Best controller for iPad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Theo Void

Best controller for iPad?

Post by Theo Void » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:14 pm

I've recently acquired an iPad mini w/ retina. First off, I absolutely love it! The music making potential is amazing. I've already gotten so many apps and the quality vs. price is nothing short of extraordinary. I sometimes can't believe the power I'm literally holing in my hands.

The touch interface is great for many applications but I do often find myself wanting more physical control. I'm already getting ready to buy the iconnectivity2+ MIDI to incorporate the ipad into my setup better. I'm looking for a good keyboard controller for ipad, also.

So far I'm liking the qunexus, cme key ( on the higher end of the spectrum. I've considered getting some nano controls but the action is basically comparable to keyboard keys. I'd like a bit more expression. Akai LPK maybe or Arturia Minilab?

Any experience or advice is welcome. Thanks

gjm

Re: Best controller for iPad?

Post by gjm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:52 pm

I am also looking for a companion keyboard for my iPad. So far I have narrowed it down to the iRig Keys Pro. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeyspro/ I am liking in particular the dedicated Mod and PB wheels and the sustain/expression pedal input.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:54 pm

I went with the Novation LaunchKEY Mini if you are ok with the smaller keys. I also bought the Novation LaunchPAD Mini. If you want the full meal deal, then they also have the Novation LaunchKONTROL Mini. You can also get their free LaunchPAD App.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:19 pm

I just use any random midi keyboard I have laying around.

Nothing wrong with a large keyboard. Some apps have great range and it feels better playing them with legit keys.

Plus pretty much any standard midi device can connect to it. MPD, APC, Novation Remote, UC-33e, the list goes on.

The only trick is using a bus powered USB hub, and the $30 camera connector USB-lightning kit.

I even run my fast track pro from it.

I can connect 7 devices at a time with my hub.

...and I only have iPhone. Not pad haha

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Qunexus definitely gets my vote.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:20 pm

I use this.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:36 am

I have a ton of controllers. Maschine mkii, push, original launchpad, axiom 25, f1, x1. I thought they had to b universal. The launch key looks pretty nice. I think I'm gonna go for the qunexus or the x key.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 am

Yeah, out of that list I think only the Axiom would work. Possibly the Push in a really basic fashion. I've never tried Push because I don't think it'd do anything interesting with current apps.

Galt

Post by Galt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:04 am

beats me wrote:I use this.

And what exactly do you do with that? :x

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:30 am

I tried the Axiom but it says it draws too much power. I then trieed the hub but it didn't seem to work. I definitely want to get something dedicated to the ipad but there doesn't seem to be too many class compliant controllers out there. Like I said, I'm diggin' the qunexus and the CME Xkeys.

Oh well. Another excuse to buy more MIDI controllers. It's getting out of control. I really think the tablet music production revolution is underway and though it's limited I'm kinda feeling the limitations. Limitations are what push my creativity. That's why I've been using Maschine so much lately. Although, the G.A.S. is sstrong especially when I'm getting ridiculously amazing apps for a few dollars. God, I've spent so much $$$ on apps in the past month it's insane. I could have bought a new synth.

It's kinda funny that I want a controller to control the iPad but I also want Touchable 2 so that I can control Live w/ my iPad. I find that hilarious. Anyway, good look on the info.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:47 am

I feel like no matter how many ways I've tried to get my device to control Live, I still 'feel' best without it. Although I haven't yet tried any advanced note drawing in clips apps!

To handle my touch fever, I went with my latest computer being touch screen. Now I'm ready for all the software a to catch up. Right now I've been experimenting with ways of using clip waveforms in Live the same way as Samplr on the iPad. (Except now I'm taking it a step further and doing the same thing with dummy clip automation instead... a Live Clip becomes a giant modulated fader on my screen now) Or triggering parts of waveform and recording them into Looper (it is fun having 5 totally different clips in one channel and building something out of it with overdub and random touched snippets!!)

Man. That is one app I'd love to get my hands on is Samplr!!

Also, sorry that your axiom is not playing nice. Perhaps for some reason I'm mistaken on that one.

db120

Post by db120 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:13 pm

I love Touchable on my ipad 3. Having some screen problems so ordered a refurb ipad 4, but second guessing it due to the mini being more powerful. Does anyone use any of these apps (touchable especially) on an ipad mini? Are you bugged by less screen real estate?

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:49 pm

db120 wrote:I love Touchable on my ipad 3. Having some screen problems so ordered a refurb ipad 4, but second guessing it due to the mini being more powerful. Does anyone use any of these apps (touchable especially) on an ipad mini? Are you bugged by less screen real estate?
I don't use touchable but I use a ton of music apps. I have the mini with retina and it's very quick and powerful. Honestly the few inches taken off doesn't bother me at all. I have an ipad 2 also and I really prefer the mini. I can hold it in my hands and use my thumbs and it's just generally more comfortable to hold.

su

Post by su » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:19 am

I mainly use other apps as controllers- tnr-i, arpeggionome, thesys

Probably not what op had in mind. :-)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:28 am

I still can;t get into using the iPad as a control surface. I'm fine writing tracks on it, but controlling other software with it is just something I could never really bond with.