Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
insomniaLab

Re: Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Post by insomniaLab » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:00 am

Hmmm, I just realized that the Advanced Instrument Mode script had a small bug in the version I posted that would offset all scales by +2 semitones. Don't know why that block of code was still there in that version, but I've corrected and reuploaded the scripts here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7cadw ... ntMode.zip

I also edited my original post to point to correct link.

mots, I think it would be very do-able and maybe even quite simple to modify my current script to work for quick access to the scales, rather than having to hold down the scale edit button. This would actually be pretty useful in a few rare cases (I can think of a few songs with rapid key changes), and I might take this on as my next update (been busy recently, but may have some time soon). This definitely adds another layer of complexity, but it would be an invaluable tool for those who know how to use it... but I guess the entire advanced mode section is like that.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm

I would like a matrix mode for Launchpad that would act as a "chord rack", where I could define a chord (as in the "Chord Device" Midi effect in live), with the chord structure defined by intervals related to the lowest note which could be set arbitrarily.

Then each pad could play a chord into an multi-timbral instrument.... which would allow dominant 7ths, secondary dominants, etc. independent of scale (or key)....

(I tried dropping a chord device into a drum rack, but it doesn't work - it will only play one note, and you can't assign all the pad chains to a single instrument instance)

I'm not sure this is possible in a script, though; but it might be done via a M4L device. NativeKontrol programs have similar capability (PXT-Live Plus, General), but I'm still not sure they will work in the way I'm imagining this....

(That is, one should be able to set the midi note of a pad (to establish the lowest note), and then drag/drop a pre-configured chord device to it. Then I could "strum" the Launchpad (or Push) like a guitar, "changing chords" with just one finger....)

So I think what is needed is a M4L (Chord Effect) device wrapper -if it could be integrated into a drum rack, so much the better...

RD444

Post by RD444 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:20 pm

Launchpad95 looks awesome.

quick question:

Does the new changes affect this? in the Live 9 update
Live would allow to trigger changes from notifications via the Python API. This could lead to problems with Live’s Undo history or even to crashes and is no longer allowed. Note that this change might affect compatibility with 3rd party control surface scripts, i.e. scripts that are not natively supported by Ableton. Please contact the manufacturer of the script in case you encounter any problems.
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/liv ... ase-notes/
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"
The bigger the project the more out of time it will be.

mots

Post by mots » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:52 am

RD444 wrote: Does the new changes affect this?
Live would allow to trigger changes from notifications via the Python API. This could lead to problems with Live’s Undo history or even to crashes and is no longer allowed. Note that this change might affect compatibility with 3rd party control surface scripts, i.e. scripts that are not natively supported by Ableton. Please contact the manufacturer of the script in case you encounter any problems.
hi,

i tested quickly the beta as they released it and it showed no problem. so it should be okay !

i will of course give it a go later this week with the final release and check everything is okay.

cheers,

RD444

Post by RD444 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 am

mots wrote:
RD444 wrote: Does the new changes affect this?
hi,

i tested quickly the beta as they released it and it showed no problem. so it should be okay !

i will of course give it a go later this week with the final release and check everything is okay.

cheers,

Cheers bud.

Yeah I had sold my launch pad. ... saw your video... then quickly bought another launchpad. ...arrived today..... such is the power of your programming and flashy lights. . ;)

(I tried out the mini but the buttons were too stiff and kept double firing. It's like a design fault on the unit)

Anyway I'm excited. .. to get this bad boy on the road... I'll update live at another time.

Cheers for the reply
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"

RD444

Post by RD444 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:15 pm

This Launchpad95 is awesome.

Loads of fun today - 2mins setting up 4 hours of fun - YES :)

--
I know its my first day but Is there a way of playing chords like the J74 script.
I couldn't work out how to do it on the Launchpad95 script.

VID is here - hes playing chords across the keyboard
http://youtu.be/jXTf4vF7e1Q?t=1m9s

I'd like to bash out a few chord ideas

I posted the picture because my music theory is a little bit intermediate :) :)

J47 script is missing the launchpad95 -record and undo etc and about a zillon other features that I don't understand yet. And naughty j47 is trying to make money from music (gasp!) :)

http://fabriziopoce.com/isocontrollers.html

mots

Post by mots » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:34 pm

RD444 wrote:This Launchpad95 is awesome.

Loads of fun today - 2mins setting up 4 hours of fun - YES :)

--
I know its my first day but Is there a way of playing chords like the J74 script.
I couldn't work out how to do it on the Launchpad95 script.

VID is here - hes playing chords across the keyboard

I'd like to bash out a few chord ideas

I posted the picture because my music theory is a little bit intermediate :) :)

J47 script is missing the launchpad95 -record and undo etc and about a zillon other features that I don't understand yet. And naughty j47 is trying to make money from music (gasp!) :)

http://fabriziopoce.com/isocontrollers.html

actually this is just the diatonic instrument mode on the , but with a shift of 2 notes instead 3 then you go up one row.

to be frank i am not sure it makes much much difference. but that is fore sure doable. i'll have a look at it when i find time.

in J74 style :
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
o x x x x x x x
o x x x x x x x
o x x x x x x x

in push style :
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x o x x x x x x
o x 0 x x x x x

this is just a question of habit. i prefer the push style, easier to finger really (unless you rotate the launchpad 90 degrees)

RD444

Post by RD444 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm

mots wrote:

actually this is just the diatonic instrument mode on the , but with a shift of 2 notes instead 3 then you go up one row.

to be frank i am not sure it makes much much difference. but that is fore sure doable. i'll have a look at it when i find time.

in J74 style :
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
o x x x x x x x
o x x x x x x x
o x x x x x x x

in push style :
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x o x x x x x x
o x 0 x x x x x

this is just a question of habit. i prefer the push style, easier to finger really (unless you rotate the launchpad 90 degrees)

Cheers bud

Yeah to play sequences of chords using triads and then the four or five finger is hard

sometimes its nice to play
note 1 and 3 of a chord
or 1 or and 4 of a four finger chord

to thin them out a bit

or have higher notes to a chord an octave up

Also it would be great to highlight the notes playing on the pother octaves to hit a high note to fill out a chord.

---
on a side note:
I really like the the chromatic page because it leaves the "out of scale notes" still there but blacked out
so I can hit a surprise out of scale note

I'm torn between which script to use

(Where Harry Hill when you need him - UK joke)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:06 pm

What it is, is like Push set in 3rds mode. Push can do 3rds per row instead of 4ths and still does this with scales.

It also does horizontally or vertically.

RD444

Post by RD444 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:32 pm

yur2die4 wrote:What it is, is like Push set in 3rds mode. Push can do 3rds per row instead of 4ths and still does this with scales.

It also does horizontally or vertically.
I don't understand

J47 iso example is here
the three four and five finger chords are played up the way and it has an option to transpose

Its not easy to that in Launchpad95

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Of course, with a Chord Rack (assign any user defined chord to a pad, InKey or not), all these issues would be moot. Like a Drum Rack, but with chords....

Just sayin' (hint, hint) :)

RD444

Post by RD444 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Of course, with a Chord Rack (assign any user defined chord to a pad, InKey or not), all these issues would be moot. Like a Drum Rack, but with chords....

Just sayin' (hint, hint) :)
Hey Cheers but

The python scripts are rally immediate on everything no adding devices etc

I bought the J7 iso. Its a different beast. Chord thing rules (diatonic)

(I miss selecting the key with shift, i miss oct up down, I miss seeing what key octave or transpose I'm in)
Maybe its something J47 will do in the future
J47 has markings for note 3 and 5 - but i miss the button lighting up when i press it like launchpad95.

So in summary Launchpad95 is more featured and faster workflow. if i was to be brutally honest the free one is lot better.

-

Where J47 ISO rules is chords

choose a scale
choose minor
Chose any chord pattern I IV V or I IV IV I etc
and play any kind of chord in that pattern
then play any --2 note chord (note 13 or 15)- 3 note chord (note 123 124) - 4 note chord (1234) Etc etc etc

So any Chord position I II III IV etc
any fingered chord (well most)
also the colours represent Major or minor on diminished

Its good

I'm a regular keyboard cat now :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Well. What I'm saying is that the LP95 doesn't have it, but Push does.

I imagine that with some clever programming, this might be a highly doable mode, I mean of Push has it already, the LP95 could probably adopt it.

On Push, if you hold Scale... there might be Shift involved, I don't remember.

It gives the options of vertical or horizontal rows for its usual fourths mode. But it also offers those options for thirds. Plus a non-repeating option.

Both fourths and thirds modes can have In Key or Chromatic modes and both go through all the scales and keys available.

Also, on that chart you show an example of 'playing up the scale', and it shows them going three across, and up-and-to-the-left. That is not necessary, you can get the same scale playing simply by playing two notes per row. Less confusing.

But yeah, I'd love to see this added to LP95....although I've gotten quite accustomed to the standard fourths method :P

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:38 pm

You can't do play any chord built on the dominant 7th in InKey mode on push. So everything sounds like Muzak or bad jazz..... :)

And the main thing is being able to play any chord in any progression live with one finger.... (changing chords FAST and accurately) :)
Not only that, but to have 64 complex chord choices in the matrix... which could be transposed instantly (either half-step or octave) using a pitch device... or arrow keys (or keys on the controller)

The first guy that does this as a VST so it would be useable in any DAW will be famous, if not rich. But Live would be a good start...

(Ableton really should do this .. IMO, their Midi Chord device is a day late and a dollar short - practically worthless in real life)..

I look at the new M-Audio Trigger Finger and wonder... "I wonder if they might be interested....."
Last edited by Buleriachk on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RD444

Post by RD444 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:47 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Well. What I'm saying is that the LP95 doesn't have it, but Push does.

I imagine that with some clever programming, this might be a highly doable mode, I mean of Push has it already, the LP95 could probably adopt it.

On Push, if you hold Scale... there might be Shift involved, I don't remember.

It gives the options of vertical or horizontal rows for its usual fourths mode. But it also offers those options for thirds. Plus a non-repeating option.

Both fourths and thirds modes can have In Key or Chromatic modes and both go through all the scales and keys available.

Also, on that chart you show an example of 'playing up the scale', and it shows them going three across, and up-and-to-the-left. That is not necessary, you can get the same scale playing simply by playing two notes per row. Less confusing.

But yeah, I'd love to see this added to LP95....although I've gotten quite accustomed to the standard fourths method :P
Cool I understand a bit better now.

I've never had a go on a push. Too big for the desk too expensive.

But yeah I'm happy with my 2 scripts. :)

But playing the notes vertically on the j74 iso is really easy - to know what your doing, its all in a row. no thinking.

but no cool feed back

If I play my keyboard the Launchpad95 is doing the disco for me....yeah impress the ladies...if there were some ladies in my studio..(*note to self get ladies)