weird parallel compression issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djcyph

weird parallel compression issue

Post by djcyph » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:17 am

so i got my drum group and then a compressor on one of my return tracks. when i send the drums WITHOUT the kick playing everything is beautiful. WITH the kick playing im getting some sort of delay and it sounds like someone is mixing and train wrecking two tracks....my kick is layered in an instrument rack, body and click...it seems like it's the click, like the compressed signal is like milliseconds behind the clean signal...or maybe i just have to mix the layers better now? maybe sending too much of the kick?...any ideas?

NF

Re: weird parallel compression issue

Post by NF » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:39 am

Hey,

first try it with 3 same signals- is there still a listenable delay? did you enable latency compensation in option menue?

if not, then its the audible difference of hi/mid/low signals. a compressor usally rises up the low gain dirt of an signal. that changes also the preceived over-all signal/ sound.
you can understand a classic kick drum as a sound consisting of 3 parts of a signal: in time domain the highs first, then mids, at last then lows. it's all about timing to glue this 3 together. try playing with a delay (insert fx/ 100% wet/ linked/ time in ms) to glue them.
if they are tight, just record it as sample (e.g. twice of your project samplerate/ 24bit to preceive quality) and use the wav file to produce.

If you start bulding your kick drums like this, you can handle a major problem in producing ;)

use compression only in rare cases- dynamic is everything, accurate levelling and automation is more important.

any questions? :wink:
The cool thing about techno still, comparing it to most jazz is the improvisation coupled with raw energy.

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:24 pm

Try playing around with the release on your compressor. If the release is letting go while there is sound playing such that when it does it's not loud enough to immediately re-engage the compressor it can create a sort of slap back sound when the volume suddenly pumps back up that could be what you're hearing as a delay.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:12 am

Any accidental feedback loops in that? Maybe Live is switching off the delay compensation.
Nothing to see here - move along!