Soft synths?????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kitekrazy

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by kitekrazy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:38 pm

ian_halsall wrote:
filter_7 wrote:You can't go wrong buying Ableton Suite; there are a LOTS of preset to play with.

If you buy the standard version i suggest this synth that is free and super powerful:
http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/

hundreds of downloadable free presets too.

I don't think suite is worth it.

I own it and I only ever use Operator.

I regularly use FM8, Massive, Kontakt, Reaktor and some other stuff from Camel and Sugarbytes.

Sampler is IMO useless because it has no timestretch.
It would be if it were $100. The original price is steep for proprietary instruments.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 pm

Finnbarker wrote:Hi im buying ableton live standard and i want to make avicii/eric pryds/syn cole type music(progressive house i guess). I want to know if i should buy sylenth for sound design or if ableton standard is strong enough that i could make some nice progressive house sounds in ableton. I will spend money on sylenth if i have too because im not going to pirate it.

please tell me if you have ever created progressive house in ableton without any other plug ins.

Gripe about sylenth is that it is only 32 bit, so if you plan on using Live in 64 bit mode you will need something like JBridge.

Other than that Sylenth is a great synth and fairly easy to program. I like it a lot better than Live Analog but I'm sure Analog does some things Sylenth cannot. Sylenth particularly excels in the extra wide unison synth leads. Both are basic subtractive style synths but Sylenth definitely has a wider userbase which helps for tutorials and presets.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:29 pm

I thought Sylenth got a 64bit update?

scratch that... wow glad I sold that a while back.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:12 am

Airyck wrote:I thought Sylenth got a 64bit update?

scratch that... wow glad I sold that a while back.
It is for PC but it is still 32 bit for Mac. They are working on the 64 bit version though.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:36 pm

tubeohm alpha-ray

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:11 am

+1 for Monark. I haven't been able to leave it alone?
Anyone toy around with Iris?
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

amillionwinters

Post by amillionwinters » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:23 pm

i know others have mentioned it already, but i very much recommend u-he DIVA. i absolutely love it! plus, urs and his team are active on their forums and great with support! it is always a bonus for me when the creator of an instrument is more personally involved with the community that uses it. it takes a lot of extra effort on the creator's part to keep in touch like that. it makes me really appreciate all of their work and effort.

i think zebra is great for sound design, too.

**edit:

i have live suite. i don't regret buying suite over standard, but i also don't really use all of the extras that come with it. the only times i have ever used analog has been for really simple sounds that are not prominent parts of the song, and for when i want to keep the cpu meter down. and even still, sometimes i still use DIVA and then just freeze/flatten the track.

operator and sampler are both very nice devices to have. i have FM8, and i think it sounds great, but i feel operator is about on par in sound quality. i am sure others have different opinions, though.

the extra packs that come with suite are nice, but may not be worth the added cost depending upon your existing sound library.

max for live is very useful to have, i think. i haven't attempted to create my own devices, though i would like to try at some point. i do find myself using m4l devices fairly regularly, though.

like i said, i don't regret buying suite over standard. but, i also don't think it is of the greatest value. for example, i think reason is much more "bang for your buck." but, you don't get session view with reason.

take care!

-alan

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:22 pm

+1 for U-He Diva. 99% of my (non-drum) sounds come from Diva these days. Everyone says it's only good for classic/analog-y sounds, but I disagree. It can sound aggresive/modern, but it does have a thickness (phat?) to it that i find my other plugins don't have.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:19 pm

I would like Suite (I just have standard now) but it's only because I want Max4Live and Sampler. Buying them separate is almost the same cost as my upgrade so I guess at some point I'll just upgrade to Suite, but I don't really care about the rest.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 pm

M4L is cool and there are many devices for it but unless you're gunna dig under the hood I wouldn't spend the extra coin. There are cooler fx plugins to be had.
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.