Gee, I wonder who designed this website...?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sporkles

Gee, I wonder who designed this website...?

Post by sporkles » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:37 pm

https://www.lafraise.com/gallery/new

Looks kiiiiind of familiar.

ttilberg

Re: Gee, I wonder who designed this website...?

Post by ttilberg » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:14 pm

Lol. I can't wait until the next ableton website design. It was fun trying to re-find this link:

Now that we've all given up on the sanctity of Ableton.com pre October 2012, they really should redesign their site again.

Perhaps that will be their big marketing reveal to kill the news for Bitwig tomorrow---

Bitwig is released: Weee.
Ableton.com is redesigned again: ZOMGWTFQQ

They could hire the Dr. Drum designers...
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:46 pm

It just works.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:55 pm

That layout is pretty common these days, the Huuuuge header image with a few words on it. It's saying "look, we are have a Modern & Responsive design, it stretches about, wheee!!!"

The main problem is they are all show, it's not real. If the purpose of "responsive" is to deliver appropriate content to the different devices in different contexts. So - Why serve up giant header images to every platform? The Ableton homepage alone makes 2.5 MB of requests. Visit the Push Page and get another 5MB. I hope your cellular provider has a good data plan!.

Hell, that's all fine if you are setting out to make a full-on full-fat animated blockbuster of a site for desktops, but if the originating intent is "we are making a Modern Responsive Site suitable for mobile devices", then what the hell is really going on here?

As a size guide, this very page you are on, this ancient "non-responsive" old clunker, weighs in at 32k. That's 160 times smaller than the Push page.

Now of course, it's false equivalence. This forum page is not a showcase of information a product. But that front page was designed to serve mobile devices.

I can tell you what really happens:

Designer is seduced by a list of technologies: Ajax, @Media queries for layout, webfonts, and a set of Design Fashions. He/She then sells them to a client as if they meet a particular client need. "Responsive will help your customers".

The designer then constructs a cutting edge site for other designers to coo over. Witness my cool use of asynchronous loading! Did you see how I used Ruby On rails!?

Now.
Wait 12 months. Obtain new cool techniques.
rinse, repeat

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:13 pm

^that.

here's to hoping the next 12 months is less fleshy than the last!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:11 am

Huh. Just goes to show how out-of-touch I am with current web trends. I guess it's easier than ever to succumb to copying popular layouts: I guess I'm not alone in never actually "discovering" new websites any longer, in the sense that you actually return to a site you stumble upon. I read news, visit this forum, and that's pretty much it. :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:57 pm

squarespace.com

:x

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:35 am

sporkles wrote:https://www.lafraise.com/gallery/new

It loads 54 JavaScript plugins in the document head. Fifty four.

8O

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:31 am

smutek wrote:
sporkles wrote:https://www.lafraise.com/gallery/new

It loads 54 JavaScript plugins in the document head. Fifty four.

8O
i looked at the site before, when the thread started... but after reading your post i thought "whoa" and decided to click the link again to try to wrap my head around it... why 54?

this is what i got:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

:lol:

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:43 pm

:D

Looks like it's back up now - they pulled all of the script calls out, now there's just one minified js file linked.