BEST WAY TO GET VOCALS OUT OF A FILM???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hybrid_90

BEST WAY TO GET VOCALS OUT OF A FILM???

Post by Hybrid_90 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:20 pm

I would like to do a few tracks using lines (audio) from films.......... What is the best way to "extract these" and import them into Ableton/Cubase? Thanks in advance peeps! :mrgreen:

Samuel L. Jizzle

Re: BEST WAY TO GET VOCALS OUT OF A FILM???

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:46 pm

No.

Hybrid_90

Post by Hybrid_90 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Samuel L. Jizzle wrote:No.
Huh? 8O

dcease

Post by dcease » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 am

SAMPLING IS BAD, M'KAY! YOU SHOULDN'T SAMPLE, THE FIB WILL BUST YOU! DID YOU NOT READ THE WARNING AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MOVIE? YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR OR A HANDBAG... WOULD YOU?!?

if you plan to use your computer media player send the output of the movie to the input either through software or hardware, and record it in live/cubase, just make sure you aren't monitoring through live/cubase. if your interface has virtual channels (i.e. RME's total mix) and you can choose your output on your media player then route it to a channel and select that channel in live/cubase. otherwise, route some outputs on your interface to the inputs but again, make sure you don't monitor that signal. if your interface only has one set of outputs and no headphone jack... well that'll make it trickier, just note the time and record it that way.

or hook your dvd/bluray up to your interface using the appropriate audio cables and watch it on a separate screen...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:31 am

^^^ Something like he said...

If the source is 5.1 then you can look into extracting JUST the centre channel audio which commonly has only voice. This will be a simple way to ensure the background music is not in the mix with vocals. There is various software around that can extract just the audio tracks.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:43 am

jestermgee wrote:There is various software around that can extract just the audio tracks.
Yup, I use Audio Hijack for Mac, there's tons of programs like this around, and even the commercial ones have demos with 5 min clip ripping limitations, which are usually enough since you'll just be chopping little bits out.

Hybrid_90

Post by Hybrid_90 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:52 am

Awesome thanks a lot guys. Yeah maybe I should have clarified. What I meant was, not audio, more dialogue. It won't be for ££££ just private use (as they all say) but I just wanted to see if it was possible at home. Really helpful thanks!!! :D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Hybrid_90 wrote:What I meant was, not audio, more dialogue.
Then a pen is what you need.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:56 pm

^ :lol:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:07 pm

jestermgee wrote:^^^ Something like he said...

If the source is 5.1 then you can look into extracting JUST the centre channel audio which commonly has only voice. This will be a simple way to ensure the background music is not in the mix with vocals. There is various software around that can extract just the audio tracks.
The vocals are usually mixed in the centre channel - but it is rarely the only thing in there. There will be plenty of other ambient sounds in there, including stuff that is also on the right and left channel. So getting completely clean dialogue is a pain. Vespers has a tutorial somewhere on how to use EQ to clean up 'acapellas'

keamo

Post by keamo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:05 pm

Hybrid_90 wrote:I would like to do a few tracks using lines (audio) from films.......... What is the best way to "extract these" and import them into Ableton/Cubase? Thanks in advance peeps! :mrgreen:
Audacity records with ease on a windows box. You can even change the quality of the input you're recording. I do this for long mixes when I'm having trouble going from one BPM to another, or if I'm trying to change the mood of a set. Make sure you get funky on the FX so that it's unique!

KEAMO
http://www.soundcloud.com/keamo
AbletonW/PUSH
Macbookproi7-8gig
MotuUltraliteMk3Hybrid
MoogLittlePhatty
KorgMS2000
KorgMicro
TriggerFinger
JazzmutantLemur
OxygenM-Audio49

Hybrid_90

Post by Hybrid_90 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks guys, all sorted now! Sorry for the late response too.