Bitwig looks shit...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: Bitwig looks shit...

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:53 am

shadx312 wrote:
eyeknow wrote:
shadx312 wrote:Image
That guy looks pissed. Must not have been invited to the bitwig beta!
He was pondering over the oven for a toaster!
lolzes!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:54 am

qwerty rapper wrote:
ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!!
I am not a ho.

:D

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 am

squee!
ImageImage

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 am

Ryder17 wrote:
eyeknow wrote:
Ryder17 wrote: I'm really looking forward to bitwig being released actually. It's been built up so much it will be amusing to see all these idealistic bubbles burst. :evil:
So you're saying your a lemming watcher?

:lol:

On a serious note, if someone wants bitwig.........more power to them. There is nothing wrong with that.
I don't know what it means to watch a lemming. My only experience with the creatures is organizing their demise on my amiga back in the day.

If someone wants it, cool. The fact that it exists, cool (competition is healthy after all)... But to see live users raving about it on the Ableton forum when it hasn't even been released yet!!!!.... I just think we needed a little balance :wink:
Duuuuuuuuuudddde, DOOD? Dude!

A lemming watcher is someone who watches people jumping off a cliff at the first sign of something. COME ON MAN! We gotta get you to lighten up!

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:59 am

I've been a loyal Live user since version 3. And i've bought every single upgrade.
Bitwig is refreshing and addresses a number of annoyances and limits I found with Live. I've been beta testing, and I can say I prefer it to Live now....
Ryder17 wrote:
102455 wrote:Metadata based browser FTW (as they say these days).

Ableton, look at these guys. This is what we want in the Live browser.
Thing is, we all have little ideas that would make the program better for us, I for one would like to see a brain to audio function.

Everyone seems to be banging on about how Bitwig is getting this and that right, let's not forget that Bitwig are the rip-off's here blatantly copying what is a unique and groundbreaking bit of software. I find it hard to believe that any legit licensed live user would sell up and jump ship to an unproven program just for the sake of a few 'improvements'...... unless of course you use a cracked version and there is no value to be sacrificed.

Live changed everything for me and for that, I am loyal. I don't need metadata browsers and shit to make my music better, Live has exceeded anything I thought possible 15 or so years ago. It's influenced music and made things possible for bands and electronic live acts that simply wouldn't exist if Ableton live didn't. Whatever Bitwig promises, it's got fuck all on that.

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:02 am

eyeknow wrote:
Ryder17 wrote:

I don't know what it means to watch a lemming. My only experience with the creatures is organizing their demise on my amiga back in the day.

If someone wants it, cool. The fact that it exists, cool (competition is healthy after all)... But to see live users raving about it on the Ableton forum when it hasn't even been released yet!!!!.... I just think we needed a little balance :wink:
Duuuuuuuuuudddde, DOOD? Dude!

A lemming watcher is someone who watches people jumping off a cliff at the first sign of something. COME ON MAN! We gotta get you to lighten up!
[/quote]

Alright alright, I've just never heard the expression is all :P

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:05 am

elemental wrote:I've been a loyal Live user since version 3. And i've bought every single upgrade.
Bitwig is refreshing and addresses a number of annoyances and limits I found with Live. I've been beta testing, and I can say I prefer it to Live now....
Well if that's the case, im intrigued. At least you've used the thing.

So how does it sync with the outside world? Have you used it with a band or anything?

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:13 am

Please, let's not let facts distract from a perfectly good rant.

Sorry, rizzle.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:16 am

Good point.

I also like that they made a vst bridge. It's a better answer than "One already exists, go buy it if you need one".
JBridge is clunky, yo.
ImageImage

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:26 am

elemental wrote:I've been a loyal Live user since version 3. And i've bought every single upgrade.
Can you comment on the CPU usage of relatively similar loads on Live vs. Bitwig? I know it's not scientific, but can you make an assessment?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:28 am

Samuel L. Jizzle wrote:
Ryder17 wrote:They're even bringing out a native modular system ffs!
Yes, a real one. Not some gene-splice hack-job like Ableton did with m4l.

Am I the only one who's noticed that most of Live's "improvements" since 7 have been little more than license agreements with other companies?

Here's a quick list:

Collision
EQ 8
Corpus
Analog
Glue
Max for Live
Tension
Electric

Aside from these licenced add-ons, all we've add is curved automation, a new clunky browser, and a new low contrast skin.

And Push. Or are you writing that one up to AKAI?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:29 am

And don't you dare call me "Fizzle" :evil:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:23 am

Samuel L. Jizzle wrote:I'm still pissed at Apple for introducing iWork as an alternative to Microsoft Office.

We only need one application per task. All this competition is ruining... something! It's ruining something! But screw that, I'm loyal.

Back on track, Live 9's color scheme is a joke. It seriously lacks contrast, and if I spend more than 2 minutes with it, my eyes start to bleed. I'm not a huge fan of Bitwig's orange, but at least it pops. And sizzles. Me nizzles.

- Sam Jizzle

You should try the Maschine themed skin some user made (there is a thread on that here) I use it exclusivly now and it's quite beautiful!

As to the whole Bitwig issue:
I think most people here are just talking out of having a severe case of GAS.
I at least am not the slightest bit interested in Bitwig and not because it's bad or a rip off or any such nonsense (why would I care if it is, as long as it is good?), but because I invested not just quite a bit of money into Live, but also a lot of time learning it. I have finally come to a point, where I know even some of the more advanced details of Live and my lack of knowledge never stands in the way of my creativity anymore. Why would I give all of that up, just for the new shiny?

The next time I will invest in a new DAW is when it is based on VR with the Occulus Rift and data gloves... :mrgreen:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:43 am

login wrote:The use of 3d elements on the interface designed by Ableton (the organization of the main interface with clip view, instrument view, broswer, help view, etc are very important in the workflow of live) is quite terrible, if they already copied all the main elements why not the flat graphic design? It's one of thje most important elements of it. That shows that they might be able to advance technical features for audio and midi editing, but they don't have any ideas of their own regarding GUI, which IMO is half the succes of Live. They went the lazy way copyng and pasting an horrible 3d design over it making it look like FL studio.

I think the advancement of usability and workflow in daw's should be a priority since the technical audio side is quite very advanced right now in every one outhere.
because the lacking of affordance is the weakness of Live interface?

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:43 pm

Shitwig.