The Personal computer, becoming a niche item

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Samuel L. Jizzle

Re: The Personal computer, becoming a niche item

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:57 pm

So defining is as defining does.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:15 am

Pfffft

For every house that is missing their computer there are others like me who have 10 of the damned things and couldn't imagine replacing these with tablets.

I was discussing this same fact on the weekend with some mates. We are all avid gamers but use purely PCs to game because they offer more flexibility and are easier to keep up to date longer than a console plus support larger amounts of hardware.

I grew up with the PC boom of the 90s and watched it go from almost no computers in homes or even schools to almost every family owning a PC by the early 2000s. I use tablets and gaming consoles but I often use my tablet just to lookup things online or control the house or media center.

Consoles and tablets are appealing for their "always/instant on" usage and the way they just work so to speak. But these things become obselete much quicker and really push you to upgrade the whole thing instead of just the components. Your average person who really just wants an easy way to get online and watch a few videos is happy to get swept along with this and upgrade their device every 2 years without question.

I just built a new top of the line PC after almost 5 years. It should give me a good 5 years solid work and the old machine is still in perfect working order and has now become my second in command and has taken over my gaming system which is now a spare machine and second gaming machine. I had the CHOICE as to where I wanted to place my money as to what was important to MY needs. I chose powerful CPU, silent cooling and lots of RAM with future upgrades to add SSD. I upgraded video in my older machine to get it up to gaming standards and viola, all these are better than the latest Xbox or PS4 and running 5yo hardware with a few new pieces. Hookup to a 50" TV and plugin a couple of controllers and you are done. One day it's a music production rig, next it's a gaming system.

I'm lucky because I can make computers work how I want them too and a single machine can do all these things for me. Because I am quite technical I get a lot of people thinking I know everything about every tablet and computer system out there and from what I can decipher people these days are probably more confused as to what to get than ever. I'm always being asked if it's better to get a computer or a tablet. Desktop or Laptop. PC or MAC or Android. So much choice and many choose the cheaper option with the most appeal (marketing). The choice is often down to tablets which is then iPad or "Android" because that is what advertising has conditioned. The funny thing is that many I speak with in regards to Android based tablets believe the tablet is called an "android" and these are made by Samsung.

If you think about it. In just 20 years we have gone from no one being connected to anything, through the PC boom, to almost everyone being connected almost all the time to something. It's been interesting watching all that.

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03 am

TomViolenz wrote:
jestermgee wrote:
If you think about it. In just 20 years we have gone from no one being connected to anything, through the PC boom, to almost everyone being connected almost all the time to something. It's been interesting watching all that.
Yeah, we are living in the interesting times the Chinese speak of in their famous curse!

The always connected future of humanity may one day turn out to be a good thing (after the people managed to claim the internet and their privacy back), until then though, expect it to be the downfall of the civilization we live in.
Please, it's a symptom, not a cause.

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Judeo-Bolshevism. Obviously. :lol:

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:47 pm

One endless "debate" at a time, my young padawan.

njh

Post by njh » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:28 pm

1. I personally know of 0 percent of households who DONT own a computer. I doubt that cable man is conducting a real scientific census. He, like most people lately, is just throwing out a B.S. figure . I.E. '99.999 percent of people like blah blah blah' 'There is a 99.999999999 chance of blah blah blah happening' *COUGH* BULLSHIT *COUGH*

2. I don't create content I create art. Content is an overused vague term that can mean anything. dirt is content, fries are content, coffee creamer is content.

I remember back in the 90s everything was called Multi Medea which was a lazy way of categorizing all media. Now people have gotten even lazier and just call it content. Why not take it to the next level and call all art and everything else stuff.