Getting text to appear in Push on M4L devices ?

Discuss Push with other users.
onefootskanka

Getting text to appear in Push on M4L devices ?

Post by onefootskanka » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi all

I'm using Robert Henke's ControlChange8 for M4L to send some Midi CC values. (http://roberthenke.com/technology/m4l.html)

Works great, but I'd like the text i write in for each parameter to show on my push so I can use it live. It currently just says Param_1 Param_2 etc

Does anyone know what i can do to get the text i write in the boxes on the M4L device show up on my push?

Cheers

rev_engineer

Re: Getting text to appear in Push on M4L devices ?

Post by rev_engineer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 pm

I tried to get something similar working with the 16 Macros M4L device to show assigned parameter names on my Zero SL MkII.

If Push works the same way (which I suspect it does but I don't know) then it gets its display text from either the 'short name' or 'long name' parameter, as set within the Max object in question.

I did quite a lot of digging in forums & tweaking M4L devices and while it's technically possible to change those parameters dynamically via messages, I found it plays havoc with MIDI assignments and was basically unworkable.

You could probably hard code the long name / short name parameters & have them show up on Push if you use the M4L device in the same way every time, but I don't know of a way to dynamically update them. That's not to say there isn't a way of course! :-)