Recording Push Drums in Arrangement Mode - issue / idea!

Discuss Push with other users.
cosmod

Recording Push Drums in Arrangement Mode - issue / idea!

Post by cosmod » Fri May 10, 2013 4:09 pm

We had a Push issue that came up in a studio session recently. 

While in Session Mode, we armed the Arrangement Record button at the screen with the intent to 'capture everything', including live drum pad playing alongside clip playback.  The problem was that while we were recording to Arrangement, we couldn't play anything live while our clip was playing unless we were recording to the clip.  

Ultimately, I feel we should be able to play 'thru' the clip to record the Arrangement, even while the clip is playing back.  

I'll upload a video to show you what i mean:

http://youtu.be/eV-kisHV0dQ

As long as we aren't recording to Arrangement, we can riff on our drum loops however we want.  But when we are recording to Arrangement, we are basically prevented from playing anything live.  Only when we start recording to the Clip itself (or stop recording to the Arrangement) we can play sounds again.

But what if we want to record our riffing an open-ended phrase over a two-measure clip?  What if we don't want to loop everything we're playing into a clip, only capture it as a long-form linear idea?  What if, in our case, we want to improvise a full drumbeat to a session that's already been sequenced and flow with the sequence?    Duplicating the phrase and making new clips seems an inefficient methodology compared to just capturing it neatly in Arrangent via the tried-and-true 'Arrangement Record' button.  

lyovino

Re: Recording Push Drums in Arrangement Mode - issue / idea!

Post by lyovino » Fri May 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Can't you just drag the clip/'s into the arrange and record/jam your new parts?
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

cosmod

Post by cosmod » Fri May 10, 2013 10:55 pm

@lyovino

While recording, we aim to overdub live midi input using Push's drum pads alongside building up our clips using the Push's drum sequencer. We're trying to do a drum machine "live take"- no mouse movement ought to be involved.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat May 11, 2013 8:30 am

Sorry, maybe I'm not fully understanding exactly what you are trying to do.. The vid really didn't explain.
I just did a test and armed both the Session and Arrange simultaneously and was able to record to a new clip while the arrange was recording another clip playing back and my new input as well.. ?
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

cosmod

Post by cosmod » Tue May 14, 2013 2:45 am

where your drum pads lighting up in red when you were pressing the Push? Everything was enabled? What about overdub?

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Tue May 14, 2013 2:55 am

cosmod wrote:where your drum pads lighting up in red when you were pressing the Push? Everything was enabled? What about overdub?
Sorry cosmod, I don't recall and to be honest I had to return my Push for an exchange.
Looks like I have to wait for Push all over again, nothing serious just a blemish that I wasn't comfortable with.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

matthewvenn

Post by matthewvenn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm stuck on this too. Can anyone help?
live 9.1 & push

eyecompellya

Post by eyecompellya » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:36 am

options>MIDI arrangement overdub

cosmod

Post by cosmod » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:59 pm

options>MIDI arrangement overdub
That doesn't make a difference if you're also trying to play live in the Clip / Note mode in Push.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Yep Cosmod, you're right.
Are you member of the beta forum ? If so you should submit a bug report.
If not, just tell me and I'll do it.
But I have the feeling that this is not a bug. I think it might be something about the relation between the 2 views and their BTA/BTS paradigm.

S.Rueckwardt

Post by S.Rueckwardt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:06 am

Hi, I try the same ..
I will directly record in the Arrangement,and Push stay at the same time in Note mode and
I trigger a Drumrack sounds on a armed track and a clip is playing ..

is not possible in Ableton..??
So I think...
Or any option ..thx

Mfg S.R.

elzinko

Post by elzinko » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:19 pm

hi!
valiumdupeuple, did you submit a bug report on that subject?
i am in the same situation and i am curious about ableton reply.
if you didn't i will submit one if you dont care.
bye

jackson88

Post by jackson88 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:39 am

this is an serious issue !! i think its just weird that this hasn't been an issue for live musicians who want to record their LIVE session into arrangements.
this issue isnt only with drums or with the Push but also occurs while using instruments with a midi keyboard. there is no way to overdub over an existing loop while recording to arrangement view.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:04 am

dont understand what your problem is.........you press record in arrrrangment,,,,it starts recorfding....you go to sesion track, record a clip....it starts playing.....now press midi overdub yellow button with plus-sign on it....then you can record into the clip over the existing notes...meanwhile...in arrenmengt, all the notes are being recorded, the ones your playing live and the ones freom clip that you already recorded.

huh

if youre complaining that you cant record a new clip while the old clip is playing, well no, you can only play one clip from one track at a time....

jackson88

Post by jackson88 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:01 am

did you see the video he posted? you cant overdub unless you have session record ON. so if its not turned ON you will not be able to play any pads or a midi keyboard. so your actually stuck recording to the existing loop that is being played. ther is no way to overdub directly over a loop that is being played like when the record to arrangement is not turned on.