Ableton live 9 concept help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sonomaholiday

Ableton live 9 concept help

Post by sonomaholiday » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:23 pm

First - I'm new to this program - I use protools - but want to start integrating ableton in a live situation.

I've read tons of posts here and many manuals - and I have found some what MUST be work arounds for a few things I want to do - but cannot find out how to go from scene to scene automatically. I have figured out how to trigger a scene after 4 bars ( you have to create blank scenes underneath the ones you have created so everything is filled or this doesn't work - why this must be a work around as it's goofy ) bit I cannot just tell it to - play the intro once . Go to next section- play twice - then wait for me to trigger next section and wait. 8 beats so I can cue the band - then blah blah blah

I'm
Still learning some of the scene and tracks concepts - it's not easy - bit I
Do need help on how to have some scenes repeat the chsnge and other scenes wait for me to tell it to change -

Is this possible ? And can someone point me in the right direction on how to accomplish this. ?

Thank you
Sonomaholiday

ttilberg

Re: Ableton live 9 concept help

Post by ttilberg » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Yes, all of those things you mentioned are actually quite easy. Have you looked at Follow Actions yet?

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/launching-clips/
Starting at Section 13.6

If you're still lost in the sauce, let's break it down a little bit, and sort each piece. Repost with exactly what you want to have happen.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

ark

Post by ark » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

ttilberg wrote:Yes, all of those things you mentioned are actually quite easy. Have you looked at Follow Actions yet?
Follow actions work on clips, not scenes. As far as I know, there is no direct way to trigger a particular scene at a particular time, though I imagine it can be done with Max for Live or ClyphX.

And before you try to tell me that I can achieve the same effect as triggering a scene by triggering each clip in the scene, allow me to point out that triggering a scene can change the tempo and/or time signature.

sonomaholiday

Post by sonomaholiday » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:00 pm

First - thank you both for the info - second - I do not know much about this program to tell you anything ! It seems as if one of you says it can be done - one of you says it cannot. I have fooled with the follow actions box and couldn't get if to do much - so - basically - I have to tell it with a mouse or a foot pedal to go to next scene. All I have is the option of having it wait x amount of beats first.

I cannot play the first scene only once then go to the next scene - play it twice then oh to the next scene ? I have to manually do this?

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:10 am

Well, triggering a scene still fires off follow actions. It might not be ideal for every situation, as you pointed out, but certainly it's pretty workable. You are right hat it's not hitting tempo changes, and time signature changes, but those requirements weren't brought up in the original question.

Sonomaholiday, you could do that by setting all of the clips in that's scene to have the appropriate follow actions, for instance, set the play next delay to 4 measures worth of beats, and go across each clip to whatever is appropriate for the sizes of clips. You can also insert blank clips and variations, he follow actions are pretty powerful. It might look a little different, or maybe won't work at all with your situation in particular, but in general you should be able to make something work. It might also be worth mentioning to you that you can change your global quantize, which will allow you to manually press a trigger, but have it delayed in longer (4 bar? 8 bar?) increments.

If you want some more direct help, feel free to hit me up on skype: ttilberg
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5