virus ti delayed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fastfx

virus ti delayed

Post by fastfx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:32 pm

hi, had everything working perfectly, then today for some reason my Virus seems to strange -

i record in a clip, it sounds fine, like I'm bang on time - but its recording the notes about an 8th late.

any ideas how to remedy this? i tried recording a soft synth and that records perfect.

thanks for any help and advice!

fastfx

Re: virus ti delayed

Post by fastfx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:25 pm

this is about how much late it is recording -

but as i say, when i play it as i'm recording it, it sounds fine.

any ideas or help would be great, thanks

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Hit the "Live" button in the TI plug window. Turns on delay compensation for the Virus.

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Ahhhh really? Ok I'll try that tomorrow! Hope that works. I've never seen that button before.

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Just to note, it's not like I have latency problems. It's more a recording delay problem. Will clicking that 'live' button in virus control solve that?

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:13 am

tomf wrote:Just to note, it's not like I have latency problems. It's more a recording delay problem. Will clicking that 'live' button in virus control solve that?
It is actually a latency problem, but specifically with the TI plug and how it processes incoming MIDI data (as far as I understand it). Clicking the "live" button will solve the recording delay issue. The drawback is that you won't get sample-accurate recording.

If you need sample-accurate recording, just scoot the audio around after you bounce it. Personally, I've never had a need for sample-accuracy since I use the hardware outputs, but whatever.

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 am

Ah ok thanks. Will give it a go later!

rabota

Post by rabota » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:20 am

Have you got a MIDI delay set up in preferences?

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:56 pm

i haven't got a midi delay set up in the prefs, is that the driver error compensation? i tried various numbers with that and it didn't make any difference.

I have just tried using the 'live' button on the Virus synth, now it records midi notes early lol!! It's a bit better this way i guess.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 am

tomf wrote:i haven't got a midi delay set up in the prefs, is that the driver error compensation? i tried various numbers with that and it didn't make any difference.

I have just tried using the 'live' button on the Virus synth, now it records midi notes early lol!! It's a bit better this way i guess.
Now adjust Live's delay compensation. ;)

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:16 am

I'll give that a go! Thanks

My more important issue is my other thread with the latency of maschine now

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi,

I would be interested in feedback from Virus / Live users for the 2 following solutions to avoid latency when recording the virus:

Solution 1.
- Generate an options.txt file. Info on how this is done can be found here: https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/opt ... file-live/
- One way to workaround this problem is to enable the option "-NoMidiMonitorLatencyCompensation" in the Options.txt file. This will record notes exactly where you play them.

Solution 2
- Use this option when you wish to avoid adding options.txt.
- The workaround would be to use two MIDI tracks: one for monitoring and another one for recording.
- Track A contains the plugin and serves as realtime input monitoring track (the track's "Monitor" switch is set to "IN" or "AUTO", and track B is used to record the MIDI input ("Monitor" switch is set to "OFF"). The output routing chooser of track B is set up to forward the recorded notes into track A.
The group track is optional.

Please drop me a mail with your findings to what extent this is useful/helpful at mal@ableton.com

Best,
Mads

tsproduction

Post by tsproduction » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:42 am

Mal, you are a lifesaver. Been fighting with this for YEARS. It's 10X better now (not perfect, but close).

tsproduction

Post by tsproduction » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:43 am

To further explain, it seems to be dead on the first first couple of bars, then it slowly drifts off. Regardless, it's VERY usable now as midi is rarely perfect, so I'll take it!