Art installation using Maxforlive

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
gavspav

Re: Art installation using Maxforlive

Post by gavspav » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Here's some pix of the development process, from my website:
http://ianbrill.drupalgardens.com/conte ... ion-images

Wow looks like a nightmare to build! Hope you had lots of help. :o

I only say this cos I built an big led wall last year and it nearly killed me! Hasn't put me off though. I've got a hexagonal marquee and would love to build 6 led walls for it one day but $$$$$$$

If you want to swap knowledge/findings about M4L +Led's I'm always up for sharing. I've been using WS2801/Ws2812's and Teensy controllers. Making patterns either with code on the board or piping video in through processing from various apps. I've only gone up to 512 pixels but your igloo looks like much more (I haven't counted) so I'm sure you have already faced this issue.

PS Is that rice? What is it for?

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:13 pm

gavspav wrote:Here's some pix of the development process, from my website:
http://ianbrill.drupalgardens.com/conte ... ion-images

Wow looks like a nightmare to build! Hope you had lots of help. :o

I only say this cos I built an big led wall last year and it nearly killed me! Hasn't put me off though. I've got a hexagonal marquee and would love to build 6 led walls for it one day but $$$$$$$

If you want to swap knowledge/findings about M4L +Led's I'm always up for sharing. I've been using WS2801/Ws2812's and Teensy controllers. Making patterns either with code on the board or piping video in through processing from various apps. I've only gone up to 512 pixels but your igloo looks like much more (I haven't counted) so I'm sure you have already faced this issue.

PS Is that rice? What is it for?
Gavspav- there's a lot I want to touch on here, but very busy. I will respond to this in detail. It seems we have plenty to commiserate about :lol:

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:14 pm

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:19 pm

gavspav wrote: Wow looks like a nightmare to build! Hope you had lots of help. :o

Nice wall :)

I assembled it three times so far. By the second time it went together a lot faster. It helps that my friends are awesome :)
A friend and I were able to get most of the structure together by ourselves in two days, the second time. It helps tremendously when you have a ceiling to go through. The gallery was far more difficult and took three people, and about a hundred pedestals. It was like a cross between a game of human-scale Jenga and a reenactment of Fitzcarraldo.

Very happy I could get a secure a grant for this project.
gavspav wrote: If you want to swap knowledge/findings about M4L +Led's I'm always up for sharing. I've been using WS2801/Ws2812's and Teensy controllers. Making patterns either with code on the board or piping video in through processing from various apps. I've only gone up to 512 pixels but your igloo looks like much more (I haven't counted) so I'm sure you have already faced this issue.
I would be happy to talk. Not this week :) Holy moly... but soon! hit the road next week, come back later in the week. Perhaps we could catch up then?
gavspav wrote:PS Is that rice? What is it for?
$80 worth of rice did a good enough job, when the entire warehouse was flooded from emergency sprinklers. +1 for epoxy.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:56 pm

LOFA wrote:Just got this write-up published:

http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog ... -like-this

again, really nice. i didnt know about that site before, so cheers

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Every time I post on this forum it reminds me of the enthusiastic fanboy that once spent ~6 years obsessively learning everything I could about Ableton and Max/MSP- even before they announced their collaboration. So, I must admit that it gives me tremendous satisfaction to post the following link:

http://cycling74.com/2014/02/27/plume/