Bitwig 1.0

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
njh

Re: Bitwig 1.0

Post by njh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:27 pm

shadx312 wrote:
I wouldnt call being in a 3rd world country nor being to poor to be able to afford a computer luck. In fact its the opposite of luck. Its called being victimized by the rich in "1st world countries"
Did I say computer? No, I said DAW.
My head is hardly up capitalism's ass. It is however in the realm of reality.

And life must just be so terrible that the worst thing you have to worry about is that you have filth outside of your house and you have to walk to use a DAW.
Please miss the point some more.
Im sorry, I do think it is terrible if some one is forced to live in filth and has to walk miles to borrow a shity computer when the technology and money is available fore everyone to have transportation and a computer.
Do you bother to think outside of the world you live in?
Do you really think things have to be the way they are because they are this way?
If you dont think there is enough for everyone in this world to live a decent life then you have let your mind be propagated by free market capitalism.

njh

Post by njh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Angstrom wrote:Ableton Live 9 standard : £339 / €388
Ableton Live 9 suite : £522 / €635
Bitwig studio: £249 / €299

It's an outrage , a positive outrage!!
that they are only 100 gbp / 120 € cheaper than Ableton Live standard !

How dare they only be that much cheaper!!!
The price Quoted originally Was $449 Gramps.
If your going to nod off mid conversation you cant come back fighting.
Btw if your going to show us something so bold as new pricing you could at least give the link.
Last edited by njh on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:31 pm

njh wrote:
Nokatus wrote: As of Bitwig running on linux and then charging $400 is just a slap in the face to the open source comunity.
They had to use open code to write bigwig but are they going to make the source freely available? Can I alter bitwig and then sell it as my own (you are able to do this with free software)
What bitwig did was use the community for their own capitalist greed. So fuck them. And who cares if you can run bitwig on Ubuntu its the most intrusive flavor of linux out there.
I dont think you understand how most real world linux development actually works. You do realize that 90+% of all advanced electronics out there are running linux. Your tv, your set top boxes, your phones, many appliances now. You do not have to open source code just because it is written on/for linux. You can use open source code in and for your product as long as you do not modify the open source you are using. If you do then you must publish those changes somewhere and make them available. There is no requirement for a company to just publish any damn thing they create just because it happens to be on linux

There are many software packages that run on linux that can cost thousands and tens of thousands, lets just force all of them to give away a product because they link in a shared open source library. Why not force all companies who do any sort of data crunching and database storage to opensource all their software, because the majority is running on linux
Last edited by ezelkow1 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 pm

njh wrote:I wouldnt call being in a 3rd world country nor being to poor to be able to afford a computer luck. In fact its the opposite of luck. Its called being victimized by the rich in "1st world countries"
and here it is... the victim bit ^

because all third world countries would be much better off if left just the way they are. were you talking about specific ones or just making another blanket statement like you are doing for the world of musicians?

'
if you don't want or can't afford Bitwig that's cool, but i think you're either really young and naive... or you're forgetting the not so distant roots. Cubase SX3 was 800 dollars in 2006. how much does it cost to get a Pro-Tools setup... and 5 years ago?

it's taken Bitwig 5 years to get this product together for you to be able to ridicule the pricing on as if you'd could do better. the truth is... you can't afford it. it's okay. no one hates you for not having that kind of cast... except maybe your girlfriend.

chill out mang.
Last edited by H20nly on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njh

Post by njh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:
njh wrote:
Nokatus wrote: As of Bitwig running on linux and then charging $400 is just a slap in the face to the open source comunity.
They had to use open code to write bigwig but are they going to make the source freely available? Can I alter bitwig and then sell it as my own (you are able to do this with free software)
What bitwig did was use the community for their own capitalist greed. So fuck them. And who cares if you can run bitwig on Ubuntu its the most intrusive flavor of linux out there.
You do realize that 90+% of all advanced electronics out there are running linux.
Is this a percentage you came up with or are these real figures out there. If this is a real percentage rate you should post a link to facts so people to feel you are full of shit. I feel you just came up with that percentage like the rest of the people throwing around bs percentages on the internet E.I. saying something is 99.9 percent when they dont know the real percentage.
Bitwig Is software that runs on a pc. Most software that runs on linux is available as source code for you to alter and do what you please with.(I dont know the percentage rate and unlike you I am uncomfortable making one up out of thin air)
After you alter the software you are free to do what you want to the software.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:47 pm

H20nly wrote:
, but i think you're either really young and naive...
My guess is a first year university student who has just done an economics class and discovered what Neo Liberalism is. ;)

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:48 pm

well since 'advanced electronics' is pretty broad and ambiguous at the same time, but yes Im comfortable saying that. When you consider that every android product is linux based. I personally know that most of the set top boxes out there run linux as that is what I do for a living. The majority of the recent smart tvs all run linux, so yes, Im comfortable with that

You making some argument about a percentage still does not remove the fact that you do not understand commercial linux software development. You are not required to release source code, ever, unless you modify existing code that has a license that says you must publish those changes. So unless bitwig modified an open source library that has a license that says that, then no, they are not required to release any of their source code
Last edited by ezelkow1 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njh

Post by njh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:48 pm

H20nly wrote:
njh wrote:I wouldnt call being in a 3rd world country nor being to poor to be able to afford a computer luck. In fact its the opposite of luck. Its called being victimized by the rich in "1st world countries"
and here it is... the victim bit ^

because all third world countries would be much better off if left just the way they are. were you talking about specific ones or just making another blanket statement like you are doing for the world of musicians?

if you don't want or can't afford Bitwig that's cool, but i think you're either really young and naive... or your forgetting the not so distant roots. Cubase SX3 was 800 dollars in 2006. how much does it cost to get a Pro-Tools setup... and 5 years ago?

it's taken Bitwig 5 years to get this product together for you to be able to ridicule the pricing on as if you'd could do better. the truth is... you can't afford it. it's okay. no one hates you for not having that kind of cast... except maybe your girlfriend.

chill out mang.
I will chill out and eat a burger while watching man of steele mang when its time to chill out.
Its beyond obvious after all these years that you are one of the most naive uninformed members here. You go along with whatever the majority says and you never say anything that remotely sounds like a fresh idea. When a new Idea does come along you will be there to suppress it with your ignorance.
You try to come off as the cool guy lending a helping hand but then immediately throw something backhanded in there like "its ok no one hates you except your girlfriend" Are you fucking on meth? What type of 3rd grade put down is that?
Go turn on the t.v. and fry your brain to American Choppers or Pawn All Stars.

njh

Post by njh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Holy shit people Im not reading anymore PM's
I find pms to be creepy.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:51 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
stringtapper wrote: News flash: investing in being a musician can be expensive. And then it's hard to make a living at. And I'm talking about being an instrumentalist who actually works. Not a guy fucking around with beats in his underwear. Yes it's tough but all of the pros I know and work with invest in good tools for their craft.

Hey! I totally fuck around with beats in my underwear. But i found some people who were dumb/nice enough to put those beats on a record. Now I'm a professional musician.

(thinly veiled brag that i'm a super wealthy EDM superstar producer. My underwear are custom made for me and i eat caviar and shaved gold while fucking around with beats. I'm totally not actually super broke and living a fucked up nomadic lifestyle with few material things beyond my music shit. really. seriously.)
Then keep fucking around! :P
Unsound Designer

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Do you bother to think outside of the world you live in?
You really have no idea.
Do you really think things have to be the way they are because they are this way?
You really have no idea.
If you dont think there is enough for everyone in this world to live a decent life then you have let your mind be propagated by free market capitalism.
Wow, you know me so well, from so little. Please, just use me as your scapegoat and get it all out. I know it isn't personal.

I also think it's terrible that a kid who just lost their parents and limbs to a suicide bomber is thinking "If only BW was cheaper..."
ImageImage

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:54 pm

It's up to the person (or people) who created something to decide how much it's worth to them, not you.

It's up to you to decide if that price is worth it to you, if not, move on.

Simple
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

njh

Post by njh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:55 pm

puzzlefactory wrote:
H20nly wrote:
, but i think you're either really young and naive...
My guess is a first year university student who has just done an economics class and discovered what Neo Liberalism is. ;)
My guess is if you were a comedian you would never run out of tomato's

*in case i need to make it clear to you, knowing most people of the internet i probably do*
Because you would suck and people would throw tomato's at you.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Well there's really no dueling with razor sharp wit like that. :)

njh

Post by njh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:58 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:well since 'advanced electronics' is pretty broad and ambiguous at the same time, but yes Im comfortable saying that. When you consider that every android product is linux based. I personally know that most of the set top boxes out there run linux as that is what I do for a living. The majority of the recent smart tvs all run linux, so yes, Im comfortable with that

You making some argument about a percentage still does not remove the fact that you do not understand commercial linux software development. You are not required to release source code, ever, unless you modify existing code that has a license that says you must publish those changes. So unless bitwig modified an open source library that has a license that says that, then no, they are not required to release any of their source code
MOST of it is released as source code and I cant think of anything that has to do with audio or video that isnt released as source code.