The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

eyeknow

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by eyeknow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:36 am

[img]http://temp_thoughts_resize.s3.amazonaws.com/e3/ef21d497efdc7be6b30f9c179278ed/Fallingforit.gif[/img]

I hope people find happiness with bitwig, but these threads are redunkufunny as hell.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:44 am

8O Whoa... What movie is that from???

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:53 am

I think it was a TV commercial. Trippy hun? :mrgreen:

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:54 am

Willyum wrote:8O Whoa... What movie is that from???
Oh hey, and a pre congrats on hitting a 1000 on your next post!

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24 am

eyeknow wrote:
Willyum wrote:8O Whoa... What movie is that from???
Oh hey, and a pre congrats on hitting a 1000 on your next post!
lol Thanx :mrgreen:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:55 pm

WE SO PROUD OF YOU

Everyone's chipping in a little something so you can have hookers and coke for the weekend.
ImageImage

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm

1000 posts

Joined in 2004

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:44 pm

haha! Definitely the best part of this thread!

pelsik

Post by pelsik » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:40 am

im not gonna lie i cant wait to test it

but almost certainly ableton will be better off years of experience vs the new guys.

but some of the basic, like super basic features honestly make me curious about it

1) cutting/splitting audio
2) internal 32/64 bit bridge (which is BIG for me)
3) opening multiple projects at once,

still in the air (not sure how i feel about it till i try)
1) multiple audio files in 1 clip in session view, which is something ive WISHED for, for a while, but after watching a demo i have a couple questions and doubts about how they have it

but their are a ton things in ableton that i know bitwig wont have that i like, ie audio to midi,M4L etc
and consider me the minority but i actually like the native ableton sounds especially in live 8 something bitwig can't replicate (im not even sure bitwig will have native sounds)
sidenote: ableton never released the legacy live 8 pack with full compatibility with 9 which they promised over a year ago but still haven't fullified :cry:

but back to the topic, when i first started using ableton i fell in love with the program (my first real daw) but after learning to use other daws, ive come to realize the extreme lack of features that has made me less in love. ableton is still my main because of the amazing work flow but it leaves a lot to be desired and bitwig honestly doesnt solve any of those problems at all either

1)no legitimate sub-mixing with aux buses..not the weak ableton group feature that you cant have groups within a group
1b) there arent even work arounds like "group track controls" for like volume and pan
(overall extremely limited for mixing)
2) ableton might honestly have one of the worst export settings of any daw and extremely limited is an understatement
2b) exporting the individual sounds in a drum rack/impluse and vst like battery as seperate tracks in a mass export, i have to send multi-track stems to professional engineers for mixing and i HATE, HATE having to go to every sound and soloing them to export them individually one at a time. (i would honestly consider switching for this feature alone if bitwig had it)

and i could go on naming ton of little features but by the looks of it bitwig wont have those features either. bitwig will have some cool features which id like to play with that ableton doesn't has but every daw has cool features that another doesn't but yet ive always stuck with ableton, unless it blows me away ill likely stay
Last edited by pelsik on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:12 am

There isn't any question that bitwig will be a welcome new addition to the party. I just don't have any real issues with live and until 10 comes out my investment it made. If I had a bunch of issues with live, then I'd be more eager.

I think live can match many of the features bitwig will have (in the not distant future I mean). I don't need the bridge, I run x64...period. I'd love for it to be like studio one and have more than one project open, that would be handy for sure.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:38 pm

I don't assume one is better or worse based on sentimental loyalty or even how long or short either has been on the market. These are justifications we make in our head to fend off the too good to be true feeling. And in some ways that is totally fine.

I'm completely impartial to all of this. I find all DAWs interesting. For me, it's just a minor inconvenience to imagine which one I'll dig into on any random day. That is if I even get Bitwig. I may try the demo. But these DAWs are stacking up like kitchen appliances.

Having been using iOS for a while on my phone, I've really gotten more accustomed to opening random programs, sketching little ideas, and having those ideas scattered amongst many apps instead of inside a primary software. This is probably a very inefficient way to do things haha.

su

Post by su » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:40 pm

pelsik wrote:2b) exporting the individual sounds in a drum rack/impluse and vst like battery as seperate tracks in a mass export, i have to send multi-track stems to professional engineers for mixing and i HATE, HATE having to go to every sound and soloing them to export them individually one at a time. (i would honestly consider switching for this feature alone if bitwig had it)
You might want to start a new thread on this, but if you're doing a separate export for each sound that's unecessary. All the drum synths you've named have multi out capability and when set up properly, exporting separate drum sounds as separate tracks in one step, while you're rendering down all your other tracks is a breeze. See for example, routing impulse voices to separate audio channels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M_6VZ8AcdE

Logan.mccallum

Post by Logan.mccallum » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:15 am

Does it bother anyone else that there are former Ableton developers working for Bitwig? Instead of sticking around and helping to eliminate the bugs we all know and hate, and/or improving features (there are some neat tricks up Bitwigs' sleeve, no doubt about it) they ditched Ableton to start Bitwig. So now Ableton isn't as good as it could be and there's ANOTHER digital audio workstation. We don't need another one, we need the ones we have to work better. With all the release delays I can't imagine that Bitwig 1.0 is going to be bugfree either. Personally Bitwig is going to have to be unquestionably superior in every way before I'll even consider using it, based on principal alone.

daddytang

Post by daddytang » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:19 am

the problem is abes wont listen to customers.the Devs at bitwig heard the call and acted. demand and supply. economics...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:20 am

@Logan: You are not the first one to bring that up. Personally that doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is it took 26 months from when THEY THEMSELVES said "in beta"

If bitwig was a live killer, I'd more interested but as was said on another forum by another member "that ship has long since sailed"

When live went x64 I demoed the snot out of it. It gelled, now it's what I use and I have a rather embarrassing amount of money invested in it for the level of musician I am and my age :lol: