Is Linkedin now THE premier social network?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Is Linkedin now THE premier social network?

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Over the past couple months I’ve been getting a lot of invites to friend (or what the fuck ever it’s called on there) on both my work and personal email.

I guess I at least see some career value to the site, but even though I don’t work in fast food or retail I hardly see my current job as something I want to advertise or share with the world, but I know some people in my position do just that. Is being on linkedin now essential to future employment opportunities of all levels? Are that many people really constantly looking for a new job or are people just reflexively joining any and all social/career networks out there? Is this another extension of the new American culture where nothing is more important than career and its associated value?

Angstrom

Re: Is Linkedin now THE premier social network?

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:47 pm

In my day-job (Rectal Reconstructive Therapist) a Linked in account is the sign you have arrived.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:37 pm

I think LinkedIn's settings can sometimes call people to auto-invite everyone on their email list. One reason why I closed my account. It is the most useless network I have ever encountered. Most of my friends work freelance, and all of them are on Linkedin and NONE of them get their work through it.

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:42 pm

The Finn wrote:I think LinkedIn's settings can sometimes call people to auto-invite everyone on their email list. One reason why I closed my account. It is the most useless network I have ever encountered. Most of my friends work freelance, and all of them are on Linkedin and NONE of them get their work through it.
How much work have they gotten through Pinterest?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 pm

What's Pinterest?

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:38 pm

It's a chick thing. :x

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Linkedin is a load of spunky old toss. I was on it for about a month many years ago and it took me about six months of shouty emails and jumping through hoops to get them to finally close my account

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Soooo it is a social network that people just reflexively join and then it mines their personal contacts and sends them emails that makes them think the site is more active/important than it actually is.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:40 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:Soooo it is a social network that people just reflexively join and then it mines their personal contacts and sends them emails that makes them think the site is more active/important than it actually is.
Didn't you just describe every social network?!
Ha! Yeah.

I was just thinking I should seriouosly look for a new job in the next 2-5 years or I’m going to be hitting that old man ceiling where I’ll only be able to find a job as a greeter at the Marts. :x

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:50 pm

i got my current job through linkedin. i basically never go on, just occasionally to respond to invites, but my current boss recruited me on there. also, i think i was recruited on there previously for a job that i turned down. so, its not completely useless, apparently.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:56 pm

memes_33 wrote:i got my current job through linkedin. i basically never go on, just occasionally to respond to invites, but my current boss recruited me on there. also, i think i was recruited on there previously for a job that i turned down. so, its not completely useless, apparently.

Do you mind telling us what kind of work you are in?

I also see that you are in SF and I am in SJ. I'm thinking this area might be a little too dependent on these type sites, but I dunno. Like put a few keywords on your resume that get their interest and then they will instantly scour every social network out there trying to find out what you are all about to the point that if you aren't on a lot of them they are going to find you suspect and just move on to somebody else.

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:01 pm

my job title is audiovisual consultant, which means i design av systems for construction projects. it is a very good business to be in right now, especially in the bay area. i get at least one recruiter call/email a month (just got a new one today actually).

i do think the tech industry probably used linkedin more than other industries. as far as other social networking sites, i do my best to hide my FB page from my professional web presence. page set to private, fake last name, etc.

i honestly only go to linked in when someone contacts me from there. other than building my basic profile and accepting contact requests, i don't really touch it.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:53 pm

I'm on Linked In so the next time I get laid off I can get a head start looking for my next job by hitting up all my ex-coworkers. In my career it's not a question of "if" but "when" :cry:

That's all I use it for.

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 pm

A few years ago I spoke with a girl who claimed she used Linked In as a dating site.