Windows 7, Live 9 - Recommended Soundcard? RME?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sonnydeletejc

Windows 7, Live 9 - Recommended Soundcard? RME?

Post by sonnydeletejc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my M-Audio FW410, because its old and I experience regular loss of audio since upgrading to WIn7, which requires me to restart the PC. I've tried all the tweaks that Ableton recommends, but this still happens, and not just with Live - any application which utilizes audio - VLC, Winamp, Windows Media Player, YouTube, etc

I was always happy with the latency on the FW410. I play a bit of guitar in to Live, so this is quite important.

I was just wondering what Win7 people are using, and whether it's been reliable and hassle free.

I don't need lots of Ins and Outs, but at least 1x stereo in, 1x stereo out and a line-in for my guitar.

Someone recommenced RME gear to me, and I've had a look at Babyface. Anyone got any experience with this interface?

Thanks,
JC

sonnydeletejc

Re: Windows 7, Live 9 - Recommended Soundcard? RME?

Post by sonnydeletejc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:02 pm

...or the TC Electronic Impact Twin. Anyone use this?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Used the babyface quiet a bit (friend has one on his mac) and have the I big version (UFX) on my mac. Used both on Win7 as well. Seems pretty reliable these days, RME ongoing driver support seems quite decent (ie still updating drivers for their more ancient hardware which to me is very important when you invest in anything that isnt allmost throw-away kind of cheap).

RME audio interfaces are generally good at low latency as well and audio quality in and out is good.

While they are more expensive than many other options, having been burned in the past by crappy driver support and driver support being dropped at OS releases etc I figure it actually works out cheaper in the long run to pay the extra for an RME interface and be fairly confident of not getting stiffed over driver support in a couple of years and of course you get good audio hardware to start with.
Nothing to see here - move along!

sonnydeletejc

Post by sonnydeletejc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi Khazul,

Thanks for the reply.

So that sounds like a thumbs up for the Babyface then. The more I read about, the more appealing it gets.

I'm impressed at the low latencies being reported online, especially given that this is a USB 2.0 device.

J

ark

Post by ark » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:34 pm

I've been using a Roland Octa-Capture and am completely satisfied with it. I particularly like the fact that it has lots of inputs and outputs because I can use it as a kind of patch bay.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:05 pm

sonnydeletejc wrote:I'm impressed at the low latencies being reported online, especially given that this is a USB 2.0 device.
I think that most people are just surprised that USB 2 isn't as terrible as they imagine it to be :P

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:14 pm

sonnydeletejc wrote:Hi Khazul,

Thanks for the reply.

So that sounds like a thumbs up for the Babyface then. The more I read about, the more appealing it gets.

I'm impressed at the low latencies being reported online, especially given that this is a USB 2.0 device.

J
Sad to hear your 410 is giving you troubles while mine os working fine in W7. While RME are expensive going from M-Audio to RME is like going from the ground floor to the penthouse.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:42 pm

I too replaced my 410 with the Babyface, never looked back.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

digid

Post by digid » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Been working with the Babyface for the last year or so - rock solid.

Drivers still being further developed (they even made it iPad friendly in 2013), and even though the TotalMix software is a bit quirky, the product as a whole is very, very good.
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:53 am

What I use is the focusrite saffire 14. I had a profire 610 which was mostly flawless except for if for some reason there was a crash. Then I'd have to reboot. The saffire does not have this issue.

I'm a guitar player too, I haven't had any issues. Drivers have been solid in win7x64 here.

sonnydeletejc

Post by sonnydeletejc » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks everyone for their input and advice.

So, there a few more suggestions for me to investigate and weigh up. Ironically my FW410 hasn’t crashed since my first post. Maybe it knows it might be on its way out the door!

I had had a look at the Profire 610, due to it being a successor of the FW410. It looks like a suped-up version of mine – probably with more up to date drivers and better features no doubt.

I have a friend who uses a Focusrite Saffire 14 and has good things to say.

As for the Roland Octa-Capture I admit I hadn’t even heard of that one, but I’ll certainly look in to it.

Thanks again everyone.

J

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:35 pm

native instruments complete audio 5 will be awesome if you have at least one usb2 port. they could be are buggy on usb3.