BT’s Breaktweaker vs Twisted Tools’ Ultraloop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: BT's BreakTweaker plugin

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:02 pm

yeah yeah... but could you post a link to the magical crossfader please.

thanks.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:09 pm

:x

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:11 pm

well from the audio demos all I can hear so far is really egregious usage of the same me-too effect of making short segments of audio suddenly go all stretchy for a second. which, you know, beat repeat can do quite nicely.

obviously they are suggesting a lot more functionality but so far all I've heard is excessive farting noises in place of precision beats.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:20 pm

Why are all BT's plug ins so god damned expensive? Doesn't this motherfucker have enough $$$ ?

I bought stutter edit a few years back at the "intro" price of $120.

If the "intro" price of this is $250.00 I hate to see what the actual price is. Jesus Christ. Does this dude think he's curing cancer or what? It's a fucking VST plug-in, can you sell to me at a price that doesn't involve me selling an organ. C'mon BT. Really?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:26 pm

Theo Void wrote:Why are all BT's plug ins so god damned expensive? Doesn't this motherfucker have enough $$$ ?

I bought stutter edit a few years back at the "intro" price of $120.

If the "intro" price of this is $250.00 I hate to see what the actual price is. Jesus Christ. Does this dude think he's curing cancer or what? It's a fucking VST plug-in, can you sell to me at a price that doesn't involve me selling an organ. C'mon BT. Really?

:lol:

How did/do you get along with Stutter Edit?

And I agree the demo video wasn't all that impressive but there are some deeper thinkers on here than me that might have some :!: moments when thinking about the possibilities...on the molecular level. :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:07 am

Pretty sure there's a correlation between the price and his hair stylist.
ImageImage

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:54 am

Ya. I guess he has to maintain that hair-do somehow. Must be expensive!!!

I like Stutter Edit a lot!! One of my favorite plugs. That said it takes some time/work to get it doing what you want it to do. I've built quite a few gestures of my own and use them (and variations of them in a lot of my productions.) I use it w/ a Launchpad so I basically have a 64 button grid of custom effect sequences just waiting to be played and recorded. It really is a lot of fun.

I don't use it live though. I have an entirely different set-up for playing live that does NOT involve stutter edit. It would work well w/ the Launchpad set-up I use at home but I have never played out with it.

Anyway, I'm sure BreakTweaker is deep and amazing and capable of insane things but at that price, I'll never buy it.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:25 am

mholloway wrote:well from the audio demos all I can hear so far is really egregious usage of the same me-too effect of making short segments of audio suddenly go all stretchy for a second. which, you know, beat repeat can do quite nicely.

obviously they are suggesting a lot more functionality but so far all I've heard is excessive farting noises in place of precision beats.
My thoughts exactly. Farting noises. Just like Richard Devine does regardless of the tools he uses. No disrespect to any of them, i just get sick and tired of hearing the same crap over and over.
Feature suggestion: Allow for those farts to be tuned to the cosmic frequency of 432 Hz AT ALL TIMES so we can feel more in tune with God instead of the Devil that is 440 Hz and all this other good stuff………….

Plus the Izotope stuff is WAY TOO OVERPRICED for what is offered. Ozone Advanced anyone? I mean c'mon man….

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Seems most here have come to the same conclusion most did over at kvr. It has some nice bits here n there, I liked the small synths and how easy it was to come up with some interesting stuff there, but the actual 'microedit' stuff isnt really that versatile. I seem to come up with the same 4 same-ish sounding effects each time, not to say they are the same, but they sound similar to each other. It just gives it a feel of, 'theres not many places to go with this'. The actual arrangement/sequence part doesnt really bring anything new either that can redeem it

I think many agreed if it was closer to 99$ then maybe, but at this price, no way. I actually got into stutteredit when it was released, but then I just started to have sort of the same feeling of it not going many places and as little stuttering as I wanted to do I could accomplish it with a more all-arounder like turnado or effectrix. Thats not to say I thought stutteredit was not good, I think it was way more versatile than breaktweaker and if you got into it could come up with some nifty stuff later, I just couldnt see myself using it that often. Breaktweaker on the other hand just feels limited and rushed to me, I mean the first thing that popped out was constant scrolling. Really? You can only see 1.5 bars at a time and always have to scroll? That just feels unfinished to me

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Well. I've been a bt fan for many years now. And due to that. The whole stutters madness phase has come and gone for me. I mean, it still IS kind of cool, no doubt.

On stutteredit, I tried the demo. Really really neat implementation. I especially liked using the mod wheel to control the progression between A and B :P. That, combined with some really wild presets can lead to sooo much fun.

On breaktweaker, I think it portrays the ability to create aggressive complexities, but there is probably plenty more under the hood. Especially as said, the synthesis engines (I wonder if they can be played as individual midi keyboard channels???). The polyrhythmic potential looks really pleasant. I think you'd get better results with this product by intentionally trying to make UNDERWHELMING material. Instead of crazy shit.

Also of interest is that loop blending software?? Is that from native instruments? You can mix and match different loops all within the software and it has some pretty powerful transformation tools.

The big turnout with the two latter products is kind of a pre-canned accessibility to sounds. For quick gratification :P. Which leads to quick boredom :P :P

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:03 pm

So I watched about 30 minutes of tutorials on it and wasn’t all that impressed.

The step sequencer is set to 2 bars. That’s the maximum, not sure if you can set it to one.

Patterns are triggered by playing and holding keys on the keyboard (C2 is one pattern, C#2 another, etc.) and as far as I can tell you can’t drag the patterns into the DAW for editing.

When triggering patterns in the plugin and you switch mid bar it will keep the timing and switch the pattern in the middle of the bar which is cool BUT there’s isn’t any way to do that in your DAW. It waits until the next full bar hits. So no juggling or mixing things up. Lame.

There’s UI inconsistencies like in some windows when you go to open something there is an open button in other windows you have to click or double click something for it to open. Something completely unexplainable is you go to open a preset and there’s a save button which saves it as a new preset before you’ve even loaded it.

It seems like it’s best for stretching, gating, and other “molecular” level editing for a long sample, but how often do you really need to do that? And since you can’t edit the data in your DAW you are stuck with that tweaked sample at least every 2 bars, unless you create a different pattern that doesn’t have it.

I think this thing would be better served if they didn’t include the step sequencer and just made it a one shot sample manipulator you can drop anywhere in your song. It seems like BT just based this on his experience of how he’s been manually doing things for years and really didn’t look that much into how the best current step sequencers work. It makes things easier for how he works and sees things.

Anyhow, not worth it from what I saw.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Yeah, when I saw the Namm video the speaker was saying how it makes it so much easier than doing it by hand which would 'take forever' which is hardly.
Slicing up your audio into smaller divisions isn't rocket science and has become less tedious the more DAWs workflows have evolved.
Besides, getting all golden ratio on dat ass has been exploited enough that it's practically another obligatory technique in any glitch toolbox, so it seems 'too little, too late' imo.

Still, on the business side of things there will always be a set of people who, for a few different reasons, will pay for this and really, would you feel guilty for making money off it from those people? Either they're A. Inexperienced, B. Lazy C. Just want to get shit done as quickly as possible.
It's overkill imo, and hardly takes that much work or skill to do by hand, but hey, if some schmuck's gonna pay that much, I'd gladly take their money.
ImageImage

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Not sure how it's fraud, but there are 2 simple ways to figure out how to do it by hand.

A. Figure it out on your own
B. Look up glitch tuts on YT

IMO A is the simpler and quicker method.

Is a plumber a fraud for charging 200 to take a plunger to a toilet to unclog it? Isn't that his business? Imo a person with average intelligence and physical capability who can not come up with the idea of using the plunger to unclog the toilet themselves is more offensive. Strange analogy.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 pm

shadx312 wrote:Still, on the business side of things there will always be a set of people who, for a few different reasons, will pay for this and really, would you feel guilty for making money off it from those people? Either they're A. Inexperienced, B. Lazy C. Just want to get shit done as quickly as possible.
It's overkill imo, and hardly takes that much work or skill to do by hand, but hey, if some schmuck's gonna pay that much, I'd gladly take their money.

Yeah, but you’d think with BT slapping his name on something or him being the brain trust behind it he’d insist on a certain quality or functionality. I have no clue what izotope’s history is on updates, whether it’s just bug fixes, or also improvements.

The guy who made the tutorials I watched was obviously a fanboy because despite him pointing out the inconsistencies and issues he’d close almost every video with something like “This thing is amazing!” even though there was nothing amazing shown in the video. I’m surprised he didn’t pull an Apple and go “It’s not a bug. It’s a feature!”