No Overdub into audio clips????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kurtr2

No Overdub into audio clips????

Post by kurtr2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Pleeeeease tell me its possible to overdub into an audio clip....

:cry:

k

chapelier fou

Re: No Overdub into audio clips????

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:50 pm

No it's not.
But you could route your input and your recorded clip into another track ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:32 pm

yeah that doesnt really work for me, darn it I wonder why Ableton didnt implement that, seems like DAW 101.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Maybe you wanna use the looper ?
If you'd tell what you're into, maybe someone could help...anyway.
Otherwise : viewforum.php?f=3
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 pm

"DAW 101" eh?

I've not actually encountered a DAW that does 'sound-on-sound" overdubbing into a single audio region/clip/event/object whatever. Most DAWs do have a comping feature which allows multiple audio takes to be recorded into the region and then promoted to be 'active', but comping allows one stream to be audible at any one time. I'm unfamiliar with any DAW that allows multiple layers of sound to be written into one object and be multiply audible.

As an aside: when Ableton were first spec'ing their Looper I suggested that it would be better to extend the clip object to allow sound-on-sound looping, and comping. The Looping and comping features would be functions of the Clip object, but a new Device could provide an interface to that functional extension. It would break their concept of the clip/device barrier, but I felt that users would accept it, and I felt it would be a better return on dev investment.
They were not convinced, at least not beyond "Huh, that's an interesting idea. Nope!" :lol:

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:54 pm

thats true about sound on sound overdubbing, my mistake. i would use the looper but it has a defined time limit on it, so i had to go to clips to do what i am doing (live song improvisation with multi track audio and midi), but now i cant overdub onto my clip. maybe if you have their ear they might be ok with taking the predefined limit off the looping time, i wonder why there is one on there anyway, i would think that would only be a limitation of disk space...

thanks,
K

akamed

Post by akamed » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi,
because I didn´t find a better way to use audio overdubbing in Live (IMO it´s behaviour is asking for some way of audio overdubbing) the only way I found to get it was to do it with 2 track groups (I also wanted to store the layers of the loops). With Ableton Live, it would be great to have the possibility of overdubbing "downwards" on the same track, to have the first layer on the 1st clip, the 2nd layer on the second clip, etc. in the same track.

You can check out my system, it does something similar...

www.audiolooping.com

Cheers!