Help creating a MIDI Controller

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
shabhy

Help creating a MIDI Controller

Post by shabhy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Hello,

New to Abelton and these forums.
I am in high school and have taken a digital music class at school. My school has MIDI controllers to use, but I want to make one myself for home use. I was thinking something like this but without the sliders. So basically a bunch of pads, a few toggle switches and some knobs. I was wondering if someone has already done this and had experience so I could get some guidance. I was thinking to use Raspberry Pi or Arduino as the controller, but am new to those, so I need some help getting it all started. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jestermgee

Re: Help creating a MIDI Controller

Post by jestermgee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 am

As nice and possibly fun as the project would be it would be more trouble than worth unless you really are after the learning curve.

Using my good ole friend Google I find this for you:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,22336.0.html

That would be a better start. Most of us are busy making or pretending to make music to build controllers.

Creating "pads" would be a real headache because I am not sure how much you know about proper expressive pad design but they are not simple contacts at all. Typically they are multi-stage carbon contactors where the more of the pads surface that presses over the spread of contacts the larger the velocity number so kind of like a big flat potentiometer using pressure. Then there is other fancy stuff in there too. But if you are a crazy scientist type you can learn something probably about that here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-posit ... -drum-pad/

The cost though of all the parts and the time spent to make something that will function probably not even as nicely as a nanopad/kontroller may have you wishing you just spent it on an actual controller.

If you do make something tho be sure to let us see it.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:40 am

According to me,
midibox is by far the best.
There are also some ready-made solutions by Doepfer.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:13 am

I would also recommend MidiBox, from personal experience. Arduino's good too. Raspberry Pi would be a bit overkill for me unless you wanted processing power or interfacing at a PC-level, which you generally don't need for MIDI controllers.