iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Theo Void

Re: iPad

Post by Theo Void » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:01 am

This is a beast of a thread. But on the original topic. I absolutely love my ipad. I have a mini retina and the amount and quality of apps is amazing! The limitations are really inspiring to me. I do wish there was access to the file system so u could use a general sample folder but there are workarounds.

After researching controllers for awhile I finally settled on the qunexus. I absolutely love it. It's great for the ipad and I even use it for Live.

I'm really enjoying korg gadget also.

Movies ,,,.... I don't do movies on the ipad but I do watch movies on my MBP with a 22 inch monitor.

Anyway. Go ipad. It's really addicting.like electronic crack

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:50 am

Qunexus rocks!

I got a new TV yesterday too, so now that wins as best display in the house.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:45 am

Just thought I'd casually drop this in...

http://www.apple.com/30-years/1-24-14-film/

Ableton Live and a certain iPad controller get their 1.5 seconds of fame... :wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Theo Void wrote:I'm really enjoying korg gadget also.

Despite my issues with other iPad DAW apps I decided to go for Gadget inspired by our esteemed colleague Tarekith and his all iPad tracks.

A couple issues off the top of my head.

1. I couldn’t get good automation draw resolution even though the demo video showed it. I was getting bars an eighth note across at best.

2. Velocity automation, WTF? If you have notes at the same point there’s no way of knowing which one you are selection and adjusting. You just have to grab and listen while you adjust it.

3. I know how to make patterns and scenes. No clue how to make that into a song and edit that.

4. Removing automation is crap. You have to hold down a box on the screen as the part plays. Annoying if you want to remove all of it for a parameter, which happens frequently if you forget to deactivate record after you recorded a loop and you just want to dial in the overall sound better.

5. Not just Gadget, but nothing displays iOS 7’s piss poor graphic UI more than when you go to the file (I think) menu and you are slapped in the eye balls with the blue text on stark white background. Not that iOS 6 and before was much better, but it looks like the developers just said fuck it and couldn’t care less about GUI consistency.

That’s all I can think of for now but it has promise.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:56 pm

8O wrote:Just thought I'd casually drop this in...

http://www.apple.com/30-years/1-24-14-film/

Ableton Live and a certain iPad controller get their 1.5 seconds of fame... :wink:
:D nice.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:00 pm

1. I couldn’t get good automation draw resolution even though the demo video showed it. I was getting bars an eighth note across at best.

>>> Turn off quantize, then go read the manual. <<<

2. Velocity automation, WTF? If you have notes at the same point there’s no way of knowing which one you are selection and adjusting. You just have to grab and listen while you adjust it.

>>> Select the note you want to adjust, then little buttons pop up for change velocity for that note, or which ever are selected. Then go read the manual. <<<

3. I know how to make patterns and scenes. No clue how to make that into a song and edit that.

>>> Turn off looping, then the scenes will play one after the other. <<<

4. Removing automation is crap. You have to hold down a box on the screen as the part plays. Annoying if you want to remove all of it for a parameter, which happens frequently if you forget to deactivate record after you recorded a loop and you just want to dial in the overall sound better.

>>> No, just open the automation view and left swipe on the parameter name to delete it. Then go read the manual. <<<

5. Not just Gadget, but nothing displays iOS 7’s piss poor graphic UI more than when you go to the file (I think) menu and you are slapped in the eye balls with the blue text on stark white background. Not that iOS 6 and before was much better, but it looks like the developers just said fuck it and couldn’t care less about GUI consistency.

>>> The manual has black text on a white background, you might like it more! <<<

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:03 pm

8O oh schnap!

:lol: you got RTFM'd beats!

but i do want to say one word about part of Tarekith's post:
Tarekith wrote:>>> Turn off looping, then the scenes will play one after the other. Then go read the fucking manual <<<
fixed.

:x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:07 pm

:lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:32 pm

I skimmed the fucking manual when I got hung up. It’s not like it’s a book you want to curl up with on a cold winter’s night. Unless you live in Seattle apparently. :x

So based on the above you can’t make a song arrangement and edit it within that? To make a song you turn loop off and it consecutively plays scenes and that’s it? If you want a scene to play more than once you have to duplicate it as many times as you want it to play?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:49 pm

You can set certain scenes to loop if you want, it's in the length screen when you press function.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:52 pm

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Alright, alright with your manual references. Since you're a seasoned iOS producer, do you like the way it does things?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:38 pm

For the most part I'm pretty impressed with it so far. It's a nice streamlined way to get some really nice sounding ideas down. The gadgets aren't crazy complex, but give you just enough variety and tweak ability to craft your own sounds.

There's some annoyances though for me, no undo, no cloud support of projects, zooming patterns can be a little fiddly.

Overall though I think it sounds great, almost got my first gadget only tune done.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:00 pm

Tarekith wrote:For the most part I'm pretty impressed with it so far. It's a nice streamlined way to get some really nice sounding ideas down. The gadgets aren't crazy complex, but give you just enough variety and tweak ability to craft your own sounds.

There's some annoyances though for me, no undo, no cloud support of projects, zooming patterns can be a little fiddly.

Overall though I think it sounds great, almost got my first gadget only tune done.

Oh yeah, I could never get any of the supposed pinch shit to work BUT I know....RTFM. :x

Can't wait to hear your track. :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 pm

Samsung is sponsoring the Olympics and apparently all participants are banned from displaying or mentioning any competitor products, going as far as they have to cover up the logos on competitor products. FFS. :x