80s Production Techniques

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
marshmelto

80s Production Techniques

Post by marshmelto » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:43 pm

I started producing music in ableton about a year ago. I have gone through so many genres to try and find out what I like most. For drums I mainly use old drum machines. I love their sound. It goes well with what im trying to do. I just don't think my productions are quite there. I need some tips on here on how to dirty up the sound. How can I get a more 80s sound? I really don't have much money to spend on equipment or vsts. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/jindojindojindo/melt-me

https://soundcloud.com/jindojindojindo/manilla-pudge

Lil Linux

Re: 80s Production Techniques

Post by Lil Linux » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:16 am

I remember one filter technique to get an 80's recorded sound. I can't find that tutorial anymore on the web search. They would use a filter on the main channel that oh so slightly bends the pitch of the entire song up and down. The increments were very little so it wasn't noticeable,but, effective. Sort of like a VCR tape that would slightly speed up and slightly slow down.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:46 am

I was about to be sarcastic by asking "why the hell would someone want the sound of the 80s !?". Then I listened to your tracks on soundcloud, and I enjoyed them actually !

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Your tracks are pretty cool (only listening on laptop speakers but sounds good)! I love 80s sounding stuff. You should check out Hyetal if you haven't already heard him, especially his first album, and in particular the track "Beach Scene". Has a very 80s sound to it but with modern production influences.

Not sure about many specific tricks, the only one that comes to mind is that a gated reverb on the snare was quite common to give it that "massive snare" sound (think Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight"). Pretty sure there is a preset in the Live library which can do this :)
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

Post by 102455 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Maybe try adding a "tape warmth" plugin. Remember that vinyl was still the main playback format, so you might consider adding some pops and crackles :-)

RIAA EQ was used on vinyl playback equipment, which boosted the low end and cut the highs (the opposite to the way vinyl was cut) and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a plugin to replicate how that affected the sound too.

Ah, how about this? http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/ free download.

marshmelto

Post by marshmelto » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Yea guys I will try out some of your tips for sure. Feel free to link all the nice and free vst's. I'm a big fan of those !

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Lil Linux wrote:I remember one filter technique to get an 80's recorded sound. I can't find that tutorial anymore on the web search. They would use a filter on the main channel that oh so slightly bends the pitch of the entire song up and down. The increments were very little so it wasn't noticeable,but, effective. Sort of like a VCR tape that would slightly speed up and slightly slow down.
A filter that bends the pitch eh? Pro tip for sure!
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:53 pm

8O holy shit!
Valiumdupeuple wrote:I was about to be sarcastic by asking "why the hell would someone want the sound of the 80s !?". Then I listened to your tracks on soundcloud, and I enjoyed them actually !
this. this ^

they already sound like you have it nailed.

except that the kick on manilla pudge thumps... even in my shit earbuds i'm listening on. that's not very 80'sish :P

do us a favor... if you change 'melt me'... do a before and after version to compare. love the change up and the end near the 4 minute mark. i can't imagine getting it more 80's than it is.

:? it seems weird to say that and actually mean it in a really good way.

drummachiner

Post by drummachiner » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:42 am

This thread about recreating tape wow and flutter might be helpful.
He really breaks down the list of things an analog tape machine would do to audio.
You could probably make a version of this that works on on the master bus using the filter delay and Max for live LFO

The guys youtube tutorial is here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciiy5TBoXp8

ableton thread here....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=189351&p=1478403&hi ... a#p1478403

Like your tracks too :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:51 am

80s production techniques

Put on a weird shirt of some kind, at the time I favoured the doublebreasted flock of seagulls number . Rack out the lines of coke, and channel Martin Rushent

now watch this slice of life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B18h7zRmBhY

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:15 am

^ the hairdos made me lol... almost as much as the green text.

love his comment on sampling: "what the publishers and people like that say when they find out what's going on is going to be rather interesting."

and... "i've got an album here by an unknown who i think has got a real future. a man named David Bowie"... "i've got a snare drum off that album" :lol:

speaking of dilapidated musical styles Angstrom... what happened with your 70's cop show music you were working on??

MegasonicTeenageWarhead

Post by MegasonicTeenageWarhead » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:43 am

The glue might be useful a lot of 80's stuff wen through an SSL as far as I know, is there any particular aspect you're having trouble with?

marshmelto

Post by marshmelto » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:30 am

well I just took a random stab at it, tried my best to make it sound 80s. But if im already doing it correctly then I am happy. I was mostly going for a com truise sort of sound.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:01 pm

marshmelto wrote:well I just took a random stab at it, tried my best to make it sound 80s. But if im already doing it correctly then I am happy. I was mostly going for a com truise sort of sound.
College is also very cool, sounds like he applies some of the limitations that were around in the 80's to his productions.

Whizzercone

Post by Whizzercone » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:35 pm

12 bit synths. Gate your drums. Fizzy or big Reverb everything, and that reverb needs to be digital and probably 12 bit as well.