Live 9.2 wish list (I know this soon?)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jpga

Re: Live 9.2 wish list (I know this soon?)

Post by jpga » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:42 pm

Bigger sound. Warmer sound. Better sound. Then live should take over the market.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:46 pm

PDC PDC PDC!

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:15 pm

-Detachable/floating windows for Clip editing and device view

-Ability to show/hide the Session grid completely so that you can dedicate screen real estate to the mixer and device strip

-Edit clips in Arrangement right on the time line instead of wasting space by duplicating them at the bottom

-Browser preview of user created content (patches, loops, etc)

-Make drum racks follow the on screen selection again! Pad controllers used to play the 16 pads displayed on screen automatically, now they don't and this is really annoying.

-I'd really like a 'Delete all warp markers past this point' command in the context menu for clips. I like to start warping at the beginning of a song, and use the 'Warp from here...' commands, but sometimes it falls out of sync somewhere along the line, and you have to go in and individually delete the markers.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

William

Post by William » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:43 pm

PDC

Scroll wheel support on all parameters
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:11 pm

William wrote:
Scroll wheel support on all parameters
Oh yeah, that. And typing in values for automation points!
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Jekblad wrote:Smart snap is very bothersome. The old snap was reliable.

Agreed 9.2 should shut the forum off. :D :D :D

guys, please add your voice to this thread about 'smart snap' or to another one about this subject. I couldnt find one directly about the smart snap that is why i started one...I know the abes are really stubborn about this but we gotta keep trying. this feature is such a workflow killer.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=199705

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Improved browser is clearly the most important thing.

oneder

Post by oneder » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Can we have some improvement of the Gui 3d gradients and the like, that 2d look is getting old especially in arrangement view I hate looking at it. Rounded clips that set apart from each other would be nice...

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:42 am

Michael Hatsis wrote:
mareproduction wrote:Generally more stable DAW engine is all I need.
This....and faster and less processor intensive.
I'd like to see most developers do this.

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 am

moog303 wrote:Step sequencing to trigger next note automatically
+1 for that. The current method is bizarre.

I'll add:

1. midi CC automation in arrange window, so CCs can be treated like VST automation.

2. Proper curves for automation.

3. To allow overlapping clips in a single track in the arrange window. Overlapping midi clips would allow to midi data to merge together. Audio clips could be allowed to play simultaneously.

rtcardinal

Post by rtcardinal » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Some ideas. I guess... 16?

1. PDC for automation. I generally get by OK with the work-arounds, but there are timing critical instances where I can't really do them and it's make it or break it for certain things.

2. Delay compensation for Video playback and display (metering, playback head, etc). Important for sound design work, and music and sound to picture. Very important.

3. Improved macro/midi mapping: I'd love it so that when you assigned a macro to a parameter, live used the EXISTING parameter value as it's minimum. That way you won't destroy patches simply by assigning parameters to knobs. It can be troublesome and sometimes inaccurate to manually change all the minimum values back to their old existing values.

4. Some kind of drag and drop routing. It'd be great if there was a more intuitive way to route channels around, I'd love if we could drag the output of a channel (or selection of many channels) to the input of a channel, or the input of a channel to the output of another channel. It's a great set up as is, but when you get in to sessions with 100+ tracks, those track lists inside the context menus get pretty large hard to navigate. To me, the more we can do away with lists of stuff, and go for more GUI based solutions, the better. As tracks get larger, and I need start routing things around, I often find this one of the few things that really slows me down.

5. Once automation PDC is sorted out, and you are able to actually place automation where it's actually going to happen: Option to snap automation to grid. Please. I know all of the work arounds, and use them daily. This works like a dream in Studio One.

6. Selective Export of Tracks. Goes without much saying. We can export individual ones. We can export all of them.

7. I'd love to see some kind of 'meta clips' or clip containers, where you can have multiple audio/midi clips within a single clip, and the ability to loop-record to them . The usage for this could be vast: From multi-take comping, arranging multiple samples on a grid within a single clip, more advanced crossfading, having midi and audio data living together in a single clip, etc.

8. Some kind of comping solution. No matter which way you slice it, there isn't an elegant solution for this in Live relative to what other DAWs are offering. There has been huge innovation in this all over place. I'd love to see how Ableton would spin this.

9. Track Macros: Assignable macro controllers for each track that can control ANYTHING on the track (any device or nested device, pan, volume, sends, mutes, etc). I know Max for Live has solutions for this, but I'd prefer a less hacky, more integrated and precise version of this.

10. Ability to freeze tracks referenced for side chains. I can kind of understand why the vice versa wouldn't work (in which you should probably just bounce), but why the side chain KEY track can't be frozen is beyond me (other than if the track being side chained is referencing the pre-fx mix on the key track).

11. More robust drawing and editing tools.. Clip gain handles on clips (please). Tools for drawing different automation shapes would be cool. I'm fine with a minimal editing tool set, I prefer using key commands modifiers to constantly switching tools.

12. Nested FX pathes within native ableton devices. I saw something that looked like this in the bitwig video demos. FX chains inside feedback loops for delays. FX chains within instruments (where all native effects nested within a native ableton instrument could receive modulation from the parent instrument... to make the effects more 'part of the patch'

13. Groups within Groups. For organziation along, this would be nice.

14. Overall, I'd like to see less reliance on Max for Live for additional features. Such as modulation, additional control and functionality, etc. I think it's great that people can add their own stuff and that the Live API is open. I think that should remain the focus. I'd rather see hard coded, efficient, and stable solutions when the new functionality is coming from the mothership/ableton. As awesome as Max for Live is, this can all be very hacky and un-unified.

15. Ability to graphically edit modulation/macro/midi mapped parameters. Again, having a GUI based solution could greatly speed this up, and inspire more experimentation. I'd love if it we could enter 'map mode', click on a modulator, move a midi controller, or touch a macro, and then use a right click drag to set modulation ranges directly on the destination parameters (as well as have the existing mapping list if you want to go in to it). Again, I feel the more we can get away from all these lists and obtuse matrixes, and use the screen real estate that's already inherent in the way things are displayed, the better. When modulation and macro mapping gets deep and plentiful, this whole system can get unreadable at a glance. Nobody wants to stop what they are doing, squint through a huge list of parameters, eventually find the one they want, have to do some tricky min/max editing completely separate from the actual parameter they're tweaking, and then lose the flow.

16. Modulation/Midi/Macro mapping transfer curves. Linear is useful most of the time, but being able to map a transfer curve to how parameters modulate from min to max would be amazing. Even if there were exponential and log curves, that would offer a lot more flexibility. Some kind of editable transfer curve with slewing would be optimal.
Again, I understand that there are max for live solutions for this, but a lot of them don't support 64 bit yet (use externals which aren't supported yet). I'd like to see a precise, and elegant internal solution for this, in ableton style!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:16 am

1)Being able to search within VTS presets.

2) also being able to search within ableton 8 presets. There are a lots of cool presets which are missing in 9.x. For example -e instrument racks featuring Electric -"riders of the storm, you are my best friend, no quarter".

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:29 am

+1 to drag and drop routing and a means of stick it all in a sub folder so as not to further clutter your workspace.

Talking of which…

- Nestable track folders, or at least be able to stick groups inside groups.
- A tool for splitting an effects chain off an existing track such that a new in audio track is created with routing from the original (its out is set to the new track), the selecting tail inserts are moved to the new track along with all automations and clips. And to go with the nestable folders - the resulting tracks are grouped together. This is to help with situation where you want to freeze a synth track, but dont want to freeze the insert fx chain, but also very useful for re-organizing to get dry sound if you need them before a ulti-track export etc. Often the CPU saving from freezing just the non-automated synths can be enough to get you out of a CPU use hole while keeping audio fx editable, and freezing doesnt work with sidechains, so you have to split them out anyway.
- A 'sidechain' mode on the utility plugin - the purpose here is just to get simple routing in of audio from another track without having to use a compressor in sidechain+audition mode. This is really handy for creating hidden submixes for driving sidechains etc without cluttering up the channels.
- A sidechain mode on audio rack channels so the can get their audio from elsewhere (especially including any fx out within the same rack as well as other tracks) instead of only the rack input. This would allows for complex routing and processing tools to be built without having to replicate plugins along with paths. This is partly to reduce clutter tracks, but also as a means of saving more complex multi-path effects racks with crioss path sidechaining etc as self contained fx racks - for e.g., a simple self ducking delay where you have a sidechained (from dry) compressor after the delay.
- Return chains in audio fx racks like in drum racks.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:16 am

FULL DOCUMENTED AND OFFICIAL PYTHON MIDI REMOTE SCRIPTS GUIDE !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I've just spent several days without useful success digging the internet looking for up-to-date (Live 9.1) and accurate informations about these Python MIDI remote scripts and how to build such scripts. I'm not a newbee in coding/Max patching, but just guessing and "walking in the dark" is really painful, especially for a software that want to be seen as innovative. Keeping this a secret is just to keep a kind of myth around Live, and in my opinion, it's quite stupid ...

Damned Ableton team and managers ! :? :? :?

H.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:55 am

Apply fades to all selected clips in arrangement view in one shot. Please: it's killing me to be compelled to do it clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip after clip ...
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer