Q. for Waldorf Attack VST users

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pbajzek

Q. for Waldorf Attack VST users

Post by pbajzek » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:41 pm

OK, this is really more of a Waldorf question, but since their manual says that all Program/Bank related issues are the responsibility of the host app, I'll ask here.

I understand how to populate my bank of 16 drum kits, but I can't switch between kits except by using Live's drop-down menu (not an option for live playing). Shouldn't Attack switch kits based on a MIDI Program Change? I can't seem to make it work, but maybe I'm overlooking something. Otherwise what's the point of having a bank of programs?

Hopefully someone can set me straight. Thanks.

edit: I know I can change kits by using a rack chain, but I want to use Attack's multi-out function and I can't set up a zillion sub-tracks for each kit.

Ben_Binary

Re: Q. for Waldorf Attack VST users

Post by Ben_Binary » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Sorry I cant answer your question off the top of my head.
I will check it when i get back in the studio and let you know what i can see.

Do you know how to use Attack with separate presets for each note but use one midi channel for playing the same sound but with different pitches over an octave ?

I thought it said something about midi channel 12 ?

I have tried it a few times over the years but i never can figure it out.
The manual doesnt really make it clear for me to do this in Ableton.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

pbajzek

Post by pbajzek » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Do you mean for playing the "pitched" synth sounds, like the basses that some kits have in the upper octave? I've never tried to do that, but if Waldorf's opaque manual is to be believed, it sounds like the upper 12 voices respond to MIDI channels 1-12, respectively. So if you programmed a bass sound you like on the uppermost key, you could play that by sending MIDI channel 12, the next highest might be a pad on ch. 11, etc.

I think you could set up multiple MIDI tracks all sending to the Attack master track in order to use this feature; not having tried it, I'm not sure what other issues you might run into.

Of course, the manual also implies that the VST version should respond to Program Change commands, which is my problem in the first place...

emef

Post by emef » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:53 pm

its working fine here

i load all the kits in the banks
go to the notes section of a clip
under sub bank, the porogram menu... choose which program i want that clip to play
make another clip, same thing... choose which program i want that clip to play

when i play back the different clips, attack changes drumkits as the new clip starts

if you have a bunch of clips set to follow actions you can get some really crazy shit going as the drumkits jump around randomly

pbajzek

Post by pbajzek » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:32 pm

Hmm. That's exactly the way I'd expect it to work, and just what I've been trying to do (changing programs per clip). Not sure why it doesn't work for me. Well, at least I know it's *possible*. Thanks.

edit: maybe it's a bug with the Mac VST? Other synths respond to PC correctly. No luck with Attack. I'll try to contact Waldorf.

emef

Post by emef » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:20 pm

by the way
i have to load each kit individually
there is some kind of bug with the attack bank loading
the banks look like they have loaded but all the kits are the same
try loading your kits individually

pbajzek

Post by pbajzek » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:07 am

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Even loading individually they still have the wrong names in Live's dropdown menu. Frustrating.

csl

Post by csl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:24 pm

Did you ever manage to resolve this?

I'm having this problem right now. Attack doesn't seem to be responding to clip program changes on either Mac or PC live 9.1.1.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:48 am

csl wrote:Did you ever manage to resolve this?

I'm having this problem right now. Attack doesn't seem to be responding to clip program changes on either Mac or PC live 9.1.1.
Thats not cool. I bought the 'steinberg' VST version and Waldorf said Im on my own as they dont support this version... but I got a LE version and it wasnt working to well with crashes and stuff.

Ill try again soon in L9
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:50 am

pbajzek wrote:Do you mean for playing the "pitched" synth sounds, like the basses that some kits have in the upper octave? I've never tried to do that, but if Waldorf's opaque manual is to be believed, it sounds like the upper 12 voices respond to MIDI channels 1-12, respectively. So if you programmed a bass sound you like on the uppermost key, you could play that by sending MIDI channel 12, the next highest might be a pad on ch. 11, etc.

I think you could set up multiple MIDI tracks all sending to the Attack master track in order to use this feature; not having tried it, I'm not sure what other issues you might run into.

Of course, the manual also implies that the VST version should respond to Program Change commands, which is my problem in the first place...
Thanks for the reply mate

csl

Post by csl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:35 am

I received a reply from Waldorf about this actually. Program change support was dropped since v1.3 due to incompatibilities with the VST protocol. Shame, but there we go; its lack of support is by design.

Apparently there is also an issue with authorisation in certain circumstances, which I encountered, but I managed to resolve this by inputing my reg data manually into the auth file on the mac.

But yes, the upper sounds inside Attack respond to different MIDI patches on ch 1-12.