Adding Music Scales

Discuss Push with other users.
Division Monarchy

Adding Music Scales

Post by Division Monarchy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:21 pm

I am trying to add some scales to Push & made an edit to the consts.py file found on GitHub. When I place that file in the MIDI Remote Scripts folder, Push no longer has any functionality. Of course I made a copy beforehand of the files.

I know little to nothing about Python. Why are the files included called pyc & the files on GitHub py? What is the difference? I was using TextEdit to add some scales, is this the wrong program to use? I changed nothing in the py file except for adding a few scales in the proper place. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else succeeded in doing this?

I used the resources & info from the following:
http://julienbayle.net/ableton-push/#usermode
https://github.com/gluon/AbletonLive9_R ... aster/Push

Buleriachk

Re: Adding Music Scales

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:58 pm

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am

-
Last edited by TomViolenz on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Thank you for your responses... The instructions are great. The problem is Live will not create a pyc file no matter how many times I reboot, restart, or enable/disable ports... Sometimes technology just needs a hammer taken to it... This stuff is very user unfriendly sometimes.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:36 pm

Make sure you have closed your folders and deleted the previous .pyc file.. Set all Push Midi parameters in Push Midi preferences to "none". Turn the push and the computer off. Restart the computer and Live, and then enable the Push Midi preferences ... then turn Push on...

(I have found the key to triggering to be unpredictable, and I have tried many things, but always eventually managed to get it to work (once I deleted and reinstalled the whole Push Remote Script to get it working again, and then erased .pyc file, restarted Live, and it worked.... so there is some trial and error involved - and you can even try re-installing Live to get the original back if you have to...)
Division Monarchy wrote:Thank you for your responses... The instructions are great. The problem is Live will not create a pyc file no matter how many times I reboot, restart, or enable/disable ports... Sometimes technology just needs a hammer taken to it... This stuff is very user unfriendly sometimes.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:03 pm

can you make scale patterns that repeat over 2 octaves?

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 pm

The scales work exactly as the predefined ones in Push (you can use the transpose buttons)

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:27 pm

I appreciate all your help Buleriachk... Unfortunately, none of this works for me... I've tried several times. I've tried placing just the consts.py in with the others after removing the consys.pyc, I've tried placing all py files in while removing all the pyc files... I think for all the stuff Push is capable of, Ableton offers some pretty horrible support in terms of maximizing its use... I just wish I knew what, if anything I am doing wrong, because the answers I'm getting are pretty simple.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:53 pm

-
Last edited by TomViolenz on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Tom - I agree with you, but no reason to be snarky; I can really understand his frustration. Changing Ableton's scales really should be easier (like a foolproof utility, well documented). and certainly better implemented (e.g. making the chord root independent of the scale root). This can be done in ClyphX, though; I'm now just trying to figure out if it makes sense....

(I do think Ableton can be improved in the way scales are applied in Push, but they probably don't do much Flamenco, either.... :)

That said, Push is pretty good for me, now that I see the "Gypsy Minor" scale is actually the E* Phrygian mode (my terminology, but then I'm Flamenco) ...

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:33 pm

I used the files from here

I modified the consts.py file using TextWrangler & put it with the pyc files.

Sorry if I sound annoyed, but I was having very high hopes of getting to add my own scales & have been trying for 2 days with no results, especially considering the process really doesn't seem so complicated the way it has been explained... But I do think with all the potential Push does have, Ableton should offer more support to unlock it all... With this being a musical platform, I would think the ability to freely add scales would accommodate musicians more than coders...

Don't get me wrong, I love this program & Push, I'm just frustrated that it seems like one has to be a computer programmer more than a musician to really get the most out of some of these things, like M4L being a great example of that. No disrespect to coders out there, I just wish I had their abilities :wink:

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Try using Notepad++ directly in the folder; editing the file and saving it there. Make sure the name of the consts.py file is not capitalized (I found that editing the file outside the folder didn't work for me).

FWIW, I am using Win64 Pro, x64, so YMMV.... again, check the link in my first response...
Division Monarchy wrote:I used the files from here

I modified the consts.py file using TextWrangler & put it with the pyc files.

Sorry if I sound annoyed, but I was having very high hopes of getting to add my own scales & have been trying for 2 days with no results, especially considering the process really doesn't seem so complicated the way it has been explained... But I do think with all the potential Push does have, Ableton should offer more support to unlock it all... With this being a musical platform, I would think the ability to freely add scales would accommodate musicians more than coders...

Don't get me wrong, I love this program & Push, I'm just frustrated that it seems like one has to be a computer programmer more than a musician to really get the most out of some of these things, like M4L being a great example of that. No disrespect to coders out there, I just wish I had their abilities :wink:

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:05 pm

I am not finding Notepad++ for OS X, so I think I'm stuck with other editors... I'm a little confused by what you mean when you say editing inside or outside the folder. The only file in the Push folder is an un-editable pyc, so wouldn't everything be edited outside the folder?

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Division Monarchy wrote:I am not finding Notepad++ for OS X, so I think I'm stuck with other editors... I'm a little confused by what you mean when you say editing inside or outside the folder. The only file in the Push folder is an un-editable pyc, so wouldn't everything be edited outside the folder?
Copy the .py source file to the folder, edit, and save it there; then exit the editor, delete the .pyc file and exit the folder ... (I have notepad++ in the folder as well)

I'm out of suggestions, since I'm a Win7 guy....

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:47 pm

It seems like I've tried that but I'll give it a go... Right now Push is not even showing up in the MIDI ports even after restoring everything...