New to Live and interested in Push. In need of some advice.

Discuss Push with other users.
panten

Re: New to Live and interested in Push. In need of some advice.

Post by panten » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:02 pm

Nice one man, glad to hear you're enjoying it. It'll become exponentially better the more your muscle memory kicks in.

If you're keen on creating variations of drum beats there are a couple of ways to do it.
  • Using the Duplicate/New buttons to create new scenes.
  • Using the Loop Control buttons to create multiple loops on the same clip.
I quite often prefer the latter. Try this;
  • Make sure Fixed Length button is unlit (off)
  • Hit the Record button and start jamming [don't worry about what you're recording just go with it and get a groove going]
  • Stop recording and choose your best loop then Right Mouse Click in the Clip view in Live and choose crop clip.
  • Use combinations of the Double button and the Loop Length controls to create variations of your drums. You can jump arbitrarily between the loops to hear how they work consecutively.
This method is a great way to work because it's fast and you can jump around between the different loops you make (even part of the way through a loop. The next loop will pick up from where the last one left off.) If you hit Arrangement Record then start jamming around with the loop controls your 'performance' will get recorded to the Arrangement View.

Sorry if this all sounds quite complicated, but once you start working this way it's extremely fast.

getting_there

Re: New to Live and interested in Push. In need of some advice.

Post by getting_there » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation I am definitely going to give that a shot tonight.

Finally got Live 9 Suite installed (which took a bit longer than expected) but now I am ready to go!