does anyone use their hardware keyboards.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:59 pm

darcyb wrote:Thanks Pilgrim! I would LOVE to be able to see what MIDI messages are being sent/received. It was one of my favorite features of an old Amiga sequencer called Bars & Pipes. Maybe MIDIOX will fill the gap!

I'm also tempted to export the clip as a midi clip, load it in Logic and poke around in there too.
BTW, among MIDIOX’s many screens is a bank/patch generating device that will work as is or can be loaded with Cakewalk ini files. Great for experimenting as well as actual live use.

The <filter> section will block items to the MIDIOX screen and/or to the output as well, very useful.
MIDIOX can capture sysex and save as files and even capture MIDI to be converted to .mid files <separate program mentioned on the MIDIOX site> <I think I remember that
?>

Wonder if Sebastian is still reading these messages. He is a really great fellow who comes across as a bit thick headed at times but most do not realize that he speaks and thinks in Spanish <daily at work and home, in Atlanta>.
I have known him for years and he is perhaps a terrific musician and really likes Roland sounds and is now using LIVE. Haven’t seen him on here lately, hope all is well!

Pilgrim

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:28 pm

i used to use bank/patch numbers in ableton till i found this software though it only works on roland kit...

so all i have to set up is the midi channel to and from in ableton to correspond with this software and then choose my ptahces and settings inside this software aswell as efx, to change the roland kit... can save all the settings and as i use all the effects on my synth, the cpu on my laptop is always nearly nil... The thing i love about it is the bank/patch names - when i was using ablton it was just a string of numbers,.,.

create all my patches in this screen

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:55 pm

jeskola, you tease...where can others get that software? ;)

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:07 pm

it was here
http://www.roland.co.uk/appedit.asp

but not anymore :?

tell you what though ill see if i can copy it and post it - ideal for you - stick it on performance mode, set up 16 midi channels in ableton and each one will play a differnet patch on the roland. so drums, synths the works... ableton file is around 20k, the roland file is around 100k. if you use the mfx settings in the ditor all your efx are onboard the roland - so cpu is at 4 or 5%... all works a dream!!

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:21 pm

Beautiful. This is all very encouraging. If you don't get to host the files anywhere, you're welcome to email it to me at sillyrolandproblem@mac.com

Thanks!

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:25 pm

darcyb wrote:Beautiful. This is all very encouraging. If you don't get to host the files anywhere, you're welcome to email it to me at sillyrolandproblem@mac.com

Thanks!
no bothers will have a look tonight - in fact...
i have my powerbook here just now -
2 secs,...

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:31 pm

3phase

Re: does anyone use their hardware keyboards.....

Post by 3phase » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:04 pm

Sebastian wrote:and its sounds /tone generators to record MIDI?

IF so, can you pls advise hot to deal with patch selection and how Live handles remembering patches on next session etc

This has been a challege in Live
The best is to use syntheziser that can perform sys ex patchdumps...but..
Is Live able to record sysex data?

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:00 pm

I am having certain problems fully integrating my hardware into live because it doesnt support all the different midi formats yet eg sysex nrpn
Can you check in the feature wishlist under "Full NRPN Support"
Hopefully they can put these things into live so it can be used with more hardware easier.
:)

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:49 am

jeskola wrote:here you go...

http://d27.yousendit.com/D/16FRRLV838SF ... Roland.zip

mac only
I regret that the link doesn't work for me. I click on it and the host site gives the error, "File Transfer: Incorrect link".

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:05 pm

kineticUk wrote:I am having certain problems fully integrating my hardware into live because it doesnt support all the different midi formats yet eg sysex nrpn
Can you check in the feature wishlist under "Full NRPN Support"
Hopefully they can put these things into live so it can be used with more hardware easier.
:)
MIDI Enhancement Issues

I suppose this is as good a time as any to bring this up. . .

As long as the word “LIVE” and all its meanings (like “real time”) are used especially in the name of this software, there will be code/processing concessions made to the inherent serial nature of MIDI setup stutter.

For those of you who might not be aware, flinging sysex at any MIDI channel requires TIME to process.
. . .and often more than one beat at 120BPM.

Ya wanna cause broken legs or smashed toes on the dance floor, just throw in a beat stutter that cannot possibly be expected.

You may hear the words, “Tar and Feather the DJ” or see signs of its intent.

Ableton has been very careful and gracious in providing very timing and CPU (often not related) overhead minimal instrument plug-ins for LIVE.
Notice that I indicated that MIDI/beat timing/stutter can happen even at low CPU loads. It’s part of the MIDI heritage and broad compatibility range.

This music can be extremely taxing on MIDI channel data capacity while it is very demanding on beat consistency.
Changing MIDI Channel setups on any one channel CAN cause delays or setup misses randomly and will make you hate the instrument, hardware or software.
Most of us are not aware of the technical limitations of MIDI across the board (and I personally don’t really want to be educated).
So, be prepared to fully trust Ableton to only provide MIDI capabilities which can be implemented LIVE.
AND KEEP THE BEAT UNDER CONTROL.

Work-withs (or “work-arounds”) have been developed for years. Ever wonder why, when the spec and most tone generators/keyboard ports can only handle 16 channels/instruments/parts, that most MIDI software files can contain from 100 to unlimited MIDI “TRACKS”?

Even loading several sampler instrument pluggins all pre-setup will drag a CPU and/or MIDI timing to its feet when you least expect it.

This aspect of hardware/software power will always be a factor since we, the user, will always want to load-em-up, for some obscure but possibly very innovative cause (OUR SOUND!)

Beg for what you want but trust Ableton to keep it Live !

Pilgrim