Hardware recorded to audio track sound quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

Hardware recorded to audio track sound quality

Post by mickmike » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:04 pm

I've been using software for many years, having originally come from a hardware background ( Atari 1040, Akai etc ). I've recently been inclined to experiment with hardware again, with a xoxbox, and novation nova. Here's the rub. When I'm playing through a midi channel, the sound quality is A1, but when I record from the midi channel to an audio channel, the quality noticeably decreases, to the point I might as we'll be using software. The analog tone of the xoxbox, which is great, is lost. I've tried various eq and compressor plugins, but the quality definitely decreases. Any advice ?. Is this just an ableton thing, of does it effect all daws. I love ableton, but would willingly use something else, if the hardware sound quality improved.

Khazul

Re: Hardware recorded to audio track sound quality

Post by Khazul » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:46 am

To get a useful response you need to give some useful information.

Audio interface, indicated levels, any plugins in use, sample rate, bit depth, how you are synchronising (midi sync?). Exactly what you think is wrong with the resulting sound ('analog tone is lost' isn't helpful) and especially what are your warp settings in preferences and what are the resulting warp settings of the recorded audio.

Also how are you monitoring the hardware? Direct through mixer, or via Live - is the sound level that same (hardware vs live output) in each case allowing a direct comparison?
Nothing to see here - move along!

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 am

I think you may be missing my point. The set up is largely irrelevant. Playing external analog gear through a midi track is fine. I am then routing this midi track to an audio track to record the sound. The degredation in sound quality when captured in the audio track is noticeable when compared to the sound coming into the midi track. I want to improve the quality captured in the audio track.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:43 am

mickmike wrote:I think you may be missing my point. The set up is largely irrelevant.

Really? Well you evidently know what you are doing - WTF you asking here for?

Good luck sorting it out :lol:

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:57 am

ableton sounds shit because of PDC, do ur research, mate. u need pro tools if u want 2 sound pro. i record analog midis in pro tools all the time and it sounds a treat. ableton is a toy 4 DJs.

or wait for bitwig.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Khazul, youre clearly up youre arse, so forget it. Leisuremuffin, will definitely be checking out bigwig demo when it comes out. You reckon the sound quality when recording analog will be better?

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Has to be better, but wud not totally switch until they come out with bitwig pro. For me I need 2 see if bitwig will support my sound blaster pro card before I can even consider.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:40 pm

:lol: