Using the Touch Strip to control Mod wheel in a synth?

Discuss Push with other users.
Simbosan

Re: Using the Touch Strip to control Mod wheel in a synth?

Post by Simbosan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:11 am

Lots of synths allow you to specify the midi control that gets used, with mod wheel just the default. If yours doesn't and you have Max 4 Live there's an 'Expression Control' that might allow you to use aftertouch.
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Using it like the Electribe-Arp would also be a lot of fun.
Should not be too much trouble making that thing putting out
notes, and maybe the swing-knob could be used to select the note.
Integrating here the scale-feature would make a nice toy!

alexaaz

Post by alexaaz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Simbosan, I'm surprised no one has said this already, but your device is brilliant. Just a shame it has to jump back to 0 when you let go... Abes need to sort this out!

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Hey Alex, I have ideas to update it, but as nobody seemed to think it worthwhile, i didn't bother. Might have another go if you find it useful, thanks for the feedback
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:51 pm

In case it helps anyone, I think the device Acidshell mentioned on page 2 of this thread (M4L device that gives you MIDI-assignable mod & aftertouch for use before Sampler or whatever) is here:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/1854/putility

It's working for me anyway! Would love to use the Push touchstrip but the jump to 0 means it's unusable for me at the moment.

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 pm

PXT-Live Plus has the perfect implementation in my opinion with a choice between a spring loaded modwheel that snaps back to zero, and one that sticks where you stop your finger. Unfortunately, it can't be used at the same time as Push's native note mode as you have to be in User mode to get to it.

My heavy use of Zebra REQUIRES a modwheel but I sold my keys for the Push. Yes I know with the PXT script I can overdub the modwheel after the fact, but you want the modwheel right there to capture the moment.

Please Abes?!? Check out NativeKontrol for details...

featherodd

Post by featherodd » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:33 am

Totally agree, PXT Live Plus has an excellent implementation.

Another bandaid solution to Putility, is the excellent Keyboard Control device
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... rd-control

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 pm

It would be really nice to see this implemented. I'm a little disappointed to see so much progress happening with the PXT scripts and less happening on Ableton's end. I don't really want to mod my tools at this point while there are presumably still a lot of updates that are going to happen.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:38 am

Yeah I vote for a user switch between mod wheel and pitch bend... and a choice between spring and lock modes... with a spring rate too.

For a performance instrument to have a major part of it lacking development is disappointing.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 pm

For a performance instrument to have a major part of it lacking development is disappointing.
Seriously, for a $600 instrument this is very embarrassing as well as frustrating. How hard could it be for the Abe's to code this up in an afternoon?!? Sheesh...

geoffbakel

Post by geoffbakel » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:30 pm

Having this feature would be sweet! Ableton please make this happen, or someone else much smarter than me design a max device or something to do this...?

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 am

+1 :!:

It would be also very nice If we could define a kind of inertia function.

eg:
current Strip Position : 0

if you now tab or hold at the maximum it should smoothly fade up instead of jumping :)
Such kind of behavior would be even nice if we could use the strip to fade in out any other parameter !

Imagine the posibilities if you could even define different curves or even sync the duration to bars , steps etc

Origin

Post by Origin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:49 am

I was using a M4L midi device called "Keyboard Control" for Push, which gives knobs to lots of cool things for external keyboards.

However, this device:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... touchwheel

Actually turns the Push Touch Strip to behave exactly as you would want it to, and is simply installed on a track by track basis.

Love it, totally worth the $2 I paid.

musicfan1616

Post by musicfan1616 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:13 pm

THIS WAS REALLY COOL!!!! Thanks so much!

What do the numbers beside the 2 paramter boxes mean (to the right, 0 to 127)... I couldn't sort that out...

Simbosan wrote:Thought I would have a play in Max and see what I could come up with. It's the second thing I have tried to build so there's probably a lot of scope for improvement, but here's a useful first stab.

What it does is allow you to remap Pitch Bend up to one CC and Pitch Bend down to another. Why did I do it like that? Because the pitch bend CC always reverts to 64, and it would be impossible to map it between 0 and 127 using the full range without all sorts of awful code to suppress that behaviour. I have used the high resolution pitch bend control message so there should be no uneven change.

With this you could for example, map Pitch Up to Mod Wheel, and Pitch Down to Expression. Yes I included aftertouch too, even though the keys have aftertouch (and no Ableton doesn't support poly aftertouch before you ask), but it could be useful. You can also specify custom CC if you can think of a useful one.

It seems to work nicely for Modwheel and Expression so far.

I hope I have packaged it up correctly, never shared a device before!

Grab it here:
http://www.nzdeb.com/simbosan/PushPitchbendMapper.zip

Next steps:
1) I was thinking of doing something to allow you to map them to Rack controls like the Expression Control device but then I thought, you can use that device anyway!
2) Presets: you can't save stuff yet. Will get that working soon as I learn how =)
3) Suggestions!

I also did an ultra simple quicky to reverse the polarity (so Star Trek!) of my sustain pedal
http://www.nzdeb.com/simbosan/SustainPedalReverse.zip

Anyway, any feedback / restrained abuse welcome

S