does Push only work with supplied USB cable?

Discuss Push with other users.
n8tron

does Push only work with supplied USB cable?

Post by n8tron » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:29 pm

I've tried using Push with another long USB cable (the supplied one is SHORT!) but I keep having some pretty strange malfunctions. Pads not working, things freezing up, one time I had a drum track selected but the chords from another track started lighting up as if I had an instrument track selected... I finally tested the supplied USB cable and it seems to be back to normal, but my computer is about 6 feet from my desk.

panten

Re: does Push only work with supplied USB cable?

Post by panten » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:47 pm

No you should be able to use any usb cable, I'm currently using a longer cable than the one supplied.
I've noticed the cheaper cables tend to have thinner, more flimsy connectors so I try to steer clear of them.

login

Post by login » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:14 pm

I use another long USB cables without problems

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:32 pm

weird, so I tried 3 different usb cables (all 2.0 and all pulled from other devices they work fine on) and they all have varying degrees of working. One was really messed up, with the issues I described in the OP. One was working fine, but then froze Push, then worked fine when I turned it back on... for a few mins and froze it again. A third one seems to be working fine.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but in these results the longer the cable the worse the symptoms. Take note anyone who is having problems with Push... TRY A DIFFERENT CABLE!

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:24 pm

I can't find it anymore; but i think i read somewhere that for MIDI devices, a USB cable 3 feet or shorter is recommended to ensure power and data are properly transferred without interruption.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Some nicer USB cables have a filter in the line to filter out unwanted noise and interference that can corrupt whats suppose to be traveling down the cable. It's possible you have some noise coming from your wall power or computer that could be corrupting the data if it's a cheap on without shielding or a filter. In general any cable will work but there can be issues that come up in the right situations with cheaper cables.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /