Kontakt 2 with Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Per Boysen

Kontakt 2 with Live?

Post by Per Boysen » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:16 pm

Is anyone using Kontakt 2 with Live? Comments?
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

rozling

Post by rozling » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:55 am

Been using it for a month or two now - I found it a bit unintuitive when setting up audio/midi routings for multiple Kontakt instruments in Live, but after someone here helped me out I've found that side fine.

Haven't delved much into its crazy mangling properties though, just using it as a sound module atm. I know people have had various issues with Kontakt 2 (not necesssarily in Live), but bear in mind there's been an update in the last month or so.

d-plate

Post by d-plate » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:19 pm

There is a Kontakt 2 already? ooooooooooooh

Time to max out credit card...

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:15 pm

Yeah- I've had it for a couple months. I agree that it's not the most intuitive interface out there... but a lot the sounds are sweet.

A few of the orchestral sounds fall into the catagory of "it sounds like the instrument in the room with you, not a computer". There are very very few sounds out there that fall into that catagory. It doesn't hurt that a lot of the sounds come from the Vienna Symphonic Library.

This module gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:40 pm

I read on the NI site that K2 supports surround mixing - that's cool! It has decicated surround fx plug-ins liks surround step filter etc. I hope I can spare the dough to pick it up before the deal times out.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Abzurd

Post by Abzurd » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:48 pm

Kontakt 2 & Live are amazing together I use them on almost everything I do now!

The sounds that come with Kontakt are outstanding and easy to access (not like earlier versions of Knotakt).

The fact that it includes sounds from the Vienna Symphonic Library is worth the price of admission.

http://www.vsl.co.at/english/pages/prof ... _demos.htm

If you instruments in your songs that sound like real instruments it's definetly the way to go.

ABZurd

rockstar

Re: Kontakt 2 with Live?

Post by rockstar » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:06 pm

I've been using K2 with Live a bunch and it's lots of fun. K2's "Outputs" section is great: basically you can have one track in Live as MIDI input and then create output channels for different groups within an instrument. On drums, for example, you edit in one MIDI track but send each group (ie - drum sound) to a different output and pick each up in a different live track. This lets you filter and effect each drum sound separately in live (flanging just the hats, for example). It's genius. Oh, yeah, the sound library is excellent as well.

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:44 pm

here too... Kontakt 2 + Live 5 = awesome combination.

great additions to the sample libs as well. The included "lite" version of the Vienna Symphony Library is a huge value alone...

I heard NI is offering a 50% off special on K2 through August... if you're going to do it anyway, there's no better time to leap than now.........

peace,
tribalogical
iMac 5K 27", 4.2Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 3TB Fusion HD: Focusrite 6i6 v2: NI S88 keyboard
MacBookPro 13", 2.4Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD
MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
Apps:: Live Suite 9.7.4, Logic Pro X
Plugins:: hordes...

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:54 pm

tribalogical wrote: 50% off special on K2 through August... if you're going to do it anyway, there's no better time to leap than now.........l
Yeah, I qualify for that offer since I already own the East-West Gold Symph library with the Kompakt player. I already have a good sampler with Logic (EXS24) but I'd like to use the fine EXS24 library with Live as well and this K2 deal seems to be the way to go. Will probably be doing more surround stuff in the future and the K2 plug-ins are looking very interesting. Thank you everyone for all the advice. Hope I will be able to save up the money for this K2 offer ;-)
Last edited by Per Boysen on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Gigatron

Post by Gigatron » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:56 am

I recently sold my emu 6400 ultra and converted all my sample libraries over to Kontakt 2... that should tell you something. :D

Urbem

Post by Urbem » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:50 pm

Is it possible to load multiple instruments and assign them to different track in Live with just one VST instance of Kontakt ??
AthlonXP 2700+, WinXP SP2, Live 5.2.2, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, MalletKat Pro, Evolution MK-449c...

rockstar

re: k2 in live 5

Post by rockstar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:49 pm

Is it possible to load multiple instruments and assign them to different track in Live with just one VST instance of Kontakt ??
Yes. You can use the "Outputs" section to create multiple output channels (I think the K2 update actually gives you version with 8 outs and 16 outs). You then assign instruments and groups to the different output channels in K2. Now you can pick up each output on a separate track in Live.

So you have 1 MIDI track (or more) going into K2 from Live
You have instruments and groups mapped to different outputs in K2
You have separate audio tracks pick up the K2 outputs in Live.

It works great on drums, for example, where you can have 1 MIDI input tracks and then filter and effect each drum sound separately in Live (flanging just the hats, or compressing just the snare, for example).

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:11 pm

Yes. You can use the "Outputs" section to create multiple output channels (I think the K2 update actually gives you version with 8 outs and 16 outs). You then assign instruments and groups to the different output channels in K2. Now you can pick up each output on a separate track in Live
Sweet. I gotta give this a hack when I get home... in 9 hours :x

K2 is good stuff but if it came down to it I'd rather have Reaktor 5.

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:36 am

Anyone tried Battery 2 with Live 5?

d-plate

Post by d-plate » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:37 am

dave999z wrote:Anyone tried Battery 2 with Live 5?
Me :D works fine :wink: But for most of my simple drum patterns I use Impulse... not that much of a CPU hog. Tho if I wanna process my drums a bit more, I bring out Battery!