Quick navigation tweaking of Device param, & playing...how?

Discuss Push with other users.
simplemusic

Quick navigation tweaking of Device param, & playing...how?

Post by simplemusic » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:56 am

Hi all,

Just having a play with my new Push and on the whole it looks pretty smart. The one thing I am battling with finding a suitable solution for is the tweaking of devices whilst playing other sounds.

An example could be to have 5 tracks of audio playing (kik, drums, bass and 2 other audio tracks), whilst live recording and playing synth lines on 2 VST tracks. If I wanted to tweak the effects on say the drums and then bass track whilst playing one of the VST synths , it appears that I need to do the following:

1) Be in session mode (since I am triggering clips)
2) Select Track Mode, and arm VST Synth track to play live
3) If I wanted to tweak the parameters for this, I need to change to Device mode
4) Now I need to reselect Track mode to change the focus over to the Drum track, by selecting that track
5) Now select device mode - tweak parameters
6) to either tweak the Bass or VST Synth again, I need to go back to Track mode, reselect that track and then click device again to allow more 'fiddling'

That seems like s bunch of hoops to be jumping through.

My comparison is doing this on an APC40 where you would select one track to tweak, and arm another track to play...all one clicks actions and easily doable whilst playing. (admittedly I have Bomes MT helping out with some tweaks)

I'm really keep to make push part of my set-up, but am battling to see how the above could be workable. Anyone have any ideas?

tdmusic_

Re: Quick navigation tweaking of Device param, & playing...how?

Post by tdmusic_ » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:09 pm

You can certainly speed up this workflow by holding Track down while you select the track you want, then it'll snap back to Device mode when you let go. You could also use the left/right arrow keys to scroll left/right between your tracks if you position them next to each other.

Two other useful things not totally related but very useful for me:
- You can lock a device to Push by right clicking on its header bar
- Disabling "select on launch" under launch preferences will stop Push jumping channel whenever you trigger a clip

simplemusic

Re: Quick navigation tweaking of Device param, & playing...how?

Post by simplemusic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks for the tips. I already have the 'select on launch' disabled. The others I'll give a whirl. The one issue for me is that some of the functions require 2 hands on the Push,(too far to select track and reach track 1 with left hand). So this means taking my hands off the keyboards. - oh well, may just have to adapt my style a bit.

The other thing I am thinking about doing is utilising Bomes to give me slightly more flexibility. Anyone else using Bomes MT with Push?