I've made a bootleg remix, but Soundcloud keeps removing it.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chris-P

I've made a bootleg remix, but Soundcloud keeps removing it.

Post by Chris-P » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:32 am

Technically this is music related, but not production wise. I just really need some help here.

Today I finished a remix of Ragga Bomb Ft.Ragga twins By Skrillex. I went to upload it and soundcloud removed it for copyright. I searched up on how to perhaps bypass this, and there were suggestions about fading the intro, adding silence at the beginning. None of these seem to work.

I went to Skrillex's page, and for some reason his entire Recess album has been removed, perhaps for the same reason. What really agitates me though Is by their rules, I can't justify uploading it. Using the reason "Other people have their remixes up" Is apparently not a valid reason, because they might, MIGHT, have confirmation to do so. Even though I believe that's bullshit. Hell, there are even people with the entire original mix up on their profile, and it hasn't been taken down. As well as other remixes, that really aren't even all that different from the original.

If anyone could help me with this I would be utterly grateful.

cstump

Re: I've made a bootleg remix, but Soundcloud keeps removing it.

Post by cstump » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:10 am

Most likely a copyright holder flagged it with a keyword prior to your initial upload or it was flagged shortly afterward. They don't have to prove any thing just the word remix will bring in the heat.

It's tough world for you guys(and gals) but it is one of the pitfalls of the genre.
Quote:"There's a Bitwig thread born every second"

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:16 am

No, it's not tagging or titles. They appear to have content recognition technology (similar to Shazam, I expect)

http://blog.soundcloud.com/2011/01/05/q ... on-system/

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:31 am

The Finn wrote:No, it's not tagging or titles. They appear to have content recognition technology
Audible Magic - Automatic Content Recognition (ACR)

cstump

Post by cstump » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:39 am

Well that makes it even tougher... I imagine they have that in small print in the user agreement when you sign up for an account as a CTA(Cover Their A$$) clause.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:49 am

It's outrageous to expect an artist to share music that is completely their own creation. How would you ever get discovered if you can't piggyback off of some other well established producer's music?

Post by re:dream » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:59 am

beats me wrote:It's outrageous to expect an artist to share music that is completely their own creation. How would you ever get discovered if you can't piggyback off of some other well established producer's music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:22 am

The only real way around that is to not use services such as soundcloud and get some of your own online space to do what you wish. I have a couple of remixes still hanging on Soundcloud BUT they would not pass an auto recognition because they have been significantly changed.

If you have shazam or sound hound or something see if it picks your track at all. If it does, change it more, you ain't mixed the ingredients long enough.

Post by re:dream » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:30 am

I think remixes are a legitimate form of musical creativity. Some of my favourite pieces of music are in fact 'unofficial' remixes of other people's music, e.g Deepfunk's unofficial remix of gus gus's Selfoss, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grzt5qeSwoo which I like way more than any of the official remixes. Or Max Cooper's remix of I feel Cream by Peaches 8O But they are not available on soundcloud or beatport, more's the pity.

cstump

Post by cstump » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:25 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
The Finn wrote:I think remixes are a legitimate form of musical creativity. Some of my favourite pieces of music are in fact 'unofficial' remixes of other people's music, e.g Deepfunk's unofficial remix of gus gus's Selfoss, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grzt5qeSwoo which I like way more than any of the official remixes. Or Max Cooper's remix of I feel Cream by Peaches 8O But they are not available on soundcloud or beatport, more's the pity.
I'm still critical of the situation. Shouldn't the people who make great remixes like this, have access to stems from the original tracks and get some sort of clearence from the original artist?!

I can understand that people feel that this sort of official colaboration is not happening often enough, and not accesible enough to young producers. Much could be done there!

But let's be honest here, most of these remixes on Soundcloud are half-assed DJ sets with lousy transitions, that sully the name of the original artist, serve as a means to not have to pay him for his work and make Soundcloud way less usefull.

If anyone would like to make a remix of my work, they should have to ask me for permission, so that I can acertain quality before it gets out and to make sure everyone involved gets his fair share.

Alternatively, I could decide to release/sell the stems as a seperate download and declare by this that remixing my work is free for all.
Being one who believes in music creation i.e. actually compose and actually "Play" and perform on an Instrument I can agree with your premise.Remix is built basically on others peoples work and understood as such and is kinda a performance art in line with "todays" new sound scene(lousy DJ's included). As such there will always have this issue wherever they post their product(made with other peoples product).

In this day and age of the Interwebs, the more they expose themselves the easier it will be that they be caught with these tools or flagged... once again a pitfall of the genre.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:31 pm

I think that this post has the wrong titel!

It should have been:

"I've stealing others bootlegs and did a remix of it, but Soundcloud keeps moving it".

Offcourse you cant and shouldnt expect anything else! You got NO rights to it and its not your work, dont forget that! :evil:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Post by 102455 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:00 pm

Send it to Skrillex.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:49 pm

Blahblahblah.

All i can say is that most of the music i listen to nowadays on Soundcloud ist indeed at least 50% (bootleg) remixes.Remixes have become so common, that it is one of the ususal ways nowadays to get recognition as a producer - do some remixes, get a following, then realease some 100 % original stuff.

I think it's perfectly legit as long as due credits are given.

A perfect example would be Chloe Martini, who first did unoffical remixes on Soundcloud which now has led to official remixes for the likes of Janelle Monae etc.

Like it or not, it's (one) way to make yourself a name out there and as long as it's done in a creative way and credits are given i don't see where the problem is.Reality is, most of these bootleg remixes don't earn any money anyway and i'd think most of people that indeed do make money with it are so wise to share it with the original creator.

And i think to insist to be first contacted and asked for permission in order to check the "quality" of a remixer is sooo 90s.Who are you to decide on the quality of someone ? How should people improve their skills if everytime they would have to ask for permission and approval when trying something new ? Do you know how many new, interesting sub genres wouldn't even exist if ppl have had to ask for permission first ?

As said, as long as no one is hurt financially (or no money is made anyway) i think there's no reason to get all diva about someone remixing your stuff.