be like leaving the time warp. And returning to civilization and clean sheets after 5 days of that is extra nice.

At the less immersive festivals my friends and I sometimes book out a local spot and have lazy breakfast by the pool before returning to the mayhem.

Best of all is when the venue is outside Paarl. A fiend of mine has a cabin in the mountains, 15 min from the highway but totally isolated, no cell phone, no electricity, by a beautiful mountain stream. When we need to sleep we just pop over the mountain and spend the night listening to the silence. 8)

We are going tomorrow and I have half a mind just to stay in the mountain and let my friends go to the party on their own.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:49 am

TomViolenz wrote:

I don't know this whole thing with people being together for three days, without outside interference, all partying like there is no tommorrow, just has something magic for me. Call it archaic. Like the Shaman gathers the warriors to dance to a constant drum beat around the fire before the big hunt. ..
I feel you brother 8)

TAINTLICK

Post by TAINTLICK » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Galt wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:And please tell me you are not that taintlick guy? :x
I wish. That guy rocks.

:x

NO, YOU ROCK MY FRIEND. YOU ROCK.