Triggering A Sequence with a Drum Pad… Help?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ProudWine

Triggering A Sequence with a Drum Pad… Help?

Post by ProudWine » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:16 am

Ok, so basically I have a single drum pad I dug out of the closet and I clipped it onto my hi-hat stand… Yay :mrgreen: . Now I'm wondering since If I have it hooked up via midi to my computer and am getting one note, how would I for instance trigger an already made clip note by note to get a sequential sequence? I've tried this sort of thing with a friend who had a Sequential Circuits Pro-One with an audio in (or maybe trig-in :? ). When he created a sequence on the synth i hooked up the output of the kick mic into the input of the synth and every time I would hit the kick a note would trigger from the synth's sequencer. How would I go about doing this sort of thing using a midi pad and ableton instrument with a pre-made clip? Any help would be greatly received… Thanks

yur2die4

Re: Triggering A Sequence with a Drum Pad… Help?

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:25 am

Slice a drum clip.

Put the 'Random' midi fx device before it.

And before Random maybe 'Transpose' to make sure your initial note triggered is the appropriate one.

Set Random to sequentially step up in semitones. Now it will trigger each slice one at a time and then repeat.

ProudWine

Post by ProudWine » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:24 am

Thank you for your reply. I find this somewhat limiting though just to trigger samples. I was thinking of having programming different commands to soft synths with clyphx but using some type of command to trigger the notes in multiple midi clips with different synths on different tracks. I'm wondering if this can be accomplished outside of a plug-in. Could anything like this can be accomplished?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 am

+Do you have M4L? I have a device I've been working on where it began solely for that purpose and then expanded on it and added some advanced tools. It just needs some polishing. I do have a simpler earlier version I could send you if you have M4L.

The technique is known as 'Round Robin'
ImageImage

ProudWine

Post by ProudWine » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:28 am

I use M4L. I would really like to try it out! :mrgreen:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:20 am

Given that a newer version of this will be out soon, I'm not going to invest too much time supporting this. But, there is this 'manual' included.

When you 'Slice To Midi', you can use the 'Normal' mode to ascend through notes on each press.

You can also manually step sequence through one of your midi clips. Press the green 'Normal' swithc to orange and it says 'Clip'.
Then hit 'Extract', then click on your midi clip of choice. You might have to do it twice.
You'll want to put this device before your 'Sliced to Midi' Sampler if you're using 'Normal' mode or put an instrument after it for Clip mode.
You can also put each one in a drum rack cell and have each one trigger different sequences/instruments, as in literally putting your VST/AU in each drum rack cell and having this device before it and assigning a midi clip to step seqeunce through it, so basically you can step sequence your scenes just by using the drum rack.
This is actually a huge potential to be a game changer for finger drummers, and I'm not just trying to hype it.
This supports midi notes or CC's. You can have any note trigger it (fine for drum racks), or just one note trigger it, or a range of notes to trigger it (good for midi drumkit where you want to bang on the drum set and make it look like you're playing something complicated)
I almost released it and realized I missed out on a huge element that would've made it stupid to release it as it is, but you asked for it:) This is a teaser.

I will reiterate that there is a lot of power using one for each cell in a drum rack to trigger through different sequences.
You can assign a device to each instrument you already have set up and literally step-sequence through your scenes, bringing back the 'live' element.
With the 'Auto-Reset' feature, you can create new patterns by playing between different sequences, like 2 different bass lines.

You can download it here. If you find it beneficial, please consider making a donation.

Also, it looks funky because I originally just wanted to test out skinning functionality. I'm not a graphic designer, but I like to play around every now and then.
Cool if you don't mind the looks/schemes here, but the newer version is more conservative to 'play nice' with the recommended guidelines.
ImageImage