Is there a device that writes automation

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
interceptor

Is there a device that writes automation

Post by interceptor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 am

Is there a device that can write all parameter settings of a plugin as automation in a clip?

Johnisfaster

Re: Is there a device that writes automation

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:42 pm

I dont think there is but I WANT IT!
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

madeofoak

Post by madeofoak » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:56 pm

me too. just upgraded to 9, and the m4l midi generators were a selling point. can't believe you aren't able to record the data.

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Why can't you record the data from midi generators?
I was able to record midi from M4L devices to a midi clip in a different track by using the IAC bus (mac only). There are similar solutions on windows, but you'll need a third party application (midi ox, loopMidi etc.).

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:57 pm

You can just route the MIDI Out directly to the Track In of a different MIDI track, or conversely route the MIDI In back to the other track's out. MIDI-OX loopback isn't necessary but it will work too. Arm and route the second track while the first is playing and any M4L or MIDI Effect notes get recorded. If the M4L device generates or modifies control channel data that should be recorded too.

I'll test it later, but I'd like to know if changes made by the live.object or live.remote~ in M4L will generate automation curves if automation recording is enabled. This would definitively answer the OP's question.
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:18 pm

clydesdale wrote:You can just route the MIDI Out directly to the Track In of a different MIDI track, or conversely route the MIDI In back to the other track's out. MIDI-OX loopback isn't necessary but it will work too. Arm and route the second track while the first is playing and any M4L or MIDI Effect notes get recorded. If the M4L device generates or modifies control channel data that should be recorded too.

I'll test it later, but I'd like to know if changes made by the live.object or live.remote~ in M4L will generate automation curves if automation recording is enabled. This would definitively answer the OP's question.
I stand corrected! no need for an external midi loopback. I mocked up a device that just spits out CC data and it was recorded into a blank midi clip.

As far as the OP goes, I think you are asking to record parameter adjustments in a clip? or store the values of parameters as presets? If it's a non Live device, as long as you can observe settings via the api you could set this up. If you clear up exactly what you're after I'd have a better answer for you.

Changes made by live.object to a parameter will be recorded in automation AND the undo history. That's one of the reasons that live.remote is preferred for modulation. Parameters that are changed by live.remote DO NOT write automation or to the undo history therefore not clogging your undo history with tons of messages pre second.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:10 am

Cant the new monolake lfo write data to automation?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:14 am

straitfire wrote:Changes made by live.object to a parameter will be recorded in automation AND the undo history. That's one of the reasons that live.remote is preferred for modulation. Parameters that are changed by live.remote DO NOT write automation or to the undo history therefore not clogging your undo history with tons of messages pre second.
Is there a different behavior depending on whether you're recording or not? Since live.object's intent was to act as if a user was making changes, does it follow that the undo history reacts the same? If I record 10 channels at once, a single undo will revert back to just before the record button was pushed regardless of how many other actions took place during the actual recording. But if I just change the value of a single parameter while not in record mode it becomes an undo point all by itself. Does M4L do that too or just ignore the live_set state?

I had seen posts before that it was bad form to flood the undo history but up to this point I hadn't done enough m4l to understand the context.
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface