should i opt for passive or active monitors?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
8O

Re: should i opt for passive or active monitors?

Post by 8O » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:48 am

knotkranky wrote:My 15 year system isn't big or pricey; Quested h108's(8"), bryston 4bst 300 watt 4ohms per side. Under 2.5k usd total on the reasonable market. I've added a tannoy ts12 powered sub for properly represented lows. Doesn't matter, there are lots of products that are just as good. No magic in this setup. Just big, clear, extended spl's when ya want em. I take my 'actives' and powered sub if i'm mobile. They do much better with a sub which is the way to get lots more power out of any active setup imo. It's just my experience. I don't mean to preach any method.
Sounds like you're happy with the Brystons, yeah? Was thinking about getting a new power amp for my hi-fi - and always had a soft spot for Bryston. Just looking at some specs and saw something like 200 Watts power consumption idle. Is that normal for power amps of this size? Do you leave it on all the time?

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:46 pm

I went with bryston because they were powering all the small speaks in just about every studio it seemed. Class ‘A’ circuitry I believe. No research, just went with them, but it’s never gone down and I use to bounce it all around town with no case. I would love to get into some old MacIntosh power amps and esoteric custom tube stuff, but that’s just a fantasy i often exercise in my mind.

The amp is the brain or nervous system for speakers imo. The speakers and cab have one simple gig, the amp has many more complicated responsibilities and characters. I leave it on for weeks/months and off for weeks. 200 watts idle? Sounds realistic. High voltage audio gear generally sounds really good imo. Lows come out like they're supposed to. Heavy amps with big transformers is what ya want. It's not the only thing of course. There's lots of crap out too.

Again, I’m not knocking actives, I have them, but treat yourself to top-notch power. Having all that throttle available is the thing. Of course these things are in the margins, but that's where it's at. \ /

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 am

Cheers kk.

derzai

Post by derzai » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:08 pm

also on dutch forum they mention bryston to be the best. has one problem for me. can't afford. :lol:

yesterday i was in the forest, about ten miles from where i live, when i met a german guy. he was from berlin. he was in a hurry. lol.

next year i will see if i can get an amp and a set of passive speakers together.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:14 pm

Check out the Emotiva XPA-2, it gets stellar reviews and is a lot cheaper than the Bryston stuff. Quite a few mastering studios using these lately, including your's truly.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Tarekith wrote:Check out the Emotiva XPA-2, it gets stellar reviews and is a lot cheaper than the Bryston stuff. Quite a few mastering studios using these lately, including your's truly.
Sounds good, but... and I know it's not supposed to be important... but... ugly. If you could just buy a Bryston face plate and stick it over the XPA-2... :wink:

derzai

Post by derzai » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:30 pm

8O wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Check out the Emotiva XPA-2, it gets stellar reviews and is a lot cheaper than the Bryston stuff. Quite a few mastering studios using these lately, including your's truly.
Sounds good, but... and I know it's not supposed to be important... but... ugly. If you could just buy a Bryston face plate and stick it over the XPA-2... :wink:
yeh, but very good advice, thanks tarekith.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Horses for courses I guess, I thought it was cool looking. At least the MKII version is.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

derzai

Post by derzai » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Tarekith wrote:Horses for courses I guess, I thought it was cool looking. At least the MKII version is.
most important, it is affordable and looks like good quality. (jules deelder said) There is no account for taste, but we will argue about it.