What, no stickers?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tuur

Post by Tuur » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:46 pm

Forum wrote:Sticky: What, no stickers?
:lol:

:oops:

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:17 am

if you buy the upgraded version Live 5 cd and maunual. Ableton will throw in the stickers an demo copy of Live 5 to be handed out to a friend. The stickers are black/white not the green/black were all use to seeing.
Vote for Pedro.

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:14 am

We want stickers!!!! :lol: :lol:

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:11 pm

signal wrote:You guys are asking for the privilege to pay extra for stickers advertising a product that you already own? Am I missing a joke?
Don't think of them as "advertising stickers"... think more along the lines of "laptop tattoos".

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:51 am

As a capitalist i see an opportunity. If the demand is big enough I may go into the business of bootlegging Ableton stickers.
Vote for Pedro.

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:47 pm

Got my Live5 box yesterday (beautiful design in itself, wonderful packaging), and within the user manual was a nice page of stickers. Yeah!

rasputin

Good thing I was polite!

Post by rasputin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:25 pm

After hearing there were no stickers in the new Live 5 box, I wrote to Ableton asking to be put on the list. The box arrived two days ago and there were nice stickers in it! So maybe if I just keep quiet I'll get some extras.

Now....what to put them on? Here kitty kitty...

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:35 pm

darcyb does not condone the application of stickers to kitties for obvious animal well being reasons

The kitty would be very disappointed after it fell off from sheded hair, and would be most distressed. :) Better to put the sticker on a food dish!

signal

Post by signal » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:07 pm

sqook wrote:Don't think of them as "advertising stickers"... think more along the lines of "laptop tattoos".
Whatever you choose to call it, it is branding and I am consistenly baffled by the exuberant "Brand me!" sentiment.

I'm usually as pleased with Live as anyone else and I happily recommended it to others looking for a deep and innovative piece of audio software, but begging for logo schwag of any description seems like a waste of time for all involved.

As if it isn't hard enough to avoid being draped in labels by clothing and shoe manufacturers, not to mention the accompanying media assault. It's an unstoppable, well-oiled machine fueled by our dollars/euro/yen already, so why encourage it any more than necessary?

Let me be clear that I am not equating Ableton with the insidious global brands we all know so well. Primarily, I just find the urge to voluntarily drag this stuff into the context of creative expression and forward-thinking entertainment troubling.

That said, Ableton clearly emerged from the environment in which its customers and supporters exist and that relationship is a positive one, but at the end of the day I don't care what tools I use as long as they work as they should. I will emphasize work here because as Live's feature set has grown to accommodate a user base of increasing diversity, so has the number of problems that appear with each new release.

It is absurd that I've devoted this much hot air to a tiny, good-natured effort to get some freebies, so I’ll stop polluting this thread and go back to trying to figure out a workaround for the bug I’m experiencing while I wait for Ableton to reply to my support query.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:33 pm

sqook wrote:
signal wrote:You guys are asking for the privilege to pay extra for stickers advertising a product that you already own? Am I missing a joke?
Don't think of them as "advertising stickers"... think more along the lines of "laptop tattoos".
definitely a cosmetic enhancement, not much of an ethical dilemma, i think... :D there is a lager circular Live sticker in the set with a diagram suggesting placement right in the center of the laptop cover-- usually reserved for the laptop *manufacturers logo ad*, right? If you open your laptop, you're already prominently 'branded' :D
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:20 pm

People choose to promote their favorite brands because of family behavior. Since it's based on choice and passion (and you can tell when people get excited about missing stickers), it's not a psychological money dripping trick, but a natural gathering of people of like mind.

This isn't a bad thing. It's very heart warming. I'm extremely glad to be a part of the Ableton family, where mutual support comes quick and easy, and the result is music...something the universe is made of! And, I also enjoy the Mac family. Put all that together, and you've got millions of friendships waiting to be made. Some people smoke as a social enabler, others drink, and some compose with Ableton on their Macs. Doesn't matter. As long as talking, writing and comraderie occurs.

Ableton profits financially from such a thing, but as founders of the feast for the family, they should.

You can be an island if you want to, and derive no joy from a creative tool except from what you create yourself, potentially with peers which would give you the same familial reward, or, you can "stick" to people/Ableton. Choice. Freedom. No harm done. :)

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:25 pm

signal wrote:It is absurd that I've devoted this much hot air to a tiny, good-natured effort to get some freebies, so I’ll stop polluting this thread and go back to trying to figure out a workaround for the bug I’m experiencing while I wait for Ableton to reply to my support query.
It's amazing how much air is expelled when one begins to play the victim. All that you've said is true. No fault there. But what you're doing with it, is spending so much time pointing it out, you keep yourself entrenched instead of dismissing it and moving on.

When you take a swig of sour milk, do you carry the carton around showing people, "hey see how sour this is? try it. Man is it ever sour. Hey you, do you know how sour this is? Version 4 wasn't this sour, then again, they weren't shipping it as far trying to satisfy a more diverse clientele" ? Dump it, and move on. Let the manufacturer know, which you have, and wait. We're only human. We screw up our software while trying to write it just as often as we get bent over and rimmed by our own expectations.

signal

Post by signal » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:35 pm

Being supportive of a product or the people who use it does not preclude expressing a valid criticism in a public forum, especially when the overwhelming majority of traffic in that forum is positive. That imbalance in this case is a testament to the quality of Ableton's organization and the good nature of the user base.

I am not suggesting that people rallying around something in a positive spirit (software, hardware, vintage cars, etc.) is a bad thing nor am I suggesting that anyone is a victim or that dairy products anywhere have gone bad.

All that I'm saying is that begging for schwag in a culture awash with the stuff is odd and that software often gets buggier as the feature set grows.

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:28 pm

signal wrote:All that I'm saying is that begging for schwag in a culture awash with the stuff is odd and that software often gets buggier as the feature set grows.
I submit to you (in calmer words) a full agreement. It is indeed odd. If people would attach to each other in such ways, we'd all be the better for it. :)

Do you suppose that with a constant stream of new features, the quiet harmony achieved with fewer parts is more difficult to master? I believe users of Logic have trumpeted similarily.

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:04 pm

Maybe I'll make a t-shirt goes something like, "I'm a brand, wear me!" 8)

I dig my ableton stickers..... and my apple stickers..... haven't ever stuck them on anything, but I still like them..... hm.... that's pretty odd, now I think about it... 8O :P

peace,
tribalogical
iMac 5K 27", 4.2Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 3TB Fusion HD: Focusrite 6i6 v2: NI S88 keyboard
MacBookPro 13", 2.4Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD
MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
Apps:: Live Suite 9.7.4, Logic Pro X
Plugins:: hordes...