if you have kontakt would it make sense to get sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
S-N-S

if you have kontakt would it make sense to get sampler?

Post by S-N-S » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:20 pm

i already have kontakt(but not using it that much)would it make sense to get sampler if i already have kontakt??

neeve82

Re: if you have kontakt would it make sense to get sampler?

Post by neeve82 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:34 pm

no. kontakt does what sampler does + a lot more.

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:41 pm

thanks year i thought so

think i will get operator instead as i need a fm synth,so think this would make more sense

neeve82

Post by neeve82 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 pm

exactly.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:31 am

er... it depends. sampler is _great_ as a quick access sampler - you can even set up your defaults so that when you drag, say, a single drum hit onto a drum rack, it populates it with a sampler for that sample instead of a simpler (which is a lot more capable).

now, long samples you'd usually work with as clips, and big multisamples you'd use kontakt, but for _some_ workflows it makes a lot of sense. i don't use it much but it's nice when i do.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:09 am

neeve82 wrote:no. kontakt does what sampler does + a lot more.
Kontakt has no equal power crossfades (only linear), doesn't do AM or FM. Isn't integrated into Live.
I agree that Kontakt can go waaaay deeper than Sampler, but the big question is:

DO YOU NEED IT?

Me, i have Komplete 9, don't even use Kontakt as it takes me too long to get anything out of it. When i use Sampler, i'm there in no time. Something to consider.
And scripting in Kontakt…..man, i want to create MUSIC, not lines of code!

Not to knock Kontakt though. If people like it, then use it.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:25 am

yup, you would be missing out if you don't get Sampler because of the integration in Live. It's everything Kontakt isn't, in terms of workflow. Which is a good thing IMO.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:22 pm

yes, I use sampler 90%. I love the workflow for simple samples or as the standard sampler in drumracks. I only use kontakt when I have to (time streching etc). that said kontakt5 does also have drag&drop audio from live into it's(..kontakts) sample slots, that feature was ne main reason I got sampler back in the days.

oh... I also like the loop function more in sampler! I could get smoother looping samples in some special cases (the fade in/out function works better in most cases in sampler)

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:56 pm

I favor Kontakt over Sampler, but one thing you might want to consider is that Kontakt takes a lot more of your CPU than Sampler does.

In terms of functionality I don't think there's much that Sampler can do what Kontakt can't, but I can see the point of simplicity. If you find Kontakt to be overwhelming, you might unconsiously avoid it altogether. In that case, Sampler could be an option.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:55 pm

I have both but only use Kontakt, and that is only for the sample libraries, stock and expansion. I personally haven’t found much use for a sampler. I find purchasable libraries better than anything I can come up with, various drum plugins handle my trigger sample needs, audio file dropped in arrangement for lengthy one shots, and clips or chopping up in arrangement is good enough for my loop needs.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 pm

I have both - bought Sampler ages ago, then upgraded to suite etc then much later later got Komplete.

I dont generally do much in kontakt other than use NI library instruments and basically just use samplers when simpler wont do - usually if I need more peculiar control over filter envelopes or wan a much cleaner pitch change than simpler will do (tape stop effect for eg).

I generally wont even think of doing much DIY in Kontakt, thought I might tweak existing NI instruments. I like having both TBH. Its nice when you normally use Simpler and decide actually you need more functionality to be able to instantly convert the patch to Sampler without having to start all over again in another sampler.

If I was buying right now and so didnt go throug the upgarde path I did over the years then TBH I wouldnt bother buying Sampler specifically but I would still probably end up with both anyway - via Live suite and Komplete.

Also in hindsight, you are much better off getting Live standard and Komplete as a combination to give you a huge instrument collection in Live's workflow. Kontakt can do anything that Sampler can do and alot more when you just look at them as standalone samplers, but Sampler is far more convenient in Live I think for basic use.
Nothing to see here - move along!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Khazul wrote:Also in hindsight, you are much better off getting Live standard and Komplete as a combination to give you a huge instrument collection in Live's workflow. Kontakt can do anything that Sampler can do and alot more when you just look at them as standalone samplers, but Sampler is far more convenient in Live I think for basic use.

Another advantage for Kontakt is you can use it in other DAWs as plenty of us use more than just Live.

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:50 pm

thanks guys

just bought operator,and im glad this is in a field i was missing out on

thanks again

xbitz

Post by xbitz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20 pm

check-listen whatever :D the sound of 112dB Morgana before u saying no to the samplers http://www.112db.com/vintage/morgana/?demo review : http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... ana-160356 this is the original pure oldshool analogue bliss itself :D