How long does saving a set take for you?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tkarmakid

How long does saving a set take for you?

Post by tkarmakid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:33 am

For me, probably close to 5 minutes. I haven't actually timed it and I am not going to, but it takes a long time. It also hijacks my computer so I cant even do anything else during this time. I would like to see this improved.

eyeknow

Re: How long does saving a set take for you?

Post by eyeknow » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:57 am

Saving a set takes five minutes? Live saves stuff almost instantly even on my older computer.

Now, opening a saved set :lol: THAT, is an adventure depending.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:15 am

What version Live?
What computer?
Has this always been a problem?
Does it depend on the size of the set?
Does it happen e.g. With a set of just four clips? How big are you sets, normally?

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:42 am

tkarmakid wrote:For me, probably close to 5 minutes. I haven't actually timed it and I am not going to, but it takes a long time. It also hijacks my computer so I cant even do anything else during this time. I would like to see this improved.

Yeah, Ive done some quick non scientific tests and my results show that for a decent size set/song, Live 9 takes around 1/3 longer than Live 8. Thats pretty crazy. Sometimes for me sets take up to 3 minutes to save. Def a workflow killer. Ive posted about this before. No one seems to care. Honestly, I'm curious if people on this forum are doing actual work with Live.
Its not just limited to saving though, deleting stuff takes way longer,
however, 'time' commands are alot quicker in L9- which is odd

Live 9 is a dog...thats basically it

Here is the topic i made about Live 9 taking forever....add your voice.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=201140&p=1581134#p1581134

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Live 9 is the slowest DAW on the planet, no doubt! Since Live 1.0 this is a fact! Ableton just dont have any good programmers, and thats a fact too! Check LogicX and start thinking Ableton! I dont support Ableton anymore because of thoose facts! Its really a joke! Wasting so much time on that crap company, the idea and concept is a good idea, but Ableton is just the wrong team to make it work like it should, and thats a FACT!

A couple of facts about Live!

- Take ages to load projects/Racks if you use it like it was mentioned too? Big Joke!

- Bugs, Bugs, Bugs since Live 1.0?

- Tons of features aint realized even after 8 years!?

- Poor arrangement view since version 1.0? Take ages to work fast like LGX or other modern DAWS!?

- Overpriced, you pay for beta testing and holidays for the office in Berlin!

- User wishes or complaints are ignored if you are not "Hawtin"! Fact!

- Compared to LogicX Live is a joke on the ressourses!

- You will spent more time hanging on this forum than making music like it should be!

- Try to save a preset to the browser! Doesent make a difference which plugin, it takes ages, and then Live throws a "failure message" saying that the files aint availble for saving??? What a joke! Fuck You Ableton!

- And, And, And, just make a search! And you will notice the truth about Live and Ableton!

:evil:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Saves instant for me... maybe upgrade your computer if it's that much of a problem

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies. :D
@Finn - Its a 10 month old Samsung laptop with an i7. And yes, I am working with a fairly large master set, but I do feel that even with a smaller set it still takes a while.
@Hatsis, thank you for the confirmation. It may or may not be five minutes, but it feels like forever.
@xzusa - I wont go to logic or any other daw because they do not do what Live does. I just want it to be more efficient
@infernal.machine - you must have a really good computer. I've been with Live since 7 and it was never instant, not like excel or word anyway, saving in those is instant. Reason saves fast too.
Anyhow, this is more than anything what I wish could be addressed in a future update, lots of people work with large sets and you should be able to. I would like to see things run more smoothly. They already have an amazing product, it doesn't need more bells and whistles. Stability and efficiency. I cant be alone in this.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:52 pm

What is 'fairly large'? And maybe you could time it. Subjective 'too long' is not a really clear indication of a problem. Maybe it's not five minutes, but 90 seconds would still be very long...

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:03 pm

tkarmakid wrote:Thanks to everyone for the replies. :D
@Finn - Its a 10 month old Samsung laptop with an i7. And yes, I am working with a fairly large master set, but I do feel that even with a smaller set it still takes a while.
@Hatsis, thank you for the confirmation. It may or may not be five minutes, but it feels like forever.
@xzusa - I wont go to logic or any other daw because they do not do what Live does. I just want it to be more efficient
@infernal.machine - you must have a really good computer. I've been with Live since 7 and it was never instant, not like excel or word anyway, saving in those is instant. Reason saves fast too.
Anyhow, this is more than anything what I wish could be addressed in a future update, lots of people work with large sets and you should be able to. I would like to see things run more smoothly. They already have an amazing product, it doesn't need more bells and whistles. Stability and efficiency. I cant be alone in this.

lol..upgrading computer, thats not the point. again, 1/3 longer than Live 8 on the same machine...w many different sets. not a good precedent...

Im not tryin to be all anti ableton, Its the best program in the world...Live 9 is just not up to snuff w previous versions and we gotta let em know we are aware and we aint cool w it....seems like angstrom and I are the only people that see this

Mike

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:35 am

I'm sure it would be too much of a hassle, but I wonder if there is a way to exchange files so that people can test things on different computers. Since infernal and I seem to have insta saves.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:37 am

@8/vs/9:

I don't have 8 on this computer so it would be a pain to go to the old one (which doesn't have the soundcard and all setup) but I could swear that many a project/template was virtually the same time. (if compatible)

bakku

Post by bakku » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:38 pm

Ableton Index makes everything slow, start up, saving, closing.. :evil:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190475

Never had problem with 8.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:11 pm

eyeknow wrote:@8/vs/9:

I don't have 8 on this computer so it would be a pain to go to the old one (which doesn't have the soundcard and all setup) but I could swear that many a project/template was virtually the same time. (if compatible)
thats great...but it is def alot longer in Live 9. Obviously the larger the set, the longer it will take and the bigger the difference is. If you have a set w a few loops in the session view, you prob wont notice anything

Mike

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:15 pm

bakku wrote:Ableton Index makes everything slow, start up, saving, closing.. :evil:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190475

Never had problem with 8.

Pretty long thread there, i tried to skim through a bit and didn't find anything to do with save times.
However, I don't see how indexing would have much to do with this issue. Im pretty sure indexing is a separate process all together.

Mike

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Ok, Finn, I timed how long it takes to save. After a disk clean up, virus scan and defragging the drive, I got 2:40. The set is 53.3 Megabytes. I did only a couple small changes to the set, then saved.
When I first posted this, I saved a set that took probably ten mins, then after saving my computer crashed. I think what may have thrown it over the edge was that my computer had been on for a long time without shutting down or restarting and live was open the whole time too. Also I had done some stuff that was filling up the memory cache. I had imported some tracks from another set and I didn't save between each one because I knew it would take a long time.
@Eyeknow - I see in your sig that you have 16Gb of ram, I only have 8. Maybe I should add more. Its nice to see that your running windows too though.
Still, I think 2:40 isn't exactly fast. It feels like forever when I'm trying to be productive.