New Godzilla trailer with Heisenberg

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sporkles

Re: New Godzilla trailer with Heisenberg

Post by sporkles » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Utter crap.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:56 pm

:lol:

One can only hope that Godzilla doesn't have the uber ham fisted messaging of Monsters. ffs. Getting beat over the head with the immigration/homeland security/etc etc crap was godawful and tedious. TEDIOUS.

I also hope that chick involvement is kept to an absolute minimum.

That was one of the genius moves John Carpenter made with his version of The Thing. No chicks.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote::That was one of the genius moves John Carpenter made with his version of The Thing. No chicks.

Wait, Wilford Brimley is a dude?!

8O
Unsound Designer

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:13 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:One can only hope that Godzilla doesn't have the uber ham fisted messaging of Monsters. ffs. Getting beat over the head with the immigration/homeland security/etc etc crap was godawful and tedious. TEDIOUS.

I also hope that chick involvement is kept to an absolute minimum.

That was one of the genius moves John Carpenter made with his version of The Thing. No chicks.
If the latest Hobbit movie is anything to go by, I think we can safely assume we should expect an uncharacteristically-hot-army-gal-on-giant-lizard romance.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Jesus christ someone mentioned Roland Emmerich and I was scared he was directing Godzilla but no, thank fuck.

So, I haven't seen Monsters, and I see that Jon Hopkins did the music, so I'm looking forward to seeing it tonight.

I hope Zilla tears that ass up for half of the movie. Do a really well done mystery/drama/thriller in the first half, and then Zilla just indiscriminately bitch smacking everything in sight for the 2nd half. Then preferably end it with the human race being destroyed, then other Zillas & Co. pop up and he's like Jet Li at the end of 'The One'. Such a bad movie, but a nice ending.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:32 pm

All I know is that is some great trailer making. Clocking in at about 2.5 minutes I felt like a watched a movie, but not THE movie. And again, great sound design and music to create tension.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:33 pm

Or just have Godzilla asskicking for 100% of the movie, then ramps up to 500% for the last 10min.

The brilliance of the original was that the anti-nuke/cold war/science might not be your friend message was kept to, like, one line of dialogue.

Whizzercone

Post by Whizzercone » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:35 pm

stringtapper wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote::That was one of the genius moves John Carpenter made with his version of The Thing. No chicks.

Wait, Wilford Brimley is a dude?!

8O
Sorry, I am not a walrus sexing expert.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:51 pm

beats me wrote:All I know is that is some great trailer making. Clocking in at about 2.5 minutes I felt like a watched a movie, but not THE movie. And again, great sound design and music to create tension.
Yes, I felt like watching a movie, too, namely 2001: A Space Odyssey. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:57 pm

i can't watch the trailer at work, but based on the posts in this thread... is it safe to assume that Godzilla has clouds coming out of his ass and his foot steps create weather fronts?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:15 pm

And again, great sound design and music to create tension.
Yeah except the 'braahhmm' and it's derivatives (they 'upped it' by making this one granular) are played out, just like the bass drop that happens the split second the character senses danger, which I surprisingly didn't hear on this trailer; maybe that one is on it's way out.
Looks like Cranston is taking it to grammy notch on this one, a hopefully not-so-forgettable rehash; that's cool.

But instead of upping it 500% in the last 10 minutes, how about the 2nd half? I'm still unsatisfied and hungry from the lack of destruction that "The Day After Tommorrow" was supposed to bring. Unless I'm forgetting, my thirst for an exhausting 2 hours of brutal unrelenting destruction of western civlization in talkie format has not been quenched.

Although now that I think of it I was not expecting to like Spielberg's War of the Worlds as much as I did.
ImageImage

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:33 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote::lol:
One can only hope that Godzilla doesn't have the uber ham fisted messaging of Monsters. ffs. Getting beat over the head with the immigration/homeland security/etc etc crap was godawful and tedious. TEDIOUS

Well, yeah, there was that bit looking at the wall, that gave me a little mouthful of sick- "Amerika looks so different from the outside" Bah.

But other than that, I didn't think it was messagey.

I enjoyed it because it wasn't what I expected knowing nothing about it before. Then I found how it was made and I was really impressed.

Opening CGI is crap, but after that it looks really good for a no budget film.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:42 pm

shadx312 wrote:
Yeah except the 'braahhmm' and it's derivatives (they 'upped it' by making this one granular) are played out
I seem to remember us all getting a collective erection over Prometheus' braahhmm-tastic trailer.

It was OK. But not as good as the braahhmm suggested.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:16 pm

andydes wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote::lol:
One can only hope that Godzilla doesn't have the uber ham fisted messaging of Monsters. ffs. Getting beat over the head with the immigration/homeland security/etc etc crap was godawful and tedious. TEDIOUS

Well, yeah, there was that bit looking at the wall, that gave me a little mouthful of sick- "Amerika looks so different from the outside" Bah.

But other than that, I didn't think it was messagey.

I enjoyed it because it wasn't what I expected knowing nothing about it before. Then I found how it was made and I was really impressed.

Opening CGI is crap, but after that it looks really good for a no budget film.

Yeah, I did enjoy it as well. I'd see it again. Just not enough MONSTERS. :lol:

Yeah, when I found out how it was made as well I was like 8O 8O 8O 8O

Jebus.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:35 pm

andydes wrote:
shadx312 wrote:
Yeah except the 'braahhmm' and it's derivatives (they 'upped it' by making this one granular) are played out
I seem to remember us all getting a collective erection over Prometheus' braahhmm-tastic trailer.

It was OK. But not as good as the braahhmm suggested.
Wouldn't Prometheus be around the time right in the middle when it had become a standard but not quite played out yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDSE7RHvno

Ah, the bass drop is at 1:10 in the trailer.

"It wasn't an earthquake, it wasn't a typhoon..." Nope, it was just a giant mutant dinosaur that sounds more like an alien tuba than a screaming banshee.
And then you have your stock fast-autopan/tremolo slithery sound that doesn't seem to be connected to anything at all, but it's meant to be pavlovian at this point so it doesn't need to be.
ImageImage