[Old, see new thread] Ubermap: Push VST param remapping

Discuss Push with other users.
tom_d

Re: Ubermap (Alpha, Mac-only): Simple Push parameter remapping

Post by tom_d » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:13 pm

tom_d wrote: That is actually possible at the minute by rearranging the parameters in the "Configure" bit for the plugin, but the issue will be that every time you change the order or list of parameters, it'll export a new config file. These configs are ignored by default so won't cause any trouble except you'll end up with hundreds of files that need to be deleted and you'll have to check the logs to find which file is the right one.
Actually thinking about it, it's not that bad: what you can do is rearrange all the parameters the way you want them, then go into the Device mapping directory and delete all mappings for the device in question (so e.g. Diva_*.cfg), then reselect your device in Live and it'll just export the correct config, for you to go and customise.

Being able to temporarily disable the export would still be easier though!
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:21 am

Tom_d - thanks so much for this! I'm just about to go to sleep, but I can't wait to check this out tomorrow. I've been moaning about not having this functionality for some time, and now I can possibly map Zebra and Satin just the way I like, without scrolling about in nameless banks with garbled parameter names.

Arrgh - just saw the thread title again - "Mac only". I do hope this finds its way to PC at some point.

MTG105

Post by MTG105 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:40 am

so I just installed this, now Push doesn't want to talk to Ableton, it just says 'Please start Live to play...'

Any idea what I might've done wrong? Push is still showing up in MIDI Preferences, and a reinstall of Live gets push working again, but as soon as I run the install.sh from terminal, I get this problem. The only other modification I made to my Live installation was copying over the included Options.txt to my preferences folder. Restoring the original MIDI Remote Scripts folder within Ableton Live Suite 9.app gets Push working again. I'm running a 2011 MacBook Pro on Snow Leopard and Ableton Suite 9.1.1

edit: ok I think I found the problem, check out the report from terminal when I run install.sh:

Backing up file /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/_Generic/Devices.pyc
Backing up file /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/Push/DeviceParameterComponent.pyc
cp: ../Common/__init__.py: No such file or directory
cp: ../Common/configobj.py: No such file or directory
cp: ../Common/UbermapLibs.py: No such file or directory
cp: UbermapDevices.py: No such file or directory
cp: Devices.py: No such file or directory
cp: DeviceParameterComponent.py: No such file or directory
Backing up file ../Config/devices.cfg
cp: directory /Users/mdub/Ubermap does not exist
Backing up file ../Config/global.cfg
cp: directory /Users/mdub/Ubermap does not exist
rm: /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/Ubermap/*.pyc: No such file or directory
Ubermap installed - now restart Ableton Live.

'No such file or directory' - how can I fix that? can you tell me which directories to manually copy ubermap files to?

Also the folder created in the User Folder is the symbol "~/Ubermap" NOT user/Ubermap, so maybe thats a problem too?

MTG105

Post by MTG105 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:24 am

Ok disregard the previous post. I got it working!

What I had to do was open install.sh and manually remove then copy over all relevant files. I don't know Terminal commands so I can't tell you why your install script didn't work, but I got Live to load up a VST then dump the parameters to a .cfg file in ~/Ubermap/Devices. I'll let you know how it works, more to come.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:44 am

tedlogan wrote: Arrgh - just saw the thread title again - "Mac only". I do hope this finds its way to PC at some point.
There's nothing in theory to stop this working on PC, it's just the installer is currently Mac-only. I did try to run it on my PC laptop from work but Ableton just froze up whenever I launched it with Push connected, not sure if this was related to my script or just the computer being weird. If you'd like to be a guinea pig and don't mind the risk of messing up your Live install, give me a private message on here and we can try and get it working on your PC.
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 am

MTG105 wrote:so I just installed this, now Push doesn't want to talk to Ableton, it just says 'Please start Live to play...'
'No such file or directory' - how can I fix that? can you tell me which directories to manually copy ubermap files to?
Ah sorry, I think this my fault for being a little too vague with the instructions. You need to run the script from the Devices folder, so "./install.sh", rather than "./Devices/install.sh", as all the paths in there are relative to "Devices". I'll update the instructions to that effect.
Also the folder created in the User Folder is the symbol "~/Ubermap" NOT user/Ubermap, so maybe thats a problem too?
Well spotted. Fixed that now.

monsoonmoon

Post by monsoonmoon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:40 pm

This is awesome!! Thanks so much.

What would be really cool - to have different setups for the SAME plugin... for those plugins that have various sub modes. For example Soundtoys Echoboy has 4 modes. So it would be amazing if it were possible to create 4 different setups where the parameters/banks make sense according to the different modes.

But Ubermap only gives you 1 setup per plugin, right? To have different setups you'd need multiple versions of the same AU plugin component or VST. That right?
Any idea how to do this? Just creating another instance of the same AU component for example (just by copy/pasting in finder) doesn't work. In Ableton I still only see the 1 entry.

Cheers

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:48 pm

monsoonmoon wrote:This is awesome!! Thanks so much.

What would be really cool - to have different setups for the SAME plugin... for those plugins that have various sub modes. For example Soundtoys Echoboy has 4 modes. So it would be amazing if it were possible to create 4 different setups where the parameters/banks make sense according to the different modes.

But Ubermap only gives you 1 setup per plugin, right? To have different setups you'd need multiple versions of the same AU plugin component or VST. That right?
Any idea how to do this? Just creating another instance of the same AU component for example (just by copy/pasting in finder) doesn't work. In Ableton I still only see the 1 entry.

Cheers
You could sort of do this by creating multiple versions of the plugin with different configurations (just a different order will do) of exposed parameters in the Configure bit (you have to save them in Instrument Racks for Ableton to store the exposed parameters), and then Ubermap will see each of those as a different plugin (it uses the list of exposed parameters as part of the mapping name, to allow you to have different mappings for things like Reaktor ensembles, where the plugin has the same name but hosts different plugins and exposes different parameters).

However, this won't work that well because you can't change between modes without dragging in a different version of the plugin... or I suppose you could have a system of changing one of the parameter's order in the Configure bit to enter a different mode, so e.g. if "Wet/Dry" is the first exposed parameter normally, you could move that parameter to position 2 for mode 2, position 3 for mode 3 etc. But yeah, not ideal ;)

So what you want to achieve is to have different modes, each of which show/hide certain parameters? Why would you rather that than just having multiple banks - to avoid having too many banks and too much scrolling? You can duplicate parameters across banks so you could have the common parameters duplicated so they are easily accessible from different banks... but if there's a good reason for wanting to do it, I'll certainly have a think how it might be possible :)

monsoonmoon

Post by monsoonmoon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:13 pm

the multiple banks according to each mode idea sounds like a winner! that means that switching modes won't screw everything up..

thanks, i'm gonna roll with this option :)

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:10 am

I'm running into a problem while trying to set up a mapping for Diva. I cant get the both ADSRs to show up in the .cfg file. I think it may be because they both have same names for the parameters (Attack 1 AND Attack 2 are both labelled "Attack"). Any help on how i can get both to show up would be greatly appreciated.

tdmusic_

Post by tdmusic_ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:19 pm

blakjesus wrote:I'm running into a problem while trying to set up a mapping for Diva. I cant get the both ADSRs to show up in the .cfg file. I think it may be because they both have same names for the parameters (Attack 1 AND Attack 2 are both labelled "Attack"). Any help on how i can get both to show up would be greatly appreciated.
I've been curious about trying DIVA for a while (but also worried that I'll have to buy it once I've tried it ;)) so I'll download the demo and check this out myself and see if there is any workaround!

Regillio

Post by Regillio » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:35 pm

I've got it running on a pc after some fiddling with the code, but somehow i lost the custom labels , shows only original_names.

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:20 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Just for your information: There was a similar problem with one of the Live devices (I think it was Operator and Shaper Amount and Shaper On with both being named Shaper)), where 2 different parameters had the same name for the API. In the end we could not solve this, and had to accept to only use one of them.
That sucks... :( I guess ill have to stick with only editing the filter envelope from push. I have faith that someday a workaround will be made available.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:17 am

Regillio wrote:I've got it running on a pc after some fiddling with the code, but somehow i lost the custom labels , shows only original_names.
Cool! Could you share what changes you needed to make and I can add them to the source?

Missing custom labels - did you copy over the modified DeviceParameterComponent.py into the Push MIDI Remote folder? This is what enables custom labels so sounds like that could be missing.