Integrated Jbridge support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ezelkow1

Integrated Jbridge support

Post by ezelkow1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Since ableton has stated they didnt want to do a built in bit bridge and that a good solution already exists, jbridge, then I think it would be good if you actually offered the full support of jbridge that is available since it is your recommended third party solution

The developer provides example code on how to fully integrate jbridge with any host so that you can do automatic bridging going through jbridge:
http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/how ... your-host/

If that is not enough Im sure ableton can contact the developer for more details. So far Sonar has done this and it works great, so why not be another host to fully support the product that your telling people to use

JBlongz

Re: Integrated Jbridge support

Post by JBlongz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Meh. I like using Vienna Ensemble Pro instead. Much more advanced.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:54 pm

thats nice

anyways.....

jbridge was still the recommended solution, and most likely the vast majority of users that need a bridge are using it, the developer provides an easy integration solution for any hosts that want to use it, hence the request

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:56 pm

bump bump, jbridge still the recommended bridging solution, integration instructions still provided directly on the jbridge website (in case google isnt working at the ableton offices: http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/how ... your-host/ ), no reason not to type up the 100 lines of code the integration requires and be done with it......

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:12 pm

If its that easy, this needs to stay bumped. Ableton get on it.

Digital Junkie

Post by Digital Junkie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Definitely needed and I think it would also make a lot of new producers choose Ableton over other DAWs if it's made easier and they can use there computers to their full potential!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:18 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:integration instructions still provided directly on the jbridge website (in case google isnt working at the ableton offices: http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/how ... your-host/ ), no reason not to type up the 100 lines of code the integration requires and be done with it......
Macs don't have HKEYs and DWORDs and i don't believe they use .dll files. that code is for Windows.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:55 pm

H20nly wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:integration instructions still provided directly on the jbridge website (in case google isnt working at the ableton offices: http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/how ... your-host/ ), no reason not to type up the 100 lines of code the integration requires and be done with it......
Macs don't have HKEYs and DWORDs and i don't believe they use .dll files. that code is for Windows.
Then ableton can contact the dev and get mac integration instructions, add a few #ifdefs and an extra 20 lines of code. Criticizing the publicly available example code that shows ease of integration? Its just example code man, of course it might be slightly different, but if macs dont have an easy way of finding an install location thats just as easy as the windows version, well I find that hard to believe. How many other feature requests even provide a code example? Pretty sure ableton devs are smart enough to translate that given code into something mac compatible

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:29 am

ezelkow1 wrote:
H20nly wrote:
Then ableton can contact the dev and get mac integration instructions, add a few #ifdefs and an extra 20 lines of code. Criticizing the publicly available example code that shows ease of integration? Its just example code man, of course it might be slightly different, but if macs dont have an easy way of finding an install location thats just as easy as the windows version, well I find that hard to believe. How many other feature requests even provide a code example? Pretty sure ableton devs are smart enough to translate that given code into something mac compatible
This would only take a day our 2 to finish.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:26 am

ezelkow1 wrote:Criticizing the publicly available example code that shows ease of integration?
criticizing? i think you miss my meaning... it's Windows code... it works with a Windows registry. it doesn't matter how badly you want this code to work with a Mac, it still won't. Macs don't have registries.

there's nothing to translate that code into. you don't move a few characters around or change the end tags and suddenly have Unix.
Last edited by H20nly on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:32 am

H20nly wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:Criticizing the publicly available example code that shows ease of integration?
criticizing? i think you miss my meaning... it's Windows code... it works with a registry. Macs don't have registries.

there's nothing to translate that code into. you don't move a few characters around or change the end tags and suddenly have Unix.
Its just looking up the install location of jbridge, which in sonar at least, the user puts in anyway so its not really a necessary step to have any of those registry lookups. As I said, example code, which can be easily changed and modified as needed. Sure some of it is dll's, and you replace that with the corresponding way to load osx vst files

As someone who has to deal with alot of vendor example code this is very common, and to any programmer worth a damn its a nice guide and a helpful start. You usually dont need every single thing laid out for you if you understand the concepts
Last edited by ezelkow1 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:33 am

you should get right on top of that.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:41 am

H20nly wrote:you should get right on top of that.
I just dont understand the negativity. Sure the example code is based on windows, so there is one platform ready to go, if they have mac specific questions that they dont understand or cant figure out solutions to all they have to do is contact the dev. Not sure why someone would be against this, just because the example code is based in windows? And the parts that are windows specific arent completely necessary and can be worked around on a mac?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:45 am

where was i against it?

lets take a look:
H20nly wrote:
hmmmm....

i really don't see much negativity there... looks more like FACT to me.

the negativity started when you got all pissy about it...

by all means though, use your outstanding knowledge of coding to thwart Ableton's evil plot not to use jbridge.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:04 am

ignore and just let mac users whining. they are just jealous of that jbridge code.