Better track management (track hiding)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
golemus

Better track management (track hiding)

Post by golemus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:00 pm

I have said this many times but once again: there should be some solution that reduces the amount of up-down scrolling in arrangement view when working with large amount of tracks (like 50-70 tracks, etc..). I spend large portion of composing scrolling up/down searching for the track I need to work on next.

Studio One seems to have solved this pretty well.

ansolas

Re: Better track management (track hiding)

Post by ansolas » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:23 pm

golemus wrote:I have said this many times but once again: there should be some solution that reduces the amount of up-down scrolling in arrangement view when working with large amount of tracks (like 50-70 tracks, etc..). I spend large portion of composing scrolling up/down searching for the track I need to work on next.

Studio One seems to have solved this pretty well.
+1

CarlSeleborg

Post by CarlSeleborg » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:44 pm

golemus wrote:Studio One seems to have solved this pretty well.
Hi golemus,

Could you tell us more about what you like there?

Thanks,

Carl

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:46 pm

+1

Pro Tools for the last 15 years
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:48 pm

You can just group some tracks and minimize the group to hide tracks, works just like folder tracks in other daws for this purpose.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:28 pm

:idea: ... and then hide the group...

golemus

Post by golemus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:50 am

CarlSeleborg wrote:
golemus wrote:Studio One seems to have solved this pretty well.
Hi golemus,

Could you tell us more about what you like there?

Thanks,

Carl
To be perfectly honest I don't have that many hours with Studio One that I could say 100% certain that it is working for me but it certainly appears a good solution

In Studio One you can define subsets of tracks as views. Lets say I define the following views: "BASSES", "KICK+MAINBASS+MAINLEAD", "KICK+ALTBASS+LEAD2", "KICK+MAINBASS+LEAD2", "KICK+MAINBASS+PADS".

Then when working I can move mousepointer to the lower part of the screen and with one mouseclick from drop-down menu choose a viewset. After doing this all other tracks disappear from the screen (at least from the mixer) except for tracks in viewset. It is then easy to concentrate on that subset of tracks.

Even simpler solution (although perhaps not for all scenarios) would be the ability to hide tracks. You could choose a track in ableton (or many tracks by holding down shift), then right click and choose "hide tracks". When doing this they disappear from the screen.

Then you would have in Options menu "show hidden tracks" option. When you choose it, all hidden tracks become visible (but with different color or somekind of transparency to distinguish them from unhidden tracks. When "show hidden tracks" option is selected and you right click a hidden track there would be option "unhide tracks".

I am sure that even this would reduce significantly the amount of unneccessary scrolling in arrangement (or session) view.

golemus

Post by golemus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 am

Tarekith wrote:You can just group some tracks and minimize the group to hide tracks, works just like folder tracks in other daws for this purpose.
I do it all the time. There is a few significant problems with it.

1. Often I would want to hide a subset of tracks inside a group but keep other tracks of the group visible. If I separate the tracks to different groups it will affect audio routing which I don't want to happen. Also the subset of tracks that I am working with changes all the time and I would spend large amount of time reorganizing tracks into different groups in different phases of work cycle. This is not how groups are intended to be used (at least in my view) but more for audio routing. And then if you have some processing in group track, or adjusted group volume and you forget to duplicate this processing into the new group the balance of your mix gets fucked up.

2. if you have very large amount of tracks inside a group the amount of space the group tracks consumes vertically in arrangement view becomes very large (even if you try to shrink it). I often have one group that contains all leads and it easily becomes almost 10cm high in my screen and in laptop that is lions share of screen estate.

CarlSeleborg

Post by CarlSeleborg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 am

I see, thanks golemus.

q3tommy

Post by q3tommy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:22 pm

hi, i post my featurewish in that topic cause i think it git here quite well. i use push, like it alot and am very happy with the overall function. one thing i really miss is an "hide" or "skip in push" - function for certain tracks. i got a lot of outboardgear that i use dedicated audiochannels to return in, very often i have to push the "next channel" - button on push about 5 times to get to my next relevant channel. think that function also makes sense of working in the box only, for example you definitly finished some ambientphrases in different channels and want to jam with 3 or 4 devices, activating an "skip in push" button for unnecessary channels would be great for that. looking forward to an answer,
greetings
thomas

q3tommy

Post by q3tommy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:45 pm

nobody of the push users feels the need for that feature as i do?

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 pm

I'd like to keep this on the top of the list. Hide/Show tracks and track virtual groups! Pro Tools does this, I wish Live would too.

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Pro Tools has a track list window. Would be nice to have a track list window in Live which you could click to navigate to a track, with double-clicking also making that track selected. Grouped tracks could be listed under the Group track and indented. Mute and Solo status could be shown in the list, plus whether the track has effects on it. There's probably other useful information that could be shown.
Garry Knight

fahrradrepariermann

Post by fahrradrepariermann » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:52 am

+1

+ vertical waveform zooming (like in Pro Tools)

rtcardinal

Post by rtcardinal » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:08 am

+1
Larger sessions get pretty busy, it would be great to be able to add some focus.