How do you get Ableton Support to actually help?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CF3

How do you get Ableton Support to actually help?

Post by CF3 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:35 pm

I've been having a problem that whenever I try to switch the sample rate (44.1 to 48kHz) Live crashes. Which by the way it just randomly changes on it's own. I have sent MANY crash reports and asked for help thru the regular channels with no reply??? Who do I have to bribe to get an answer around here? :| I've searched hi and low to solve it myself (as I usually do) with no success. S.O.S.

dubxile

Re: How do you get Ableton Support to actually help?

Post by dubxile » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Try changing setting using audio card control rather than live.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:51 pm

dubxile wrote:Try changing setting using audio card control rather than live.
+1

your audio interface should have some sort of control panel application to make the change from. if you change it there and the issue persists you should post what kind of audio interface and what operating system you are using

CF3

Post by CF3 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:55 pm

See thats the problem I NEVER changed it in the first place and it's already set to sample rate I want it at. For some reason Live just changes it and won't let me change it back. I've tested it out on other app to confirm that it's Ableton....I am not a noob at either Ableton or audio production. Nor is this my first time at the rodeo. I just simply want Ableton to acknowledge that there IS a problem....... *crickets*.
Been months since I first contacted them with this and still nothing.

Post by 102455 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:08 pm

I'm confused. You said in your first post that you've been trying to change it, but now you say you've never changed it.

Also.....if it's set to the rate you want it at, why are you messing with it?

If I'm missing something here, please provide a more detailed explanation. :-)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:40 am

CF3 wrote:I've been having a problem that whenever I try to switch the sample rate (44.1 to 48kHz) Live crashes. Which by the way it just randomly changes on it's own. I have sent MANY crash reports and asked for help thru the regular channels with no reply??? Who do I have to bribe to get an answer around here? :| I've searched hi and low to solve it myself (as I usually do) with no success. S.O.S.

Crash reports won't get you a response. Afaik it is simply a way of helping the developers pick up if there are any systematic issues causing crashes for many users.

Sending Status Reports to Support via the Ableton help site has helped me every time. Help -> get syupport -> generate status report -> upload to website. Without fail, I have had an email from support staff within a day or two, and usually they have had good advice.

If all else fails, call Berlin. Their call centre is excellent and their technicians are very helpful.

Good luck!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:51 am

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had this phenomenon. I set the soundcard to 48k. My projects are 48k. It stays.

Can I ask what soundcard you are using?

CF3

Post by CF3 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:42 pm

The Finn wrote:Crash reports won't get you a response. Afaik it is simply a way of helping the developers pick up if there are any systematic issues causing crashes for many users.

Sending Status Reports to Support via the Ableton help site has helped me every time. Help -> get syupport -> generate status report -> upload to website. Without fail, I have had an email from support staff within a day or two, and usually they have had good advice.

If all else fails, call Berlin. Their call centre is excellent and their technicians are very helpful.

Good luck!

Have done all of that several times with no response. Guess I should try the call center. Still BS I can't get a straight answer from a company I've supported for 10 years.

CF3

Post by CF3 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:49 pm

102455 wrote:I'm confused. You said in your first post that you've been trying to change it, but now you say you've never changed it.

Also.....if it's set to the rate you want it at, why are you messing with it?

If I'm missing something here, please provide a more detailed explanation. :-)
You are missing the point... I NEVER CHANGED THE RATE. For some reason, Ableton changes it on it's own. Both in Live itself AND in the Audio Driver pane. When I try to change it back it CRASHES....repeatedly. It just simply will not let do anything over 44.1 (my interface supports up to 16 channels of 96kHz). I've check all my other software, it's definitely Ableton. Craziest shit ever. Again, not a noob. I'm vey familiar with sample rate, audio drivers and Ableton (10 year+ user). I've reinstalled everything, still doing it.

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 am

Dont usually chime in on these posts just read them and be on my way. But...

Live has excellent support, seriously they answer within a day or sometimes 2, any questions you have or problems pertaining to Live.

And i have had some doh moments in Live, and they are always friendly and helpful in solving them.

So from my own experiences so far the support has been top notch.

Also helps to email them directly, and send either live log file or crash report.. Be polite too Lol. 8)

Post by re:dream » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:41 am

Yes.
Try calling.

I have never heard of them not responding to an issue before.

Also, no one here is going to be able to help if you don't respond to requests for more information.

What sound card are you using?

Can you tell us more about your setup? What computer?

And your description is confusing since in your first post you did say that the problem occurs whenever you changed your sample rate, and in your subsequent posts you say that YOU NEVER CHANGED THE RATE and that Live changes it and won't let you change it back.

What does that mean, won't let you change it back?

Do you mean the sample rate stays the same if you change it?

Or that it crashes when you change it?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:51 am

You haven't mentioned what interface you're using, nor your OS, nor your Live version Have you made sure your interface is running on the latest driver? Tried installing a newer Live version, also a beta, if you're already on the latest version (9.1.1, right now)? Remember that you can keep several versions of Live installed at the same time. A fresh install can often fix things.

EDIT: didn't read The Finn's post... :D

Post by 102455 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:15 pm

He also said it's set to the rate he wants it at.........so why's he trying to change it????

Post by re:dream » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:06 am

Sometimes one does feel some sympathy for the folks at Ableton Support 8O :roll:

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 am

This sounds like an audio card problem and not specifically a live problem. The crash dump will probably give the best indication, so if you want a resolution, then you may be better off contacting whoever makes the audio interface.

I have no problems changing sample rate with my RME audio interface.
Nothing to see here - move along!