Am I going mad?! (scrolling through tracks in Track mode)

Discuss Push with other users.
tdmusic_

Am I going mad?! (scrolling through tracks in Track mode)

Post by tdmusic_ » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:48 pm

I just installed the Live 9.1.2 beta and thought I spotted a bug in the Push mode, in that when I went into Track mode on the display and had more than 8 tracks, there used to be an arrow as the last button to let you scroll left/right (like << or >>) to see more tracks in the same way you can with devices... but then went back to 9.1.1 and the behaviour is exactly the same!

Am I going mad or did you used to be able to scroll through tracks in the display with a button like this? I've got a pink rectangle illustrating which area Push is controlling and I can move that in Session mode with the arrows to see more tracks... I'm not sure if that's new or not, I don't remember it but who knows!

Ha - so can anyone confirm if they are able to scroll tracks in Track mode with a button on Push? Or is it only possible to do this with Session view?

Jeffromusic

Re: Am I going mad?! (scrolling through tracks in Track mode)

Post by Jeffromusic » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:50 pm

tdmusic_ wrote:I just installed the Live 9.1.2 beta and thought I spotted a bug in the Push mode, in that when I went into Track mode on the display and had more than 8 tracks, there used to be an arrow as the last button to let you scroll left/right (like << or >>) to see more tracks in the same way you can with devices... but then went back to 9.1.1 and the behaviour is exactly the same!

Am I going mad or did you used to be able to scroll through tracks in the display with a button like this? I've got a pink rectangle illustrating which area Push is controlling and I can move that in Session mode with the arrows to see more tracks... I'm not sure if that's new or not, I don't remember it but who knows!

Ha - so can anyone confirm if they are able to scroll tracks in Track mode with a button on Push? Or is it only possible to do this with Session view?
Yeah I was wondering what happened here... My arrows are missing too. Even when i scroll to the right with the d-pad the rest of the track don't show up

tdmusic_

Post by tdmusic_ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Jeffromusic wrote: Yeah I was wondering what happened here... My arrows are missing too. Even when i scroll to the right with the d-pad the rest of the track don't show up
The only way to do it that I can find is to go into Session mode and use the D-pad to move the box that highlights the visible area... so you can do it reasonably quickly when in note mode by holding down Session, pressing the D-pad, then releasing Session.

I'm just sure the arrows used to be there! Am I right? Will file a bug report if so.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 pm

You need to be in Session mode for you to be able to move the red-box and see different tracks. No idea why, makes no sense to me and took me some time to figure out.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:50 pm

marcoskohler so how would you have implemented it?

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:31 pm

No idea, perhaps hold shift or select and use the arrows? Is there a reason that you must be in Session mode to do this? What's the benefit of not allowing this in Note mode? I don't perform live or anything so maybe I'm missing a workflow feature.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:10 pm

My guess is that they (Abes) considered that if you're in Note mode you are recording MIDI and laying down your performances on several Instruments (tracks). If you're in Session Mode you are 'Performing' those MIDI sequences and therefore moving around the Session View across numerous grid spaces.. This seems like a very logical throught process.

By the way, did you know that if you Hold the Session button down it temporarily brings up the Session page. You can trigger clips or also Hold Shift and move the 'Red Box' along 8 at a time. Then release the Session button and you jump straight back to Note mode..

It's quite an elegant solution I think.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 pm

Yep. That could sounds weird, but it makes sense (somehow).
When your in note mode, you are able to play/record instruments anywhere in your live set, including an instrument on a track which is not in the "red box" area. Navigating is done with the left/right arrow buttons, the selected track name will be displayed on Push's 3rd lcd line, but, as you said, the 4th lcd line will not move as it does in Session mode. It makes sense, because when you go out of note mode, you'll find the session grid where you left it before going into note mode. That could be totally annoying.
BUT, while in note mode, if you keep the session button pressed while navigating with the right/left arrows, you'll be able to do what you are asking for...
So, finally, it makes sense (in a way).

If you're on the beta, you can make a suggestion.

[edit] Ok, crossed posts with Panten.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:38 pm

One thing that bugs me no end is when you're in Note mode and press up/down it automatically launches the scene. That's grand if you're organised but often I like to create new variations without duplicating everything. I much prefer the way it is with PXT-Live.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:14 am

panten wrote:One thing that bugs me no end is when you're in Note mode and press up/down it automatically launches the scene. That's grand if you're organised but often I like to create new variations without duplicating everything. I much prefer the way it is with PXT-Live.
Try changing Push to Clip Workflow mode and see if that behaves like you expect: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/using ... references
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

panten

Post by panten » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 am

Cheers, I'm aware of the Track/Clip Workflow methods but it's this bit that bothers me. vv
Playback of the currently selected track’s clip in the new scene begins seamlessly
I would prefer that by default I can navigate around without triggering clips unless I press and hold Shift or actually trigger them from Session Mode.

jkant

Post by jkant » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:00 pm

panten wrote:
By the way, did you know that if you Hold the Session button down it temporarily brings up the Session page. You can trigger clips or also Hold Shift and move the 'Red Box' along 8 at a time. Then release the Session button and you jump straight back to Note mode..
Thank you for this one, I was going crazy!
I really can not understand why the 2 arrows buttons (close to the master) are not implemented, when there are more than 8 tracks.

Cheers