Bitwig 1.0

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
metaparadigma

Re: Bitwig 1.0

Post by metaparadigma » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:03 pm

Angstrom wrote:
H20nly wrote:
metaparadigma wrote:funny thing is: the interviewer asks him about his visions for the company and where Bitwig hopefully will be in 5 years (meaning in 2014)...
site contains a little more German than i can handle... ok, a lot more. what was the answer?

The key translated section is this:
My main hope, for five years you say? If I can dream I would say that I hope we have a thread on the Ableton forum which stretches to 150 pages. Perhaps more. Yes, ultimately that is our goal. A giant meandering stream of guesses and speculation, odd ideas and recriminations. It's perhaps unrealistic, but you have to dream. And then I guess, uh, a version one. Yeah. Then I guess we should release something. Yeah
My translation might be a off, my German is a bit rusty.
He got damp.
hahahaha... your translation and your german is just outstanding :lol: :lol: :lol:

literally, he can be translated almost like:
"well, in five years we definitely wanna have created a creative platform for creative and innovative music productions, >>>> which has also become liked (=popular, favored). <<<<"...

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:25 am

eyeknow wrote:I'm just pissed hacks that don't care about squat got on the beta (no, I mean some serious trolls) and people that know a thing or two were passed up.

Sniff, sniff, I smell nepotism!
Haha, I was NEVER contacted about being a beta tester when it was first offered, that goes back how many years? And I'm not an avid Live user over the past few years as well (not motivated being out of work - hey! best due to time on hands right?!). If they have a 30 day demo I will certainly be looking at it. I invested in S1V2 when it was %50 off and have barely used it, BUT it's MIDI editing features, as well as it's nice interface caught my attention. If I recorded via timeline vs loops/samples and so forth I'd have been using it full time but I don't work that way, I work session view->arrangement for the most part. I don't dally much in arrangement other than doing arranging. But I do want to see what BWS looks like when it comes out this year and make a determination about completely jumping ship or keeping both + S1V2 around as well for random stuff.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:32 am

I'm still pissed that "a friend of a friend" gets the beta while people that actually would test it are left cold. Ah beta testing, regardless of which one it is, it's pretty much just a good-ol-boys school with no regard for actually improving the product.

I did hear that the last beta for live was pretty good though, kudos as I think they did a good job.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:54 am

After trying Bitwig last year (and un usable for me Live 9 release) it became clear for me- use Live 8 till finally "the real Live" = Bitwig studio will be out.
What most critics /fanboyz do not realise, Bitwig is not some gang of copycats, cloning Live but contrary they are people who actually developed Live until the company got hijacked but over motivated marketing crew and Live gone from one screwup (Live 8) to another (Live9). They are not Live haters, they were all passionate and dedicated about it, Live was their baby. No surprise when ignorants took over, serious developers started to leave perhaps not sinking but definitely stinking ship.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 am

True. The proof of the puddin' will be in the eating.

If it is good, people will buy it. Simple.

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:09 pm

alot can be said about bitwig and the dev team around it,but they certainly have managed to create ALOT of hype around it

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:14 pm

rikhyray wrote:After trying Bitwig last year (and un usable for me Live 9 release) it became clear for me- use Live 8 till finally "the real Live" = Bitwig studio will be out.
What most critics /fanboyz do not realise, Bitwig is not some gang of copycats, cloning Live but contrary they are people who actually developed Live until the company got hijacked but over motivated marketing crew and Live gone from one screwup (Live 8) to another (Live9). They are not Live haters, they were all passionate and dedicated about it, Live was their baby. No surprise when ignorants took over, serious developers started to leave perhaps not sinking but definitely stinking ship.

Right, because Bitwig is being made by magical elves who have no interest in evil things like money or marketing. They just want to make sure that super cool guys like you get the tool they need to write incredibly inspiring musical art. I can't wait for my free copy!
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Galt

Post by Galt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:17 pm

No, you're right. Companies never lose their way and IBM still produces the best laptops out there. :roll:

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:24 pm

??? Where did I say that? I'm just pointing out that Bitwig are producing a commercial product, just like Ableton. Well, except for the fact that Bitwig doesn't have a product for sale yet. But when they do, you can be assured that it will cost you money to buy, and that they will spend money to market it.

Galt

Post by Galt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood what you wrote.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:36 pm

I’m still on Live 8 but haven’t really touched it for years other than to make lazy DJ mixes. I’m not excitedly anticipating Bitwig but I think I would be more interested in it than upgrading to Live 9 just to be on the current version. I’m not really excited about anything in 9. I’m waiting for the general consensus that it’s stable as fuck, but that’s not really something to get excited about unless you're a frustrated long time user.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Yeah, if you like live 9 you MUST be a fanboi :lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:43 pm

i had no idea until now :oops:

if i sell my license and use Live 7 will that make me more PRO?

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:58 pm

eyeknow wrote:Yeah, if you like live 9 you MUST be a fanboi :lol:

No it doesn’t make you a fanboi. Some users enjoy the changes made with each new version of Live. I probably could have stopped at 7 based on how I compose music and what features I use. I switched to Logic a few years ago because that more closely fits how I compose and doesn’t get me as distracted as Live does with endless clip noodling. A great tool for some, a distraction for never getting anything finished for others.

Obviously Bitwig could also lead to endless clip noodling but there would also be some fresh ideas in there that Live isn’t implementing, and as an American I demand things that seem fresh even if it’s a load of gimmicks I rarely or never use.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Bitwig COULD do anything.

I will certainly be trying it as soon as a demo is available. If it's cheap, i might even just buy it for shits n' giggles. If it's actually better than live for what i want to do, i will switch!

What i won't do, is cry about how shitty ableton is and pretend that it's broken and unusable because something new and exciting is coming out. I've been making electronic music for a long time, and i have reasonable expectations about how much work it takes to write good material, no matter how fancy your tools are. And i've also been around long enough to know how sad it is when would be musicians say, "If i could just afford product X, or if this product just had feature X, I could finally make the kind of stuff i dream of." It's never actually true.