The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

CFM

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by CFM » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Had a little play with it last night. The GUI was nice, devices and effects fine but nothing out of the ordinary. At the moment there is nothing there exceptional, that is want or miss, in Live that would make me part with £300.

Tympanic

Post by Tympanic » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:55 pm

!

to anyone having audio crackles / dropouts:

:arrow:
define an input within the audio preference tab.
dropouts: gone

thats a known bug and will be fixed!

cheers
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

>v< - that´s the question today

...the work of production is reduction...

some music

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:11 pm

And just like that—poof—the distortion was gone.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:53 pm

MacProVideo just released 3 tutorial series for Bitwig. A good opportunity if you are a subscriber and are messing with the demo.

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/bi ... pplication

Personally I'm going to pass without even messing with the demo. Anything short of mass rave reviews stopped my interest because I don't need it or the expense. Maybe when it matures.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Bitwigtutorials.com should have all the tutorials I need to know verything about the revolution in DAWs.
And I bet I can learn it all in one easy hour!
ImageImage

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:34 pm

shadx312 wrote:Bitwigtutorials.com should have all the tutorials I need to know verything about the revolution in DAWs.
The guy that runs that site is an official spokesperson for Bitwig.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:50 pm

It’s kind of painful watching the Ableton forum hatred spew on Funken being carried over to other sites. :x

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Sonic Academy Bitwig tutorials (for free i think) here:

http://www.sonicacademy.com/Training+Vi ... re.cid6568

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:29 pm

After playing with it for a few hours last night finally ended up just uninstalling it. I liked the no need to route midi for arps and such, but the lack of all other routing options just drove me insane. Everytime i wanted to route something i just kept thinking how i could have done this in 2 seconds in live.

As someone else mentioned the horizontal scrolling also got to me, maybe I should try with some shortcuts as well but I really think its their default action of jumping to the beginning of a device chain after deleting the last one that was killing me

I did like the context menu for effects, would be nice if it was extended out to vsts as well, then again dropping from a browser aint that hard. there are some other little niceties like that though

In any case, has tons of potential, but Im not spending 400$ on potential. Maybe once all the routing features and grouping are in place Ill come back to it, and even then maybe during a sale period. IMHO 400$ for a v1 daw competing against something more mature that I already own is basically a no sale, especially with no mention of upgrade paths later since v2 is when alot of the exciting stuff is supposed to come (though who knows how far out that is). Had this been 200$ then maybe I would have considered it, good luck to the wigs though

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:29 pm

kb420 wrote:
shadx312 wrote:Bitwigtutorials.com should have all the tutorials I need to know verything about the revolution in DAWs.
The guy that runs that site is an official spokesperson for Bitwig.
You are saying they hired Funken to be their "official spokesperson".?

This is like saying YOU are Abletons official spokesperson.

panten

Post by panten » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:35 pm

There is definitely something shillastic about his behaviour on the KVR forum.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Angstrom wrote:You are saying they hired Funken to be their "official spokesperson".?

This is like saying YOU are Abletons official spokesperson.
Bitwig didn't hire Funken. I think he appointed himself that position. :roll:
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:41 pm

panten wrote:There is definitely something shillastic about his behaviour on the KVR forum.
But it seems to pretty much mirror what he did here. Seems to be his modus operandi that he is basically attracted to the newest shiny thing, purports to beta test and create tutorials in order to get a free copy. Seems to get very attached to whatever he is using at the moment, when its been obvious from his posts here and there that he didnt even completely understand how to use live, which is disconcerting when one claims to be a pro and create tutorials for others to use. Me being a hobbyist and using it randomly seems to have picked up more tricks than he has creating all these tutorials

CFM

Post by CFM » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:48 pm

ezelkow1 you are right - it has potential but to pay out £300 on potential is a steep price to pay. If the post version 1 promises were implemented then £300 would be a fair price, but currently it's not worth the money.

Certainly, will not tempted most Live or users of other DAWS to change. I'd be happy to pay £99 for it and see how it developed.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:22 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:
panten wrote:There is definitely something shillastic about his behaviour on the KVR forum.
But it seems to pretty much mirror what he did here. Seems to be his modus operandi that he is basically attracted to the newest shiny thing, purports to beta test and create tutorials in order to get a free copy. Seems to get very attached to whatever he is using at the moment, when its been obvious from his posts here and there that he didnt even completely understand how to use live, which is disconcerting when one claims to be a pro and create tutorials for others to use. Me being a hobbyist and using it randomly seems to have picked up more tricks than he has creating all these tutorials
I really like his tactics in the KVR PDC thread.

Poster: there is a problem. this is how I proved it...
Him: nu uh, 3 months blahzae skippy blah.