Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
yur2die4

Re: Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:43 pm

There is more too. If you read the site carefully, the are also ways to make New clip (I think??? Or immediately stop current playing and jump to next slot), and hold overdub for the metronome in all instrument modes. I really make good use of that one haha.

This is truly amazing work.

f.poce@tiscali.nl

Post by f.poce@tiscali.nl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Nice picture...
Cheers
J74
RD444 wrote:This Launchpad95 is awesome.

Loads of fun today - 2mins setting up 4 hours of fun - YES :)

--
I know its my first day but Is there a way of playing chords like the J74 script.
I couldn't work out how to do it on the Launchpad95 script.

VID is here - hes playing chords across the keyboard
http://youtu.be/jXTf4vF7e1Q?t=1m9s

I'd like to bash out a few chord ideas

I posted the picture because my music theory is a little bit intermediate :) :)

J47 script is missing the launchpad95 -record and undo etc and about a zillon other features that I don't understand yet. And naughty j47 is trying to make money from music (gasp!) :)

http://fabriziopoce.com/isocontrollers.html

RD444

Post by RD444 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:25 pm

f.poce@tiscali.nl wrote:Nice picture...
Cheers
J74
Yeah I hope you don't mind I print screened a bit from your manual J74

I bought the j74ISO mapping in the end but i'm using the FREE launchpad95

You got a bit of free advertising for your mapping though :) and I did include a few links

To be honest i felt a bit bad high-jacking the Lauchpad95 post with J74 ISO

J74 ISO is ok, but I really like the features on the Lauchpad95 better
Launchpad95 features like:
  • Visual feedaback from the python script (buttons light when you press them)
  • scale selection is easy not just up down.
  • its easy to see which scale, octave, transposition I'm in (touch of one button)
  • octave up down button
  • undo button
  • Flip the layout 90 degrees for easier chord playing
  • its free too
Both are good for musicality, maybe the J74 ISO will mature into something more developed.

Also Maybe people can discuss the J74 ISO on another post out of respect for mots great work Launchpad95
8) 8)

Anyway I hope you don't mind me whipping a picture form the manual, I can edit the post if it copyright or something.
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"
The bigger the project the more out of time it will be.

f.poce@tiscali.nl

Post by f.poce@tiscali.nl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:25 pm

Ok, my complete reaction on this:

1) I will accept/allow the fact you asked Mots explicitly to *develop the same* functionality of ISO (3rd shift mode, in ISO called diatonic mode) into Launchpad95, while actually this has already happened in the new Launchpad95 beta version. And I am not going to stand in the way of Mots, because Mots is a cool guy.

Anyway there are two things which I do not find right:
- I heard about this by opening a public forum post, you did not asked any permission for sharing this. It is always better to *ask permission* to the one who created an idea first, before you ask someone to copy it. Please consider that even if you did buy a copy of ISO, you did not buy the ideas in it, which are actually even covered by a non derivative license...
- I did not like being called "naughty" (as you did in your post with that picture). It is not exactly what I call a compliment, specially when I have a record of sharing FREE tools such as V-Module and Harmotools. This does not encourage me in sharing FREE things any further.

2) Just because you compared ISO with Launchpad95, I need to put some things right:
[*]Visual feedback from the python script (buttons light when you press them)
=> ISO Max for Live and Standalone version both do this (and can turn on and off, which sometimes help), the Python version in fact doesn't.
As a matter of fact the Max for Live and Standalone versions of ISO are the version I focus on developing because they offer room for further control. The Python version is more an alternative rather than the primary full version. The Max/standalone version allow me to do things like velocity emulation, pitch bending, custom scale and to save the scale with the liveset. These things help making this a reliable performance device.

[*]scale selection is easy not just up down.
[*]its easy to see which scale, octave, transposition I'm in (touch of one button)
[*]octave up down button
=> Indeed the way Launchpad95 does it is cool, as you do not have a screen.
In the ISO Controllers Max for Live & Standalone versions though you "see" these settings on the software user interface screen.

[*]its free too[/list]
=> ISO is not free (it's 8 dollars) indeed.
Anyway the two are not copy of each other. Launchpad95 is an all around Push-like tool for Launchpad, with lots of features (I think the community is very thankful to Mots and its Launchpad95 being free). ISO is specialized in isomorphic layouts only, with nine different alternative layouts (even if one of these ISO diatonic mode is being copied into Launcpad95 now), it is both APC40 and Launchpad, works in Ableton (Max for Live and Python) but also with any other DAW (as standalone application) and has a bunch of different features as well (pitch bending, custom scale, navigation of the circle of fifths).
There could be situations someone chooses for the first and others for the other. I perfectly understand that in your case you may find the L95 better.
It is a free world we live in.

Gr
J74
http://www.fabriziopoce.com/

PS: Please let's stop this, because this is a thread for the Launchpad95, and should remain so. If you and I have more comments to do let's make them offline.
RD444 wrote:
f.poce@tiscali.nl wrote:Nice picture...
Cheers
J74
Yeah I hope you don't mind I print screened a bit from your manual J74

I bought the j74ISO mapping in the end but i'm using the FREE launchpad95

You got a bit of free advertising for your mapping though :) and I did include a few links

To be honest i felt a bit bad high-jacking the Lauchpad95 post with J74 ISO

J74 ISO is ok, but I really like the features on the Lauchpad95 better
Launchpad95 features like:
  • Visual feedaback from the python script (buttons light when you press them)
  • scale selection is easy not just up down.
  • its easy to see which scale, octave, transposition I'm in (touch of one button)
  • octave up down button
  • undo button
  • Flip the layout 90 degrees for easier chord playing
  • its free too
Both are good for musicality, maybe the J74 ISO will mature into something more developed.

Also Maybe people can discuss the J74 ISO on another post out of respect for mots great work Launchpad95
8) 8)

Anyway I hope you don't mind me whipping a picture form the manual, I can edit the post if it copyright or something.
Last edited by f.poce@tiscali.nl on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:32 am, edited 19 times in total.

RD444

Post by RD444 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:31 pm

f.poce@tiscali.nl wrote:
Yeah man super cool, sorry for calling you "naughty" its just a joke about musicians making money. Apologies my bad. :oops:
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"

RD444

Post by RD444 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:34 pm

so @mots

launchpad95 missing feature = donate button :) :)

f.poce@tiscali.nl

Post by f.poce@tiscali.nl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:41 pm

It's ok.
RD444 wrote:
Yeah man super cool, sorry for calling you "naughty" its just a joke about musicians making money. Apologies my bad. :oops:

JustJonas

Post by JustJonas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:49 pm

Hey all,

first of all a HUGE thank you for the launchpad95 script! I purchased a launchpad mini today just because I discovered your script!

I'm experiencing a little trouble though. For what I understand there should be two different sequencer modes, namely the combined mode and the multinote mode. However when I hit the user mode 2 button it will either turn green and enter the push style combined mode or turn orange and Live no longer responds to the push of any button.

Is this a known issue or am I just to stupid? Any help is highly appreciated!

Best regards
Jonas

JustJonas

Post by JustJonas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 pm

JustJonas wrote:Hey all,

first of all a HUGE thank you for the launchpad95 script! I purchased a launchpad mini today just because I discovered your script!

I'm experiencing a little trouble though. For what I understand there should be two different sequencer modes, namely the combined mode and the multinote mode. However when I hit the user mode 2 button it will either turn green and enter the push style combined mode or turn orange and Live no longer responds to the push of any button.

Is this a known issue or am I just to stupid? Any help is highly appreciated!

Best regards
Jonas
Apparently I am too stupid... I simply overlooked this crucial information:

"StepSeq by default works in combined mode. pressing the scene 2 button toggles between combined mode and multi note mode."

mots

Post by mots » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi all,

i updated the beta and cleaned a few things here and there. i also simplified the way you can switch between diatonic 3rd and 4th to make it easier. now by default 3rd is vertical, while other modes are horizontal.

http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... -beta2.zip

changes :
add: diatonic 3rd and sequent and guitar chromatic modes.
fix: implicit arm.
change: updated documentation

feedback welcome !

Newjack

Post by Newjack » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:59 am

I've recently purchased a Novation Lauchpad S and have downloaded Launchpad 95. I absolutely love it. In user mode one I'm able to drop in a drum rack and play it on the bottom left corner of the Lauchpad. I've also created a drum template that I use to chop samples which also plays on the bottom left corner of the Launchpad. Any samples larger than sixteen just extends on the next row up and next four columns across and repeats the process. I would like to know is there any way I can chop a sample so that it is on the bottom right of the Launchpad. I would like to have a drum pad open on the left and my samples also open on the right at the same time. Any response is appreciated. Thanks.

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:26 pm

anyone else finding the script doesn't work at all with the new beta?

Heliosonic

Post by Heliosonic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Yep, having lots of issues with it since going to 9.1 and the newest update of Lpad95. Instrument mode outputs on channels 12, 13 & 14 instead of only 12 as it used to. LED feedback has now to be on channel 1 for drum rack (user 1, 3rd press) instead of 5 as it used to, which causes problems with other modes & devices. LEDs are also wonky on the step sequencer as well.

Kind of wish I had held off on the updates as this is now seriously impacting inspiration & workflow...
dave dominey wrote:anyone else finding the script doesn't work at all with the new beta?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Yeah normal Launchpad script works fine but L95 is dead, no lights or anything.
ImageImage

mots

Post by mots » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:35 pm

about the beta not working, i cannot plan in advance what API changes the ableton guys will do ! ;)
to get L95 to work with the last beta in MainSelectorComponent.py line 381

remove this line
<tab><tab>self._session.set_stop_track_clip_value(AMBER_BLINK)
and replace it with these two :
<tab><tab>self._session.set_stop_clip_value(AMBER_THIRD)
<tab><tab>self._session.set_stop_clip_triggered_value(AMBER_BLINK)

(make sure to insert tabs and not spaces as this matter in python.)

@ Heliosonic

i tested the plain user mode 1 (the mode when user mode1 button is red) and led feedback works okay if i assign a midi mapping to say a track arm button.

about the instrument mode channels, yes you are right. it is linked to the fix to allow correct led feedback in instrument mode. but after some tests, it seems live rewrite midi note channels to 1 as it reaches a track input. (but the channel is kept if you use the midi mappings)

also note that the midi channels of each page can be changed in MainSelectorComponent.py from line 155 to line 175.
Last edited by mots on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.